ADVERTISEMENT

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!

I was really impressed with how the Sentinels got far more penetration into the backfield in the second half. Did not allow much time for the Miners to consider the pass game.

Same with the Miners, not allowing FH to get into a rhythm.

Considering MR had just under an average score of 50 points per game in the playoffs and FH had just over an average score of 50 points per game in the playoffs, the championship game was a true defensive battle.

It also indicates how much better MR and FH are than all other 1A schools in MD..

Overcome Randy Savage GIF

The catch on the high snap late in the game where the fh punter jumped up, grabbed it, and got the punt off, was the play of the game. If that goes over his head mr is deep in fh territory and that could have been just enough with not a lot of time left.

The catch on the high snap late in the game where the fh punter jumped up, grabbed it, and got the punt off, was the play of the game. If that goes over his head mr is deep in fh territory and that could have been just enough with not a lot of time left.
I truly believe the play of the game was the swing pass to Mikey. If I’m not mistaken that was on 4th down and possibly the only swing pass of the game. In my humble opinion if they would have thrown some screens and swing passes would have been an easy victory.

There are many “plays of the game” in a tight game. FH’s #12 made a key tackle on a scrambling MR #8 late in the 3rd Qtr to force a punt. #8 would have picked up the first down and maybe 30+ more yards. I told the guys I was sitting with that if FH wins the game that play was key.

Last edited:
The swing pass to Mikey set up the FG. I believe it was second down. Then Daniels ran to the right to center the ball for the kick on 3rd.

Also Cohen's punt after the holding call on the previous punt, pinning Ridge deep to run out the first half. That was a gorgeous punt.

Did Ridge even get past their own 30 in the second half?

Reactions: ravemwp and Tony54
There are many “plays of the game” in a tight game. FH’s #12 made a key tackle on a scrambling MR #8 late in the 3rd Qtr to force a punt. #8 would have picked up the first down and maybe 30+ more yards. I told the guys I was sitting with that if FH wins the game that play was key.
End of 1st half MR #8 breaks free for 40 yd gain. If Allen doesn't catch him for a touchdown saving tackle he scores right before the half giving MR a 21-13 lead. Gives MR all the momentum, and changes completely how the 2nd half is played by both teams. Many, many unsung big plays in a game like this.

Last edited:
It was the Fort Hill defense in the 2nd half that won this game.
It was the Mountain Ridge defense in the 2nd half that almost won this game.
MR 217 1st half yards. MR 23 total yards in the 2nd half. Great halftime adjustments.

Reactions: Tony54
It was the Fort Hill defense in the 2nd half that won this game.
It was the Mountain Ridge defense in the 2nd half that almost won this game.
After that performance, and what has been a consistent unit all year, I don't see how whoever is running the D is not our most valuable everything. MR broke records this year, they were averaging over 40 points a game...14 points is dam impressive.
Having said that, all the talk this season about FH's offense and the spread and the hurry up and the lack of a fb and back to the wing-t and then the I and some wildcat, I hope the coaches can figure out their identity and just stick with it all season. Making an adjustment is one thing but they got away from the wing-t way too much and it showed. Never go into a season without a fb again...#3 could have started slow, a few carries the first game, 5 the second, and build him up. I think he could have been more of an asset than what we had.
On that note, I love what MR does with their qb, the way they utilize that position is a huge stress on the defense. Imagine #5 for FH running that offense. It's not just running, it's running to the edge with an option to hand off on a reverse, with the option of throwing a 5 yard pass to a back that then can use their speed to a huge gain with they did. FH looked slow to me when the MR qb was scampering all over the field, I felt like he could break it all the way at any minute. If I made the call I would get rid of the traditional qb position and do exactly what MR is doing. Hey copying is the sincerest form of flattery right? Use that position as another runner that occasionally throw the short pass which is what we have been yelling about. Anybody can be taught to throw the ball 5 - 10 yards so why not get more from the position than we are. It also might deter the OC from throwing the ball 30 or 40 yards downfield wasting a down over and over. My two cents!

Reactions: ravemwp
The problem I have with the wing T is not the formation itself. It's the (perceived) lack of utilization of the whole formation the way I saw it this year. You can do a TON more out of the wing T than just the same three plays.

After that performance, and what has been a consistent unit all year, I don't see how whoever is running the D is not our most valuable everything. MR broke records this year, they were averaging over 40 points a game...14 points is dam impressive.
Having said that, all the talk this season about FH's offense and the spread and the hurry up and the lack of a fb and back to the wing-t and then the I and some wildcat, I hope the coaches can figure out their identity and just stick with it all season. Making an adjustment is one thing but they got away from the wing-t way too much and it showed. Never go into a season without a fb again...#3 could have started slow, a few carries the first game, 5 the second, and build him up. I think he could have been more of an asset than what we had.
On that note, I love what MR does with their qb, the way they utilize that position is a huge stress on the defense. Imagine #5 for FH running that offense. It's not just running, it's running to the edge with an option to hand off on a reverse, with the option of throwing a 5 yard pass to a back that then can use their speed to a huge gain with they did. FH looked slow to me when the MR qb was scampering all over the field, I felt like he could break it all the way at any minute. If I made the call I would get rid of the traditional qb position and do exactly what MR is doing. Hey copying is the sincerest form of flattery right? Use that position as another runner that occasionally throw the short pass which is what we have been yelling about. Anybody can be taught to throw the ball 5 - 10 yards so why not get more from the position than we are. It also might deter the OC from throwing the ball 30 or 40 yards downfield wasting a down over and over. My two cents!
It’s been a weird year offensively for FH and that’s been beat to death all year but the QB designed runs has been a big part of FHs playbook over the past couple years going back to graves,Beal, and king. Blake Beal won FH a state title by running bootlegs. When FH made the switch to burns I thought for sure more QB runs would be coming.

I have to give credit to Richie as the OC. When the playoffs started he went back the FH bread and butter and didn’t get caught up in throwing it 20 times like everyone screamed for

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT