ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations and thanks for a fun time

Nov 2, 2010
I'm from the VA boards so I don't post here often, but just wanted to say I enjoyed the game and Cumberland in general. The game obviously didn't go the way I'd like, but that's how it goes sometimes. Fort Hill has a superb team, and I really wish Wagner and Entsminger didn't go down due to injuries, but that's also a part of the game. Hoping neither is too serious.

Next year Virginia is reorganizing how the Northwestern district (the one Sherando is in) is set up, and I know it's going to limit how many out-of-state schools we can schedule, but I'm hoping both schools get to play again in the future. I've been told Martinsburg is on the schedule again, but outside of that I'm not sure how many games they'll have to play against new district opponents. This was something that was finalized over the offseason due to travel and budget concerns as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, Fort Hill will go on to win the state championship I'm sure. At this point I have my doubts that Sherando will make the playoffs in Virginia even if we manage to win out, but given the youth on the team I'm sure they'll be a force next year.

Also a side note, shout out to the FH band. The performance was great and everyone stayed in step as far as I saw. I'm a band guy (or was, depending how you look at it), so I always end up looking for that sort of thing.

Best of luck the rest of the year and stay injury free. Lots of fantastic players on the FH squad and they're very well coached.

Thanks for the kinds words about the FH band. My daughter is in this great band. So was I a few decades ago! Good luck to Sheeando the rest of the way!

I'm from the VA boards so I don't post here often, but just wanted to say I enjoyed the game and Cumberland in general. The game obviously didn't go the way I'd like, but that's how it goes sometimes. Fort Hill has a superb team, and I really wish Wagner and Entsminger didn't go down due to injuries, but that's also a part of the game. Hoping neither is too serious.

Next year Virginia is reorganizing how the Northwestern district (the one Sherando is in) is set up, and I know it's going to limit how many out-of-state schools we can schedule, but I'm hoping both schools get to play again in the future. I've been told Martinsburg is on the schedule again, but outside of that I'm not sure how many games they'll have to play against new district opponents. This was something that was finalized over the offseason due to travel and budget concerns as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, Fort Hill will go on to win the state championship I'm sure. At this point I have my doubts that Sherando will make the playoffs in Virginia even if we manage to win out, but given the youth on the team I'm sure they'll be a force next year.

Also a side note, shout out to the FH band. The performance was great and everyone stayed in step as far as I saw. I'm a band guy (or was, depending how you look at it), so I always end up looking for that sort of thing.

Best of luck the rest of the year and stay injury free. Lots of fantastic players on the FH squad and they're very well coached.
Thanks for the kind words. Hope Sherando and Fort Hill can continue playing.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
classy post, Shruikan. Good luck the rest of the season.

has anyone heard from Hamspear? LOL

I saw that back and forth, and was my entertainment last week (except for the WVU win over TCU). You guys crack me up LOL...

I was fully prepared to go balls deep in that argument but for once, I let it go. I figure Fort Hill fans have already gained full control of this board and the West Virginia Board was in full melt down over Fort Hill issues this weekend already (this one wasn't our fault), I didn't have the hard to force feed the Big Red Machine on another State, so I decided we better just let Virginia alone, lol.

Reactions: bigsavage
It appears the Sherando vs. FH series will come to an end after just two years. The only open date Sherando has is September 15 and FH still has Hollidaysburg under contract for that week. Sherando was forced by league commitments, reclassifications and realignments to fill the October 21 slot where the game has been played the last two years. I'm sure we will hear many excuses and reasons why this game can no longer be played. So when it comes up, let this post be the explanation.

Could there be discussion with Hollidaysburg about the issue and things could be moved around? Or delay the Hollidaysburg game to a following year at another date?

We would never delay the game to another year. First off, Hollidaysburg would not be happy. When you have trouble finding games you don't drop one game under contract to pick up another. Options to move Hollidaysburg will be discussed. But that is the back end of the PA cycle and it's hard for those teams to move.

Todd, the Sherando AD mentioned having weeks 1, 2 and 3 open when he talked to the radio during pre-game last week. Hopefully if there is a solution to be had...it can be found.

Well there are certain things that are out of my control. I'm not the one that has to coach. The policy has generally been that FH doesn't tinker with the schedule until the season ends, which is usually December. Coaches are trying to win games, not deal with anything beyond that. They are literally focused on Mountain Ridge right now and nothing else and they transfer that philosophy to scheduling as well. I don't like it but I like winning games. So I don't interfere or try to disrupt the process. Other schools are trying to fill now, some try to fill when the season is over, some try to fill late in the spring. Sherando has our Week 3 open and that is it right now. Talking with them today. For FH to play Sherando it involves a lengthy process of moving Hollidaysburg and that is not where coaches want to shift their attention right now. I get that. But Sherando is also checking out what other options may exist for them too. They are adding 3 required league games with Fauquier, Liberty, and Kettle Run. And they wish to continue a long series with Jefferson and Martinsburg.

I'm not saying play all the Old CVAL schools, and I know we've talked about this, but it's pitiful to sit back and watch who some of those teams are playing now when Fort Hill and Cumberland make so much more sense. Musselman went to Chestnut Ridge and Greenbrier East this year, Greenbrier East, you know, Southern WV. They also drove literally through Cumberland to go to Morgantown, now I get that game but still, they probably stopped at D'Atri's or Patrick's for lunch, lol. Jefferson's schedule is geographically perfect for them except that they travelled through Cumberland to go an hour and a half further to beat Fairmont Sr., a WV AA team just like us. Hedgesville has struggled but they passed through Cumberland and had lunch at Puccini's en route to playing Preston 45 more minutes out the road. OK, I'll give them a pass for that because they got a WV 3A win for it.

Preston County is another one that gets me, not an old CVAL foe but they are less than an hour a way. They struggle in football but it is a huge school, they would be Maryland 3A points for us probably. They too travelled all the way down to Southern West Virginia to play Greenbrier East and get spanked this year. Why not just travel under an hour to Cumberland to get spanked, stop for dinner in Grantsville at Penn Alps along the way, munch on Stadium Pizza after the game. Seriously, have we ever called Preston? What a honey hole?

Heck, since Greenbrier East is playing all these Northern WV teams why not get ahold of them? Hey, Billionaire Jim Justice may let us play the game at the Greenbrier at their new NFL Training Camp Stadium (New Orleans Saints), Justice may even finance the whole thing.

I've said this before (over the years), and not sure why I'm bringing it up again, but there are MANY schools in VA, and not any further than Lettuce is suggesting, that knocking on their doors might make sense. From successful 1A Clarke County in Berryville (a couple miles from Sherando), Mill Brook, Woodgrove, Loudoun Valley, Stone Bridge, Tuscarora (Leesburg), Broad Run, Briar Woods, on-and-on-and-on... The response will likely be from most "we have a full schedule", BUT someone may have an opening, and worth the time to try. There are SOOOOO many schools in VA finding a game is not a problem for them. As stated, VA (entire state) is going through a revamp of their conferences & schedule next year, and that could leave someone looking for a game - maybe. Schedules are set for two years. My son coaches in Fairfax County, which is a different animal than the schools in Fredrick County, but looking a little further east (Clarke & Loudoun) counties could be worth a shot.

I was fully prepared to go balls deep in that argument but for once, I let it go. I figure Fort Hill fans have already gained full control of this board and the West Virginia Board was in full melt down over Fort Hill issues this weekend already (this one wasn't our fault), I didn't have the hard to force feed the Big Red Machine on another State, so I decided we better just let Virginia alone, lol.
I agree, it wasn't worth it, and lowering ones self to their level is not becoming. FH made their point on the field. Nuf said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT