ADVERTISEMENT

Briar Woods

Argox66

All State Poster
Oct 30, 2017
Briar Woods has a score to settle with FH. Can they make good on that? I know this year it’s probably going to be a much closer game. Their team has more seasoned players compared to last year, and the young Sentinels are in a state of growth and development.

1A FH got their attention last year and the Falcons haven’t stopped looking at Western MD since that drubbing in their house.

What’s the outcome this round? Would this be a team to schedule again down the road if possible?

What say you?

Briar Woods had a bye this week. I’m sure they are going to be ready for Fort Hill. . Regardless of the opponent. Fort Hill made huge strides with the quarterback play and the secondary. After tonight, I don’t see Briar Woods winning this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: PowerRamRight
I think the only thing we can be certain of is that BW will not come out in the same defense they did last year.

Fort Hill by. 7 to 10 points. If Fort Hill wins by more than that amount Ridge and the rest of 1a is in for a beating.

Two weeks ago BW lost to a team that they should have beaten. In that game BW was without three two-way starters. Their two best receivers were out as well as their running back. In scanning the sidelines of BW, the first receiver was in a hard cast, I don't think that he will play. Number 9 appeared to be in a boot, he may be good to go this week. I think that he is a better LB than WR. Number 23 is their main RB and he is also their MLB. He's a good kid and very fast. He was dressed two weeks ago but didn't play. (This says more about the coach here than anything else. He has a kid that could be a game changer but didn't put him on the field due to not being 100%. Kudos to the coach for that.) Now for what BW has is a very good QB who can pass and run as well. FH has to keep him contained. They used #8 in the backfield. He's bigger than #23 and runs hard. I enjoyed watching this kid play. Think of a 70's FB, that's what you got here. This kid also plays LB and he can play the game. If this kid doesn't make the tackle, he is at least around the ball. In my opinion he is the best athlete on their team. FH will have to get a hat on him. BW' line is bigger than FH but they are not as physical. These battles could be a tossup. I'd say that FH has the edge in the kicking game and speed. BW does not kick the ball very deep consistently. With that said their return kids get north and south in a hurry. I've seen them get really decent returns just by running straight down the field, no dancing needed.

At the beginning of the year, I thought that this is one of the games that FH could lose, but this week I'm giving them the nod. Hopefully, I'm right, but it'll be a good game for sure.

I don’t see FH losing at the friendly confines of greenway. It should be a good game but FH gets the nod.

FH 28- 16

Reactions: Tony54
I think travel will hurt Briar Woods. Loudoun teams rarely venture this far for games.

I think travel will hurt Briar Woods. Loudoun teams rarely venture this far for games.
it's 2 hours, I'm sure The kids have been on a 2 hour trip before, it's not like a college team flying across the Country and playing in a totally different time zone

Briar Woods is a very good football team. Their two losses came against John Champe (5-0) and North Stafford (3-1). Their senior QB Brady Carmical is committed to play football at Navy. He is a big gunslinger (6'2, 220) and is one of their top runners. Going to be a close game. Hopefully the officials are not interested in throwing 18 combined penalties this week.

The big question is whether Briar Woods can slow down the rushing attack. FH crushed them last year between the tackles. But no way FH pitches a shut out like last year.

Briar Woods is a very good football team. Their two losses came against John Champe (5-0) and North Stafford (3-1). Their senior QB is committed to play football at Navy. He is a big gunslinger (6'2, 220) and is one of their top runners. Going to be a close game. Hopefully the officials are not interested in throwing 18 combined penalties this week.
Weird to see gunslinger and navy recruit int the same sentence HAHA. Congratulations to the kid, can’t wait to see him play

I live right down the way from Briar Woods in Ashburn. Good kids. Good facilities. Good program. Remember, they haven’t forgotten the shellacking they took from FH last year. They’ll be up and hyped for this game.

Any chance they resign with FH especially if they win or the game is close this year?
This will be the last year for Briar Woods and FH. The two year contract is up and Briar Woods and their league will go through a restructuring of schools next fall, which filled their 2025 schedule.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
it's 2 hours, I'm sure The kids have been on a 2 hour trip before, it's not like a college team flying across the Country and playing in a totally different time zone
2 hour trip for a program that might leave their county once a year for a game is a lot.

Touchdown Falcons

14-0 just before the half.

Turnovers and penalties a huge factor so far

Briar woods offense is amazing to watch at the high school level. It’s refreshing to see a coach understand down and distances as well as BW does. Every other team FH plays turns into a shuck and duck offense when they are put in a 2nd or 3rd in long, BW just runs a simple 6-7 yard pass with multiple options in the pattern and gets to 3rd or 4th and manageable. I will easily say this was the best offense that FH has faced since Wadsworth

FH conceded this game at halftime.

But Briar Woods is far superior this year, agreed. Their QB is the best we've seen in this stadium in a while.
The whole 2nd quarter was a gut punch for FH. Cassel throws the INT leading to a short field, FH plays bend but don’t break defense and gets a massive 4th down stop, then FH comes out and gets the ball literally ripped away from them leading to another short field, I can’t wait to see the replay on the 2nd BW touchdown to see how close FH to picking it off or knocking it down. The pass seemed to go through the FH players hands. Just one massive gut punch and not being able to get off the field on 4th down was just back breaking

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Another fumble and turnover for Fort Hill. It’s one thing when the team is better than you, but it’s another thing when you keep beating yourself with penalties and turnovers. They have some work to do, but they’ll be back.

Reactions: Tony54 and hbpass2
Another fumble and turnover for Fort Hill. It’s one thing when the team is better than you, but it’s another thing when you keep beating yourself with penalties and turnovers. They have some work to do, but they’ll be back.
This team was much better than FH though. But yeah these types of penalties and mistakes are crucial against an evenly matched team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT