ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Parasiliti's column on the playoffs

The bottom line is that the MPSSAA sold out their own student-athletes. They split into 6 classes permanently for MPSSAA post season money, period.

In my opinion it all boils down to the all mighty dollar. The state is getting all the money from the gates of every playoff game played. That is a sh!t ton of money. Especially with the six divisions now, and five weeks of postseason play.

Amen! MPSSAA has ruined Maryland High School football, especially in 1A, especially in Western MD. Nothing to look forward to. Nobody to offer a real challenge to a great program like FH. It will be FH vs MR again for a watered down 1A title. And we all pretty much knew this on Labor Day. So it does feel like we are all just going through the motions.

It's seems it is always about the almighty dollar. Let me preface this by saying that I am not a proponent of everyone gets in, but it begs for me to ask another question. I'm sure some one on here knows this answer. Under this new system wouldn't it create the opportunity for more regular season games for teams who wouldn't play each other under the previous system for fear of losing points to qualify. If I remember correctly, for instance in the 70s, and 80s county schools and other Md. publics got penalized for playing Bishop Walsh, and other privates with the old point system. I could be misremembering, but for some reason I remember BW having trouble scheduling after the county schools became eligible for the states in 1974 season. Not sure, Just asking. Trying to find a positive from a somewhat unusual circumstance.

Last edited:
It's seems it is always about the almighty dollar. Let me preface this by saying that I am not a proponent of everyone gets in, but it begs for me to ask another question. I'm sure some one on here knows this answer. Under this new system wouldn't it create the opportunity for more regular season games for teams who wouldn't play each other under the previous system for fear of losing points to qualify. If I remember correctly, for instance in the 70s, and 80s county schools and other Md. publics got penalized for playing Bishop Walsh, and other privates with the old point system. I could be misremembering, but for some reason I remember BW having trouble scheduling after the county schools became eligible for the states in 1974 season. Not sure, Just asking. Trying to find a positive from a somewhat unusual circumstance.
I don't recall Bishop Walsh ever having any troubles scheduling county schools. They played FH from the advent of the playoff system through 1996 and I believe they played Allegany even longer. I remember them playing Westmar and Beall often. They counted towards the points.

I have dealt with this on a weekly basis for the last 15 years. In a nutshell, there is not a high school coach alive at a big or small program that doesn't pucker up at the sound of higher level competition. Unless you are someone like St. Frances of course - the top of the heap. Every single football coach here and there avoids playing teams better then their team. Everybody, including FH and Martinsburg and the Dunbar's in our world. It is the nature of today's beast. Changing the system to where everyone makes the playoffs did not change this fact unfortunately. Now the excuse moved from making the playoffs to getting home field in the playoffs to getting someone injured. Trust me on this.

I don't recall Bishop Walsh ever having any troubles scheduling county schools. They played FH from the advent of the playoff system through 1996 and I believe they played Allegany even longer. I remember them playing Westmar and Beall often. They counted towards the points.
Yes they continued to play, but I dont think they were happy about it.I think that the problem was that if FH or Alco beat BW they weren't allotted the same amount of points that they would have received if beating another public school, and if losing to BW they were really penalized. Maybe it had to do with the size of BW at the time. I thought I remember FH and Alco having to schedule up a level to make up the difference in points. I am not positive about this but I'm sure someone on here is. I don't think it affected Beall, and Westmar the same, because they played down a level. I could be way off here, but my point was that even though the current system isn't really good, maybe some better regular season games can come of it.

Last edited:
I have dealt with this on a weekly basis for the last 15 years. In a nutshell, there is not a high school coach alive at a big or small program that doesn't pucker up at the sound of higher level competition. Unless you are someone like St. Frances of course - the top of the heap. Every single football coach here and there avoids playing teams better then their team. Everybody, including FH and Martinsburg and the Dunbar's in our world. It is the nature of today's beast. Changing the system to where everyone makes the playoffs did not change this fact unfortunately. Now the excuse moved from making the playoffs to getting home field in the playoffs to getting someone injured. Trust me on this.
So did I just hear you say that yes we probably should get better regular season games under this system, but that it probably won't ever happen. Sad we can't get it right. Thanks for helping clear that up.

So did I just hear you say that yes we probably should get better regular season games under this system, but that it probably won't ever happen. Sad we can't get it right. Thanks for helping clear that up.
My big hope with this new playoff system was to get better regular season games because there wouldn't be the stress of scheduling to ensure you make the playoffs. But as Todd stated, now people are scheduling for home field advantage, which in my opinion, doesn't mean that terribly much in HS football except for the comfort of playing at home and less travel. For the most part, in high school football, if you cant beat a team on the road, you probably aren't going to beat them at home either so I think its a weak excuse.

I will say, some teams have at least attempted to up their schedule. Lets be honest, 10 years ago in the 3A West, there would have been absolutely zero chance of Oakdale playing Fort Hill. Probably wouldn't have seen Gwynn Park on Oakdale's schedule either. Urbana has played Sherwood in back to back years and St. Mary's Ryken last year. These are games that wouldn't have been scheduled a few years ago. So it is happening but unfortunately, not to the level that I, or probably many others, had hoped. I believe we get another reclassification next year so we will see what matchups that may bring.

Last edited:
No doubt that’s true. I’m not sure how long FH can keep up this level of play but i would love to see them play Wise or Quince Orchard.

Reactions: ravemwp
My big hope with this new playoff system was to get better regular season games because there wouldn't be the stress of scheduling to ensure you make the playoffs. But as Todd stated, now people are scheduling for home field advantage, which in my opinion, doesn't mean that terribly much in HS football except for the comfort of playing at home and less travel. For the most part, in high school football, if you cant beat a team on the road, you probably aren't going to beat them at home either so I think its a weak excuse.

I will say, some teams have at least attempted to up their schedule. Lets be honest, 10 years ago in the 3A West, there would have been absolutely zero chance of Oakdale playing Fort Hill. Probably wouldn't have seen Gwynn Park on Oakdale's schedule either. Urbana has played Sherwood in back to back years and St. Mary's Ryken last year. These are games that wouldn't have been scheduled a few years ago. So it is happening but unfortunately, not to the level that I, or probably many others, had hoped. I believe we get another reclassification next year so we will see what matchups that may bring.

I would like to find another Frederick County school to play FH next year. That isn't so easy, even when I have multiple open dates.

Washington County is not an option due to competition factors. Nor is WV anymore. PA locked into leagues. It's still brutal.

I would like to find another Frederick County school to play FH next year. That isn't so easy, even when I have multiple open dates.

Washington County is not an option due to competition factors. Nor is WV anymore. PA locked into leagues. It's still brutal.
Hey

What about Bridgeport?. They seem to put a good product on the field each year. My dream matchup was Middletown during the Ty Johnson years. they had some great teams then also. Even Dunbar would be great., They are getting a lot of respect around the state.

Last edited:
I thought for years that adding a class or two would be beneficial for the smaller schools (like Northern), and ultimately feel the added classes themselves isn't as much of a problem as the format is. The open tournament and the opting out is a problem. I don't blame the Hancock's for not wanting to play FH, but from a fairness perspective, is it fair for Northern and Alco to have to play a game while thier next opponent gets a bye? A straight 1-8 or 1-16 with no regions would be best for football, in my opinion. The Olympic sports, keep the regions to a point maybe get to region finalists then go Statewide. Also maybe create a competition rule: if you win x number of state titles in a row in x sport, then you must play up a class for one reclass cycle. Just my thoughts.

I thought for years that adding a class or two would be beneficial for the smaller schools (like Northern), and ultimately feel the added classes themselves isn't as much of a problem as the format is. The open tournament and the opting out is a problem. I don't blame the Hancock's for not wanting to play FH, but from a fairness perspective, is it fair for Northern and Alco to have to play a game while thier next opponent gets a bye? A straight 1-8 or 1-16 with no regions would be best for football, in my opinion. The Olympic sports, keep the regions to a point maybe get to region finalists then go Statewide. Also maybe create a competition rule: if you win x number of state titles in a row in x sport, then you must play up a class for one reclass cycle. Just my thoughts.
The MPSSAA had it right just before COVID hit with the understanding they were never going to remove regions. Some admins and coaches attempting to change the playoff format through the years have banged their head against that proverbial brick wall for decades - trying to remove regions and go straight 1-16 seed like West Virginia does. There is, was and never will be any bend there from the MPSSAA with removing regions.

Moving on with that understanding...4 classes, 8 teams in each region make the playoffs. That was the way to do it. COVID and the loss of money screwed it all up. The previous version where only the top 4 teams in each region made the playoffs without ever having to play other teams in the region was as stupid as it gets.

In regards to teams getting a bye in the first round - that's the way most systems reward successful regular season teams whether it be youth league, high school and even the NFL. The MPSSAA basketball tournament does the same in regards to bye weeks. But I agree, it makes no sense for Hancock or Clear Spring to play FH and Mtn Ridge in a first round playoff football game. This current system is worse than any of them. It's so watered down.

I would hope that they are still experimenting with this new classification format to still identify the classifications as 4A/3A and 2A/1A opposed to 6A thru 1A.

I have always thought the worst thing they do is try to make each classification equal in the number of schools.
I think it would be much better if it were something like this
1A 501 and Under =25 Currently
2A 501-750= 32 Currently
3A 751-1100= 52 Currently
4A 1101-1400= 36 Currently
5A 1400+= 40 Currently

in this scenario FH currently would be 1A but most years would jump back to 2A and possibly 3A
Small Schools like Northern Garrett would have many chances to win state titles in not just football but other sports by actually playing Schools that are close in enrollment numbers.

I have always thought the worst thing they do is try to make each classification equal in the number of schools.
I think it would be much better if it were something like this
1A 501 and Under =25 Currently
2A 501-750= 32 Currently
3A 751-1100= 52 Currently
4A 1101-1400= 36 Currently
5A 1400+= 40 Currently

in this scenario FH currently would be 1A but most years would jump back to 2A and possibly 3A
Small Schools like Northern Garrett would have many chances to win state titles in not just football but other sports by actually playing Schools that are close in enrollment numbers.
Without trying to disrespect any program, the Garrett County schools and many Washington County schools have never won a football state championship since Maryland implemented one in 1975. No matter what format was used it's just not likely. You can't all of the sudden build a system based on those teams getting a shot at a state title.

I'd go for five classes, but you know that they would have to be as even as possible. (Too many victims out there.) They can even keep the regions, however, just give #1 and 2 a bye and let 3 -6 play in to face the top two finishers. That's basically what is going on now with the bottom teams opting out

I really think that we are stuck with a five week playoff system no matter what. The State is seeing dollar signs, once that happens, no amount of rational talk will matter.

Something has to give. Way to many blowouts. Tonight's battle of the unbeaten. FH and MR a combined 10-0, yet only one game of the 10 was competitive, Fort Hill v Old Mill. It seems the rest are turning into glorified scrimmages. I've always known that student athletes would rather play the best competition available to them. At some point the grown ups and administrators need to put the kids first. I learned many years ago that most of the time you will learn more about yourself as a player, and a team, by winning or losing a close competitive game, then you ever will beating teams 62-7. I know that the location of Allegany County poses some traveling issues, but I'm seeing now that the adults in the room may be the bigger problem. The kids not only need, but also want the competition. I hope they find a solution soon. These 50-0 games become very uninteresting very quickly. Coaches and administrators think of the kids please.

Without trying to disrespect any program, the Garrett County schools and many Washington County schools have never won a football state championship since Maryland implemented one in 1975. No matter what format was used it's just not likely. You can't all of the sudden build a system based on those teams getting a shot at a state title.
but the problem is Schools like Northern Garrett 354 or so students shouldn't be competing against schools with 600 students in the first place. Hancock 103 is that much worse. I know it wasn't long ago these same schools were playing against Schools that had 800 students in Class 1A
These Schools like Northern are usually about half the size of Fort Hill, Allegany or Mountain Ridge
it sure wouldn't fair for FH to be playing Team twice their enrollment or they would be playing 4A

WV
Class A 450 and Below
Class AA 451-800
Class AAA 801 and up

and Pennsylvania seems to have all the small schools in the same class as well without a big difference in the numbers

Something has to give. Way to many blowouts. Tonight's battle of the unbeaten. FH and MR a combined 10-0, yet only one game of the 10 was competitive, Fort Hill v Old Mill. It seems the rest are turning into glorified scrimmages. I've always known that student athletes would rather play the best competition available to them. At some point the grown ups and administrators need to put the kids first. I learned many years ago that most of the time you will learn more about yourself as a player, and a team, by winning or losing a close competitive game, then you ever will beating teams 62-7. I know that the location of Allegany County poses some traveling issues, but I'm seeing now that the adults in the room may be the bigger problem. The kids not only need, but also want the competition. I hope they find a solution soon. These 50-0 games become very uninteresting very quickly. Coaches and administrators think of the kids please.
I do believe that’s one of the reasons why the crowds are small. I live out of town now but I always try to pick out one or two games that I can go to each year. it’s hard to get excited for Fort Hill versus Green Street. even though Green Street is winning this year and very well may beat Joppatowne tonight😂 It’s kind of funny though that we are all bitching about Fort Hill being that dominant. We may be very spoiled🤣🤣

Unfortunately 2 drubbings of Oakdale isn’t going to help the cause of getting another Frederick County team on the schedule. I can’t tell you how much heat I have taken for suggesting that Linganore beef up the non-conference schedule a bit. I always get, Frederick County is good enough, no need to go crazy by getting a decent out of county opponent. I’d rather be tested week in, week out than roll through teams and not get that much out of it come playoff time. Hopefully some teams will see the light since it doesn’t appear this playoff system is going anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT