ADVERTISEMENT

Any word on the Allegany players....

We should all know by Monday afternoon. The boy that got ejected is probably gone. He was the only one that the refs ejected. I watched the NFHS replay, three Alco players sprinted from the sidelines right into the skirmish. about four other players stepped out onto the field but an Alco coach got in front of them and kept them from going any further. I know what the rules say but I'm thinking that only the three who went into the skirmish may be in jeopardy.

I couldn't get off here without giving kudos to the coach who prevented the Alco kids from entering the field. Not only did he help in deescalating the situation, but he may have given some of his kids another game to play. Sorry I don't know who this coach is, but he was clearly in charge of his team. (You can see the entire incident on NFHS.) He did an outstanding job.

Reactions: ravemwp
The rule for ejections in playoffs that were just sent out this week:

MPSSAA State Tournament Ejection Reporting

This is a reminder to all local educational agencies (LEA) when the MPSSAA state tournament begins with the regional rounds, any ejections must be reported by both the local official’s association and the LEA to the MPSSAA office the next day.

Any ejection by coach or player will result in an automatic disqualification from the next tournament contests (current season or 2024 season). LEA’s are responsible for ensuring those individuals do not participate in the next contest.

The MPSSAA Executive Council has approved a two-contest disqualification for egregious behavior. Any ejection will result in a two-contest disqualification that is reported for:

Fighting

Physical or verbal personal attacks towards others

Use of racial, ethnic, homophobic or other derogatory or discriminatory language, slurs, or practices.

Local educational agencies will be expected to note the severity of the official’s report during the postseason. These additional penalties should not replace local educational agency actions. Interscholastic athletics are educational based programs that are an extension of the school day. It is the opinion of the MPSSAA that actions inconsistent with the school’s vision should be dealt with in a similar fashion as if the actions occurred during the course of a normal school day.

Local educational agencies are encouraged to provide restorative educational opportunities for individuals and/or teams who may be impacted by instances of egregious behavior and/or misconduct detrimental to the tournament. Individuals and/or teams are expected to comply and participate in restorative practices, aligned with the values and mission of education-based athletics.

COMAR 13A.06.03.07C(12) – The rules of the MPSSAA do not provide authority to order games replayed. Protests arising from decisions and interpretations by officials during the game will not be considered. Officials’ decisions and interpretations are final.

Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association (MPSSAA)
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201

Last edited:
So if I read that last line correctly, they won't go and check film. The official ejected only #10 so that is it.

So if I read that last line correctly, they won't go and check film. The official ejected only #10 so that is it.
I think they mean that no games will be replayed out of protests due to official's interpretations.

Just re-watched it. #2, #5, and #10 were the three that appeared to come off of the sidelines. We know #10 is out as he was ejected, if those other two also have to miss the game Friday, that's a big blow to Allegany.

I think they mean that no games will be replayed out of protests due to official's interpretations.
I read it as meaning if the officials didn't eject them, you can't go back and change the officials decision at a later date. I really don't know if they can look at film and change their minds either way at a later date.

Yeah that last part is just talking about playing games under protest. It doesn't usurp the the governing body from investigating as needed. Basically if they go back and say there are additional players that are to be suspended for a game, Allegany can't protest that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT