ADVERTISEMENT

Alleganys schedule

cumbfanatic

Franchise Poster
Sep 13, 2009
Alleganys schedule is set with 10 games. If it goes to 9 games they will replace Southern with FH. Thats because the 9th game is against Southern, so they will move FH to that spot

Reactions: towpath94
Lackey, Perry, Mt. Ridge, Albert Gallatin, Silver Oak, Boonsboro, Keyser, Northern, Southern, FH

State is voting on changing the playoff system. Teams will play 9 games, more teams from each region make playoffs. Looks like its going happen

Reactions: Redwhite90
State is voting on changing the playoff system. Teams will play 9 games, more teams from each region make playoffs. Looks like its going happen
I'm still confused as to how all of that is going to work

Im not sure either. Regular season will be 1 week shorter, 8 teams from each region will make the playoffs I think. Playoffs will be 1 or 2 weeks longer

Im not sure either. Regular season will be 1 week shorter, 8 teams from each region will make the playoffs I think. Playoffs will be 1 or 2 weeks longer
From how it's been explained to me it seems pointless, and not really all that different from what we have now

From how it's been explained to me it seems pointless, and not really all that different from what we have now
You are right not much difference. I believe they will have 8 teams in each region as opposed to four. Can't remember what region but pretty sure one only had 7 teams in it. I guess the state will realign the region's

You are right not much difference. I believe they will have 8 teams in each region as opposed to four. Can't remember what region but pretty sure one only had 7 teams in it. I guess the state will realign the region's
From what I got out of was there is no more region champion. The state reseeds when they get down to 8 teams.

TD said the state will not get rid of the regional format so nothing is really changing at all, except now 71% percent of all schools will make the football playoffs; 32 teams out of the 45 in each class with 8 from each region in a Regional Set up not different than now. You will still have scenarios occur where the two or three best teams in a class may be in the same region and will have to battle it out for a Region Championship. It will add just two more weeks of blowout scenarios in the playoffs. If there is a reseeding at some point prior to the semis it would be a more interesting as we could see some cross state matchups and possible local rivals face off deeper in the playoffs.

dumbest thing ever, there is other states that are much larger than Maryland that have 16 or 32 Teams and yet they still play 10 game Regular Season. All that has to be done is Start a week or 2 earlier.
South Carolina starts 3 weeks before Maryland now and it's much Hotter there than Hear.
Still funny they say it's to expensive for travel when other States are so much larger than us and can do it the right way. The State takes in money at the gate, they don't need to pay for anything other than Officials and 1 Bus for the Team, Charter Bus for anyone going more than 2 hours and School bus for anything under 2 hours.

Reactions: beall02
Here is what the 2018 Class 1A playoffs this year would have looked like with the new regions and the new format. Just to give an example I will assume and move the top seeded team forward. The top 8 teams in each region play each other through the first two rounds. Two teams from each region are then declared Regional Co-Champion. Then they take the top 8 regional co-champions that are left and reseed them into the quarterfinals of the third round, just like we currently have done with the semifinals.

WEST
FIRST ROUND
(8) Clear Spring at (1) Fort Hill
(5) Mountain Ridge at (4) Southern Garrett
(6) Brunswick at (3) Boonsboro
(7) Allegany at (2) Catoctin

SECOND ROUND
(4) Southern Garrett at (1) Fort Hill
(3) Boonsboro at (2) Catoctin

NORTH
FIRST ROUND
(8) Francis Scott Key at (1) Dunbar
(5) Douglass-Balt at (4) Reginald Lewis
(6) New Era at (3) Lake Clifton
(7) Carver Vo-Tech at (2) Edmondson-Westside

SECOND ROUND
(4) Reginald Lewis at (1) Dunbar
(3) Lake Clifton at (2) Edmondson-Westside

SOUTH
FIRST ROUND
(8) Friendly at (1) Fairmont Heights
(5) Western STES at (4) Largo
(6) Loch Raven at (3) Randallstown
(7) McDonough at (2) Gwynn Park

SECOND ROUND
(4) Largo at (1) Fairmont Heights
(3) Randallstown at (2) Gwynn Park

EAST
FIRST ROUND
(8) Washington at (1) Havre de Grace
(5) Bohemia Manor at (4) Colonel Richardson
(6) Kent County at (3) Perryville
(7) Joppatowne at (2) Cambridge-SD

SECOND ROUND
(4) Colonel Richardson at (1) Havre de Grace
(3) Perryville at (2) Cambridge-SD

THIRD ROUND
(8) Gwynn Park at (1) Dunbar
(5) Havre de Grace at (4) Edmondson-Westside
(6) Fairmont Heights at (3) Catoctin
(7) Cambridge-SD at (2) Fort Hill

FOURTH ROUND - SEMIFINALS
(4) Edmondson-Westside at (1) Dunbar
(3) Catoctin at (2) Fort Hill

OPEN BRACKET (Consolation Games)
WEST
Hancock at Northern Garrett
Williamsport at Smithsburg

NORTH
Benjamin Franklin at Forest Park
NAF (Bye)

SOUTH
Central at Pikesville
Surrattsville (Bye)

EAST
Snow Hill at Patterson Mill
Fallston (Bye)

Keep in mind the MPSSAA has already realigned classes and regions with their last proposal - which you can see at this link:
https://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/Proposed_Classifications__For_Each_Sport_19-21.pdf

Also, the MPSSAA will now be sport specific just like in Pennsylvania. In other words...Boonsboro will be Class 1A in Football, but Class 2A in boys soccer. Dunbar will be Class 1A in football, but Class 2A in boys basketball.

Also of note locally...the Homecoming game between Allegany and Fort Hill will now get bumped up to Week 9 (or Halloween basically).

Here is what the 2018 Class 1A playoffs this year would have looked like with the new regions and the new format. Just to give an example I will assume and move the top seeded team forward. The top 8 teams in each region play each other through the first two rounds. Two teams from each region are then declared Regional Co-Champion. Then they take the top 8 regional co-champions that are left and reseed them into the quarterfinals of the third round, just like we currently have done with the semifinals.

WEST
FIRST ROUND
(8) Clear Spring at (1) Fort Hill
(5) Mountain Ridge at (4) Southern Garrett
(6) Brunswick at (3) Boonsboro
(7) Allegany at (2) Catoctin

SECOND ROUND
(4) Southern Garrett at (1) Fort Hill
(3) Boonsboro at (2) Catoctin

NORTH
FIRST ROUND
(8) Francis Scott Key at (1) Dunbar
(5) Douglass-Balt at (4) Reginald Lewis
(6) New Era at (3) Lake Clifton
(7) Carver Vo-Tech at (2) Edmondson-Westside

SECOND ROUND
(4) Reginald Lewis at (1) Dunbar
(3) Lake Clifton at (2) Edmondson-Westside

SOUTH
FIRST ROUND
(8) Friendly at (1) Fairmont Heights
(5) Western STES at (4) Largo
(6) Loch Raven at (3) Randallstown
(7) McDonough at (2) Gwynn Park

SECOND ROUND
(4) Largo at (1) Fairmont Heights
(3) Randallstown at (2) Gwynn Park

EAST
FIRST ROUND
(8) Washington at (1) Havre de Grace
(5) Bohemia Manor at (4) Colonel Richardson
(6) Kent County at (3) Perryville
(7) Joppatowne at (2) Cambridge-SD

SECOND ROUND
(4) Colonel Richardson at (1) Havre de Grace
(3) Perryville at (2) Cambridge-SD

THIRD ROUND
(8) Gwynn Park at (1) Dunbar
(5) Havre de Grace at (4) Edmondson-Westside
(6) Fairmont Heights at (3) Catoctin
(7) Cambridge-SD at (2) Fort Hill

FOURTH ROUND - SEMIFINALS
(4) Edmondson-Westside at (1) Dunbar
(3) Catoctin at (2) Fort Hill

OPEN BRACKET (Consolation Games)
WEST
Hancock at Northern Garrett
Williamsport at Smithsburg

NORTH
Benjamin Franklin at Forest Park
NAF (Bye)

SOUTH
Central at Pikesville
Surrattsville (Bye)

EAST
Snow Hill at Patterson Mill
Fallston (Bye)

Keep in mind the MPSSAA has already realigned classes and regions with their last proposal - which you can see at this link:
https://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/Proposed_Classifications__For_Each_Sport_19-21.pdf

Also, the MPSSAA will now be sport specific just like in Pennsylvania. In other words...Boonsboro will be Class 1A in Football, but Class 2A in boys soccer. Dunbar will be Class 1A in football, but Class 2A in boys basketball.

Also of note locally...the Homecoming game between Allegany and Fort Hill will now get bumped up to Week 9 (or Halloween basically).

I'm sorry. It is the stupidest thing ever. All that just for four teams in each region to have the ability to say "we made the playoffs." It cheapens the playoffs if you ask me. I'd much rather keep it the way it is.

Who gets the money at the gates of all playoff games? MPSSAA? If they do than it makes sense.

Alleganys schedule is set with 10 games. If it goes to 9 games they will replace Southern with FH. Thats because the 9th game is against Southern, so they will move FH to that spot

Seems to me the MPSSAA should give schools some type of timeline in order to make such a change. It isnt going to be that easy for every school to accommodate such a move last minute.

I'm sorry. It is the stupidest thing ever. All that just for four teams in each region to have the ability to say "we made the playoffs." It cheapens the playoffs if you ask me. I'd much rather keep it the way it is.

Who gets the money at the gates of all playoff games? MPSSAA? If they do than it makes sense.

Most of the complaints about this new playoff system is that we are going to have ugly first round matchups. Yes, this is true; however, we already have ugly Week 10 games and ugly playoff games so there really isn't going to be much change there. Linganore had a running clock in 3 of their 4 playoff games, including the state semi-final. And anyone who saw that state semifinal game knows that Chesapeake had no business being there.

This isn't the greatest proposal but it has some good points. I do like the reseeding after the second round because it gives teams from the same region the opportunity to meet in the State Final and I think it will help keep some of the weaker region winners from advancing to the semi finals and getting blown out (ie Chesapeake). Also, football is losing numbers and schools are dropping programs completely. These tend to be schools where playoffs are few and far between, or even never at all. If just being able to say that "we made the playoffs" is enough to keep the sport afloat in some schools, is that really a bad thing?

As for the money, I believe that the gate from the first round will be split amongst the participating schools to make up for potential lost gate from a Week 10 game. After that, I believe everything goes to the MPSSAA like it does now.

ALLEGANY 2019 VARSITY FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Sept 6 Lackey Away
Sept 14 Perry (Pittsburgh)Home
Sept 20 Mt. Ridge Home
Sept 27 Albert Gallatin Home
Oct 4 Silver Oak Away
Oct 11 Boonsboro Home
Oct 18 Keyser Away
Oct 25 Northern Away
Nov 1 Southern Home
Nov 9 Fort Hill Away
**If voted for 9 games, just replace Southern with FH.

Most of the complaints about this new playoff system is that we are going to have ugly first round matchups. Yes, this is true; however, we already have ugly Week 10 games and ugly playoff games so there really isn't going to be much change there. Linganore had a running clock in 3 of their 4 playoff games, including the state semi-final. And anyone who saw that state semifinal game knows that Chesapeake had no business being there.

This isn't the greatest proposal but it has some good points. I do like the reseeding after the second round because it gives teams from the same region the opportunity to meet in the State Final and I think it will help keep some of the weaker region winners from advancing to the semi finals and getting blown out (ie Chesapeake). Also, football is losing numbers and schools are dropping programs completely. These tend to be schools where playoffs are few and far between, or even never at all. If just being able to say that "we made the playoffs" is enough to keep the sport afloat in some schools, is that really a bad thing?

As for the money, I believe that the gate from the first round will be split amongst the participating schools to make up for potential lost gate from a Week 10 game. After that, I believe everything goes to the MPSSAA like it does now.

I agree with you that it would be nice to have the reseed after the first two rounds. It does give the possibility of having teams from the same region in a State Championship game. And it is possible that this could help the State Semifinals as well as State Championship games be more competitive.

I know in the past that I have stated that among many reasons, the fact that the first round of the playoffs would be horrible (even worse than they currently are) is a reason why I don't want the 9+5 format, and it still is a reason for me. It isn't the sole reason however.

From what I am hearing we are heading towards the 9+5 format baring something strange happening. If I had to choose between the two I would stick with what we currently have.

Why drop Southern and not Northern? Keep the superior team and the potential points.

In my opinion, this is a better format than what we currently have. In tough regions it is possible that a team with only 2 losses does not make the playoffs in the existing system even though that team might be the best team in their region and possibly the best team in the state for their classification as those 2 losses could have been to a top private school and top 4A school. In the new format, a team won't have to worry as much about this scenario of being the best team in a region but not making the playoffs because of a couple losses to top tier teams. Sure the team could end up with 4 losses by scheduling good opponents and will be a lower seed, possibly even an 8 seed, but still can get in the playoffs and compete for a state championship, plus be challenged throughout the season by playing better competition. In the current system, it is a risk for teams to schedule larger schools outside of their conference because if they lose, they may not make the playoffs and miss the ultimate goal of winning a state championship at their classification.

I'm on board with OakdaleFootball and Lancer. Lancer summed it up better than I could. Yes there will be a bunch of first round blowouts, but how is that any different than the large amount of blowouts we already get with a 10 game regular season because teams refuse to play each other? Some regions like the 2A and 3A West have a brutal time trying not to schedule past an 8-2 record because 8-2 leaves you out of the playoffs. While in other regions teams under .500 are getting in. That is so ridiculous and it is way more ridiculous than having to watch blow outs in the first round. I know becuase I went to those MPSSAA football meetings and sat with coaches at places like South Hagerstown and Linganore.

Every sport in the MPSSAA, everyone makes the playoffs. Fans do not enjoy the first few rounds of blow outs in the other sports. But for some reason football is different to some people.

As I said, NO SYSTEM IS GOING TO MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY. That is where leaders are born...making tough decisions that are not going to make everyone happy. Kudos to the heads at the MPSSAA on this one. The majority has spoken. Every district but one voted YES on changing the current format. This is something missing from America today. God forbid we would upset the minority to make a change for what the majority wants. Democracy is gone.

The only problem will be that this may not get approved until April or beyond possibly. Everyone has to schedule for a 10 game season and the current playoff format (as we see with the Alco schedule). So you will not see teams picking up tougher opponents for 2019. They won't start playing better competition until 2020 and the new format is approved.

Most everyone is scheduling to make the playoffs. If you can't see this then you need to take your head out of the sand.

Last edited:
Why drop Southern and not Northern? Keep the superior team and the potential points.
They would have to drop Southern with this schedule because Southern is in the 9th week. Fort Hill would move back to week 9 and first round of playoffs would be week 10

dumbest thing ever, there is other states that are much larger than Maryland that have 16 or 32 Teams and yet they still play 10 game Regular Season. All that has to be done is Start a week or 2 earlier.
South Carolina starts 3 weeks before Maryland now and it's much Hotter there than Hear.
Still funny they say it's to expensive for travel when other States are so much larger than us and can do it the right way. The State takes in money at the gate, they don't need to pay for anything other than Officials and 1 Bus for the Team, Charter Bus for anyone going more than 2 hours and School bus for anything under 2 hours.
I agree with you. I still believe there is a way to have a 10-game regular season and still have this playoff format. Just start the same week that WV does. It would make scheduling easier for the Western MD schools also.

I have always wondered why Maryland waits until later in August to start their fall sports. In WV and many other states it is on or close to August 1st. I also like the early start because it gives the student athlete some time to adjust to the practice schedule before school starts. If Maryland were to do that it would give them the ability to schedule 10 games with the new playoff format which is positive move for Maryland.

This is a great question. Another week of revenue would be a significant financial boost for the MPSSAA.

Allegany has open date post on MPSSAA page for Week #2. Has the game with Perry fell through?

Someone posted on the Moco Board that Montgomery County preliminarily released their schedules to their AD's for approval and they drafted a 9 game schedule. If Montgomery, with all the clout that they have, is doing this, sounds like its pretty much in the bag that this is happening for next year.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
There will be no true Region Champion. The two teams left standing will be reseeded with the other remaining six teams that won the first two weeks of the playoffs.

Lackey, Perry, Mt. Ridge, Albert Gallatin, Silver Oak, Boonsboro, Keyser, Northern, Southern, FH

Replace Perry with Smithsburg and remove Southern. I understand Allegany, Washington and Garrett county schools have all been told to schedule for 9 games next year. Should the new format fall apart, week 10 will be a bye for all teams. Full steam ahead, going all in with the new format.

Replace Perry with Smithsburg and remove Southern. I understand Allegany, Washington and Garrett county schools have all been told to schedule for 9 games next year. Should the new format fall apart, week 10 will be a bye for all teams. Full steam ahead, going all in with the new format.
At least they have been told clear instructions. My guess is it will go though but details have to be finalized. If it doesn't, it is dangerous to only have 9 games scheduled should a cancellation due to weather occur. Although you would think that would affect most schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT