ADVERTISEMENT

Alco

This could be a joke. You have to remember that this is the same person who insists that BW is playing all these nationally ranked top ten teams but when you check, you can't find them in the top fifty. (I know I'm being lazy using Maxpreps, but if someone has a team in the top ten, then they should at least be in everyone's top fifty.)

This could be a joke. You have to remember that this is the same person who insists that BW is playing all these nationally ranked top ten teams but when you check, you can't find them in the top fifty. (I know I'm being lazy using Maxpreps, but if someone has a team in the top ten, then they should at least be in everyone's top fifty.
ESPN top 25 which has all the teams has
#1 Sunrise Christian, #4 IMG, #5 Montverde #7 La Lumiere, #8 Oak Hill Academy - these are all teams Bishop Walsh played this year. Max Preps does not include teams in the conference in their rankings. Max Preps #1 ranked team is Richardson. Richardson is ranked #2 in ESPN rankings that includes all teams.

Coach Jackson will be a good fit as Head Coach of the Alco jayvee team. There are other coaching changes being made on the jayvee team.

Reactions: otnorot
Just being the devil's advocate here but doesn't ESPN have an indirect interest in these teams through sponsorships? That may be skewing their ratings. Where exactly do they have Morgantown, another team that beat BW. Here's my biggest complaint about Polls, anyone can make them. For instance, someone from Frankfort could list their National rankings and list Frankfort's complete schedule number 1 thru 10 Nationally and claim that their schedule is the toughest of all time. That doesn't make Frankfort any better, it's still Frankfort.

Bottom line, I still want BW to do well in the ACIT's but I'd be more passionate about them if the team consisted of local talent. Winning with local kids says a whole lot more about their program.

#1 Sunrise Christian, #4 IMG, #5 Montverde #7 La Lumiere, #8 Oak Hill Academy - these are all teams Bishop Walsh played this year. Max Preps does not include teams in the conference in their rankings. Max Preps #1 ranked team is Richardson. Richardson is ranked #2 in ESPN rankings that includes all teams.

Coach Jackson will be a good fit as Head Coach of the Alco jayvee team. There are other coaching changes being made on the jayvee team.
They have no jv coaches so obviously there will be changes

Reactions: cumbfanatic

MaxPreps does separate rankings for the boarding school/non-association teams this year, since there are so many of them now and they were dominating the overall rankings.

I don't care if they aren't all local kids playing for BW. I'm not even sure I understand that argument as a negative. For years we all relished in the success of the Allegany College basketball program. We cheered as they rode the backs of the Steve Francis', Rudy Archers, and John Turners from anywhere but here. Throw in the occasional local who was sometimes good enough to get some playing time, but ACC was never local talent. When they were more local, they couldn't compete. Remove good recruits and replace a legendary coach, and ACC is right back in obscurity.

I'd rather watch good talent regardless of where they're from at a local school, it's tuition based anyway. If a local kid is good enough to compete with that, then they can easily go there. There is tuition support out there for anyone who wants to give it a shot. It's a different level. Comparing what BW is trying to build is not akin to public school sports. No use in comparing it.

No teams that compete on any national or regional level with any success are doing so with local talent, really. The IMGs and La Lumieres aren't, colleges like Alabama and LSU aren't...paying to play should get you better results and better talent. Kinda how it works.

Sorry for the rant, but the whole 'they don't play with local talent' is just a bogus argument. BWs program takes very good talent and let's them compete with other very good talent. Public schools don't and usually can't.

It's not positive or negative, it's a choice. At the High School level, I get more enjoyment watching local kids playing for local teams. I do watch some of these other teams every now and then, but I can take it or leave it. My problem with BW is that they want things both ways. They want to say that they play this great schedule and then they turn around and whine about no local teams playing them. The kicker is that they will recruit a local kid in a heartbeat knowing that he is going to ride the bench for four years and only see playing time every now and then.

I too remember the glory days at ACC. I loved those games and have fond memories of those kids passing through. One of my most memorable was when Mike Baker introduced me to Steve Francis. Anyway, here's the difference. Bob Kirk and his staff made it well known that he was building a legit D1 program at ACC, just as Coach Brown was doing at Hagerstown. While he would welcome any local athletes, there were never any false promises, or recruiting tactics that would provide false hope. There were times that kids were encouraged to go to another school in order to play. Local kids that played for ACC earned their spot and they knew their role on the team.

Now for my rant. I'm not buying this whole "National" schedule thing. They say that Maxpreps doesn't rank the Privates with the Publics, but I see Dematha, St Francis, and a whole slew of other privates on their Nationally ranked list. The problem is that I didn't see Morgantown, but I guess they are on that special list that BW uses. I guess we will see how much progress has been made with this program during the ACIT. Until then, I'm not drinking the Kool Aide.

Mike Allen is local, does not sit the bench and already received a D1 offer with many more coming. Morgantown has an unbelievable good team this year, they played teams from SC, NC and other states which is very unusual for a public school. BW never expected local teams to play their National Team. BW has a second team that’s called the Burgundy team that matches up against schools nicely. Last year a team from their league won the National Championship and most likely a team from their league will win a National Championship again this year. This is good conversation to keep the forum alive while there is no football

Last edited:
Mike Allen is local, does not sit the bench and already received a D1 offer with many more coming. Morgantown has an unbelievable good team this year, they played teams from SC, NC and other states which is very unusual for a public school. BW never expected local teams to play their National Team. BW has a second team that’s called the Burgundy team that matches up against schools nicely. Last year a team from their league won the National Championship and most likely a team from their league will win a National Championship again this year. This is good conversation to keep the forum alive while there is no football
I don't see any team they played winning any National Championship. While he is a good player I don't see him playing D1 either.... I'm being honest and I'm not drinking the kool-aide either...

Sunrise Christian will most likely win the National Championship. Mike Allen received a D1 offer from Maine.

Sunrise Christian will most likely win the National Championship. Mike Allen received a D1 offer from Maine.
I have seen a few of these teams play.... and I believe #21 St. Paul VI (Chantilly, Va.) 25-4 that's in the ACIT
would beat the 4,5 & 7 Easily
4. IMG (Bradenton, Fla.) 22-4
5. Montverde Academy (Fla.) 21-4
7. La Lumiere (La Porte, Ind.) 20-4

St. Paul VI has a decent team. I know comparing scores doesn’t mean much but Montverde beat Dematha 86-65 and it could have been more. St. Paul VI beat Dematha 77-74 in overtime. Obviously a large separation there. Gonzaga, Dematha, St. Paul VI will be competitive match-ups between each other.

I don't think the national team wants to play the local schools. The burgundy team would play but no one will schedule them because the team "does not have local players".

National rankings are all over the place but MaxPreps is one of the least reliable for some because it is purely based on a algorithm and not every team keeps their records updated. Better to use ESPN or even the Fab50.

What BW is trying to build does not exclude local players but can't be done relying on that as your only source of talent . Out of all the NIBC teams, only Grady Dick and Mikey Allen were "local" players. its just a different world at that level. The goal is to win the Geico National Championship. To do that, you need to bring in players from around the country/world into your system. Period. The only alternative exists at certain mega-schools like Richardson or other 7A schools in Georgia. You just don't have that number of quality players naturally in other areas.

I am not going to sit here and tell you to drink the kool aide, but hopefully the very near future we start to see BW in the top-25 and competing for Geico.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
To follow-up on some of the comments Teams BW play throughout the year in their conference: Sunrise, IMG, Montverde and La Lumiere would beat any team in the ACIT this year by more than 20 points. Montverde beat Dematha the ACIT champ by 21. The league is by far the highest competition and the best teams in the country, A local player from Cumberland Mike Allen made ACIT all tournament team and was a big part of the teams success. BW showed they can beat every team in the ACITs and will continue to be competitive each year. BW has one senior, the rest are junior and sophomores. BW doesn’t need to recruit top players want to attend Bishop Walsh. If you like high school sports or basketball and wasn’t at Frostburg State this weekend you missed a nearly full capacity gym witnessing good teams playing very competitive games. A lot of questions were answered. For now it’s almost time for high school football

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT