ADVERTISEMENT

Alco Football

cumbfanatic

Franchise Poster
Sep 13, 2009
This year Alco has their best senior class they’ve had for a while with around 14 seniors, including Zac Michaels. He is big and strong. This football class is one of the only classes that hasn’t lost players to FH that I know of m. On another note there are quite a few kids going from Braddock to FH. It’s good for the kids to do what is best for them, but it’s hard for Allegany to keep losing kids.

Last edited:
This year Alco has their best senior class they’ve had for a while with around 14 seniors, including Zac Michaels. He is big and strong. This football class is one of the only classes that hasn’t lost players to FH that I know of m. On another note there are quite a few kids going from Braddock to FH. It’s good for the kids to do what is best for them, but it’s hard for Allegany to keep losing kids.
The transfer portal mentality has ruined sports not just at the college level but the high school level as well. It teaches kids the wrong ideals in life promoting entitlement.

The Fort Hill basketball starting lineup yesterday against Smithsburg had one player that has been in the program for 3 years or more. The other four starters have NEVER been in a FH lineup prior to this season. Although the Allen transfer story is somewhat different obviously. I do see football players leaving Braddock to compete for FH more so than I have in the past. No question about it. FH fans have no room to point fingers anymore when it comes to creating wins through a transfer system.

For decades the Baltimore public schools have based their sports program success on a premise of securing the best players through the guise of "magnet school" cloaking. Their main focuses are its twelve magnet programs pertaining to specific careers that permits a student who wants to play basketball or football at a particular school to do so while claiming they wish to have a career in a certain field of study. When everyone knows the real reason was to solely play athletics. The reason Lake Clifton and Edmondson compete and win basketball titles every year isn't based on students who live in their district. The complete Dunbar athletic resume is attributed to these city principles.

The Bishop Walsh basketball program and the league they play in base their entire existence on a roster composed of 100% transfers. There are teenagers transferring mid-season for the third or fourth time just to play here. Not just transferring, but being recruited to transfer. The entire NIBC is built on this foundation. Most every Catholic based sports program has been building this same foundation for a century.

The world has changed. Even though I don't agree with the transfer mentality and what it teaches our youth, the snowball cannot stop rolling now...you either live by it or die by it from a won/loss stand point.

Last edited:
The transfer portal mentality has ruined sports not just at the college level but the high school level as well. It teaches kids the wrong ideals in life promoting entitlement.

The Fort Hill basketball starting lineup yesterday against Smithsburg had one player that has been in the program for 3 years or more. The other four starters have NEVER been in a FH lineup prior to this season. Although the Allen transfer story is somewhat different obviously. I do see football players leaving Braddock to compete for FH more so than I have in the past. No question about it. FH fans have no room to point fingers anymore when it comes to creating wins through a transfer system.

For decades the Baltimore public schools have based their sports program success on a premise of securing the best players through the guise of "magnet school" cloaking. Their main focuses are its twelve magnet programs pertaining to specific careers that permits a student who wants to play basketball or football at a particular school to do so while claiming they wish to have a career in a certain field of study. When everyone knows the real reason was to solely play athletics. The reason Lake Clifton and Edmondson compete and win basketball titles every year isn't based on students who live in their district. The complete Dunbar athletic resume is attributed to these city principles.

The Bishop Walsh basketball program and the league they play in base their entire existence on a roster composed of 100% transfers. There are teenagers transferring mid-season for the third or fourth time just to play here. Not just transferring, but being recruited to transfer. The entire NIBC is built on this foundation. Most every Catholic based sports program has been building this same foundation for a century.

The world has changed. Even though I don't agree with the transfer mentality and what it teaches our youth, the snowball cannot stop rolling now...you either live by it or die by it from a won/loss stand point.
Every word is absolutely 💯 per cent correct. Couldn't have said it any better. I don't necessarily agree with the system, but the truth of the matter is that you either get with the program, or get rolled over by the program. Crying foul is no longer an option. The genie is out of the bottle, and you aren't putting it back in.

This has been going on for decades, to act like it hasn't happened until recently is a farse. Alco at one time was the team to play for, now it's Fort Hill even though Alco has had South end kids on their teams the last few years. Mt Ridge/ Beall had those wrestlers from Garrett County, and they have had more than their share of out of Districts on the girls Volleyball and Basketball teams. and Frankfort doesn't have any trouble getting south end kids for Basketball and baseball. So, all schools have benefited from kids transferring into their different sports programs. I'm leaving out Keyser only because I'm not familiar with their teams.

The bottom line for me is that if parents think that their child would be better off going to school A, and the child involved also wants to make the change, then they should be able to go for it. It really isn't anyone's business. I just hope that money never becomes a part of transferring. But I'm afraid that Todd may be right on this one. When this happens, it will be a sad day in high school sports.

Mark my words, paying high school athletes with NIL structuring is coming. It's called a "free market" from the ones who promote it. The Olympic sports already permit such.
Not coming, it's already happening in California, won't be long now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT