ADVERTISEMENT

6 minutes until half

Excellent observation.

It's the 4th qtr up 31-0 and fh hasn't pulled their starters...nobody needs to complain next year about a whole new team with no experience - if you'd put them in the game they'd have it.
3 minutes to go fh still has defensive starters in.
1 minute to go, defensive starter slow to get up, limps out of the game.
Allegany drives for 2 td's their last two possessions against the fh starting defense..ouch.
Hansel calls a timeout with 9 seconds to go, they score, yea...now do you feel good

FH had 6 subs in on defense on the last drive, including a senior player that barely gets in the game outside of special teams and who may not have played defense all year. Alco had an incomplete pass called a reception at the one that led to the final TD. Can’t you guys just be happy with how inspired Alco played without digging at FH. They played inspired football. I would make FH run a few stadium laps Monday for half of the players going half-speed in the second half.

Last edited:
FH had 6 subs in on defense on the last drive, including a senior player that barely gets in the game outside of special teams and who may not have played defense all year. Alco had an incomplete pass called a reception at the one that led to the final TD. Can’t you guys just be happy with how inspired Alco played without digging at FH. They played umpires football. I would make FH run a few stadium laps Monday for half of the players going half-speed in the second half.

We heard Todd asking the coaches if all the seniors had gotten into the game.

The Alco team I saw on the field yesterday even with all of the players injured, that quit, that didn't suit up, should no way be 2-7. Take it for what it's worth. Going back to the Mountain Ridge loss before all the injuries, Alco should never have gotten pounded by the Miners like that.

The Alco team I saw on the field yesterday even with all of the players injured, that quit, that didn't suit up, should no way be 2-7. Take it for what it's worth. Going back to the Mountain Ridge loss before all the injuries, Alco should never have gotten pounded by the Miners like that.
After watching the game back, you notice things that you don't see the first time. Alco played a very smart game, gave it everything they had, and it leaves you scratching your head. How can that team get destroyed by Silver Oak? How can they lose more games than they win, to teams they shouldn't lose to? They have size, speed, and talent. There is no way this is on anybody but Hansel. You can't lie to the eyes, and that Alco team against FH was prepared and fought hard, there is no excuse for that not happening at every other game...you are Alco, 8 time state champion, losing to the teams you lost to the way you did is just not acceptable, heads should roll.

Excellent observation.

It's the 4th qtr up 31-0 and fh hasn't pulled their starters...nobody needs to complain next year about a whole new team with no experience - if you'd put them in the game they'd have it.
3 minutes to go fh still has defensive starters in.
1 minute to go, defensive starter slow to get up, limps out of the game.
Allegany drives for 2 td's their last two possessions against the fh starting defense..ouch.
Hansel calls a timeout with 9 seconds to go, they score, yea...now do you feel good

The FH second and third teamers have had plenty of playing time this season, and will have more playing time probably through the first few playoff games as well. However, FH did sub in some kids in the second half on defense. #'s 11 and 50 were in as linebackers during the last TD for Alco, both sophomores. Also, a couple non starting seniors were also in. It was about 50/50. Just to clarify.

Also, Commercial Video did a fantastic job of being johnny on the spot during the last 20 seconds of the game in capturing the "catch" by number 3. It was not even close to being a catch. As in, it bounced off the ground twice. I really cant figure out what the ref thought he saw, and in the grand scheme of things it didn't change the outcome of anything. In fact, the ref is signaling to stop the clock after a reception as the ball is about 5 feet away and bounces off of Stubbs' foot.

Insignificant as to the final result, but it wasn't a catch.

It was close, if he had it when he hit the ground it’s a catch, as soon as he hits the ground he is down. Besides the referee called it a catch so it is a catch. A few other times Allegany had a receiver wide open, the rb just wasn’t able to throw the ball accurately to them.

It was close, if he had it when he hit the ground it’s a catch, as soon as he hits the ground he is down. Besides the referee called it a catch so it is a catch. A few other times Allegany had a receiver wide open, the rb just wasn’t able to throw the ball accurately to them.

I will concede maybe I'm too hung up on the "controlling the ball to the ground" rule that we hear in NFL and college. I assumed that was sort of a universal rule, as when #3 rolled the ball was up on his shoulder touching the ground, not within his grasp. Regardless, helluva'n effort. Had that been the winning TD in a closely contested game...that play would live on in infamy lol. Like Munjo Walker getting called for roughing the kicker in 93, to Danny Bauer's fumble being ruled a forward pass in 91. - - Back in the day when you legit didn't know who might win the game until the final whistle.

Last edited:
Reactions: cumbfanatic
the Video is very grainy but from the angle it looks like a Catch to me, his hands looked to be under it and then his body comes down on it and he hits the ground at same time. The Catch rule in high school is way different from the NFL.

the Video is very grainy but from the angle it looks like a Catch to me, his hands looked to be under it and then his body comes down on it and he hits the ground at same time. The Catch rule in high school is way different from the NFL.

The beat just goes on. Red-jackets can't stand that some Alco player made a catch. Gotta analyze, question the refs.... No Camper player on that team catches one on us.... Good grief. How long are we gonna grind
Allegany on the game. Give them a friggn' rest. Move on to the fuggin' playoffs.

After watching the game back, you notice things that you don't see the first time. Alco played a very smart game, gave it everything they had, and it leaves you scratching your head. How can that team get destroyed by Silver Oak? How can they lose more games than they win, to teams they shouldn't lose to? They have size, speed, and talent. There is no way this is on anybody but Hansel. You can't lie to the eyes, and that Alco team against FH was prepared and fought hard, there is no excuse for that not happening at every other game...you are Alco, 8 time state champion, losing to the teams you lost to the way you did is just not acceptable, heads should roll.

You have quitters.... injuries and then a JV team moving up playing out of position. The fact that Hansel put this offense together against FH this early was Herculean. Give the damn guy a break. Oh... wait... don't fuggin' bother. Stay in the crowd and ride his ass.

FH had 6 subs in on defense on the last drive, including a senior player that barely gets in the game outside of special teams and who may not have played defense all year. Alco had an incomplete pass called a reception at the one that led to the final TD. Can’t you guys just be happy with how inspired Alco played without digging at FH. They played inspired football. I would make FH run a few stadium laps Monday for half of the players going half-speed in the second half.

the players going half-speed

Sad that the secondary was told to jog in pass coverage. After all, Appel has full responsibility.... just like Hansel does.

Something not many are talking about and where I learned something new about rules...in the first half FH had a 3rd and goal and Danny King rolled out and got tackled short and his helmet came off. By rule Danny had to come out for a play. Well it was 4th down and FH wanted to kick a field goal. So FH called timeout thinking that allows Danny to come back in the game. Not so. That is not the rule in high school. A timeout does not allow an injured player or a player who lost his helmet the ability to go back in the game. This is the rule in college and pro, but not high school. So in essence, FH wasted a timeout. They didn't know. FH ended up having to go for it on 4th down with Stubbs at QB. He threw an incomplete pass. Alco ball. Rules are rules, but glad I know now. It was the right call. Not sure I agree with the rule though.

Another rule people forget about in high school is that a QB cannot run outside the tackle box and throw the ball away. That is intentional grounding if a receiver is not in the area.

Reactions: cumbfanatic

Good points here.. definitely raises some valid questions.

My guess on the Silver Oak game is that it was just a crap game that they lost, combined with the fact that it's easy for a team to lose momentum and emotion when they lose key players to injury. It does sound like it's a game they shouldn't have lost, though.

You're right on this all falling on Hansel, and Alco being Alco but not playing like it, too. The problem is, we're not at all who we used to be.

Good points here.. definitely raises some valid questions.

My guess on the Silver Oak game is that it was just a crap game that they lost, combined with the fact that it's easy for a team to lose momentum and emotion when they lose key players to injury. It does sound like it's a game they shouldn't have lost, though.

You're right on this all falling on Hansel, and Alco being Alco but not playing like it, too. The problem is, we're not at all who we used to be.

If Alco played Silver Oak on Saturday, Alco wins by 4 scores. It just took a while to work through the shock of what to do with all the injuries and departures. When Welch went down...dang, the entire blue offense was 100% based on Welch. I think the team learned through game experience how to cope better without the guys they lost. It just took a little time.

The Alco team I have seen the past two games is a far cry better than what they had right after the Gallatin game.

Dare I say, the Alco team I saw the past two weeks is even better than the one I saw against Mountain Ridge before the injury bug.

You are right the last two games Allegany played its best football. Powell played the last qtr against Boonsboro then sat out against Mountain Ridge with a quad muscle injury. It wouldn’t have mattered Ridge ran the ball right down the throat, as many pointed out on here during that time Allegany didn’t look like they wanted to be on the field. This is one of the biggest reasons I like this playoff. Under the old system you lose one or two games at the beginning of the year you could be eliminate. The new playoff system you start playing good at the end of the season pick up a couple wins you can make the playoffs playing good football with momentum. A team may start off slow, make adjustments whatever play good football at the end of the year when it counts and have a chance in the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT