ADVERTISEMENT

1A State SemiFinals

Both the MR and FH games ended up closer than I thought they would be. But, both were solid wins.

A lot of close games around the state last night. S Decatur ended up pulling an upset of sorts and defeated Milford Mill. They will be playing for a State Championship.
The FH game was not close.

One would expect an opposing team in a semi-final game to have its way with the reserves after facing a running clock with 9 minutes left in the third quarter. Otherwise, the score could have been much more lopsided than it was.

I will add at times CSD played like one would expect from a semi-final team. They made one stop that forced a FH punt late in the first half, but their offense did zilch against the FH first-team defense.

Credit to the FH staff for allowing hard-working players to play and not jeopardizing injury to starters when the score was 38-0.

One would expect an opposing team in a semi-final game to have its way with the reserves after facing a running clock with 9 minutes left in the third quarter. Otherwise, the score could have been much more lopsided than it was.

I will add at times CSD played like one would expect from a semi-final team. They made one stop that forced a FH punt late in the first half, but their offense did zilch against the FH first-team defense.

Credit to the FH staff for allowing hard-working players to play and not jeopardizing injury to starters when the score was 38-0.

When asked if he considered putting his starters back in after the fumbles, Coach Alkire replied “You could hear our fans back there crying,” said Alkire. “Our coaches were like, ‘We’re going to get our first string back in there.’ I said, "No, we’re not. We’re going to let those kids play it out. The game’s in hand. Everyone just relax.”

With both games at 30+ points at halftime. I am simply stating that both games ended up closer than what they looked like they were going to be at the half. I understand that both teams played reserves and both were scored on. I think it was extremely smart for both staffs to get their key players out when the outcome was decided.

Even that stop was the result of a 15 yd penalty against FH. Started the drive 1st and 25.

Reactions: Dwj21
The mercy rule pros and cons. A very fine line. What was it's original purpose? My guess is that it wasn't intended, so that teams getting their A$$es kicked could leave their starters in against 2nd and 3rd team players and pad their stats and egos while trying to humiliate kids who are smaller, slower, and less experienced. On the other hand, do I not use my bench and let my team win 77-0. I'm not sure if there is a way to regulate how the mercy rule is used. Some say it's original purpose was for the safety of the kids on smaller less talented teams to avoid injury. Seems not to be working when the teams the rule is trying to protect, use it to their own advantage when keeping their 1st team in against basically JV players.

Last edited:
I guess if Coach Peer had put in HIS backup QB, then 20 points would not have been produced. #10 was playing hurt it seemed...left arm and ankle. Oh well.

Both the MR and FH games ended up closer than I thought they would be. But, both were solid wins.

A lot of close games around the state last night. S Decatur ended up pulling an upset of sorts and defeated Milford Mill. They will be playing for a State Championship.
The Fort Hill game wasn’t close. We could have won by 65. We put the second string in, and I must say the second string is horrendously bad.

Reactions: 4R341
The Fort Hill game wasn’t close. We could have won by 65. We put the second string in, and I must say the second string is horrendously bad.
At the end of the day… the margin of victory was 18 points… and they didn’t win by 65. I am sure that both teams could have won by 50+ points. Neither did.

• Haha
Reactions: everyones-an-expert
When asked if he considered putting his starters back in after the fumbles, Coach Alkire replied “You could hear our fans back there crying,” said Alkire. “Our coaches were like, ‘We’re going to get our first string back in there.’ I said, "No, we’re not. We’re going to let those kids play it out. The game’s in hand. Everyone just relax.”
Wow! Maybe some of the local pee wee coaches should sit down and have a chat with coach alkire and take some notes… Pee wee football local to Cumberland “Were up 32-0” second string just let them score get the 1st stringers back in we can’t have this”….What a joke and they should be ashamed of themselves! I seen it a lot this year….they only focus on what kids they want, the rest get thrown to the side like a ragdoll. Crazy!!!!! Anyways congrats to Alkire for that statement!

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Has anyone ever seen or have even anecdotal evidence of a team in MD being down by 35 points in the second half coming back to win by taking advantage of the mercy rule and playing starters against backups?

It does give the coaches a chance to see some guys who they think they are gonna use next year not on the practice field but in actual game situations. If they are that bad then knowing that now is just an added benefit to keeping players healthy and fresh.

Wow! Maybe some of the local pee wee coaches should sit down and have a chat with coach alkire and take some notes… Pee wee football local to Cumberland “Were up 32-0” second string just let them score get the 1st stringers back in we can’t have this”….What a joke and they should be ashamed of themselves! I seen it a lot this year….they only focus on what kids they want, the rest get thrown to the side like a ragdoll. Crazy!!!!! Anyways congrats to Alkire for that statement!
To me the difference between this coach and the previous is he is not a bit interested in the final score. Yes he has let a couple people in the game longer than maybe they had to be, and that's risky, but if you look at what he has done, where they are at right now going into another final, he looks pretty dam smart. Sometimes you just have to block out the noise.

To me the difference between this coach and the previous is he is not a bit interested in the final score. Yes he has let a couple people in the game longer than maybe they had to be, and that's risky, but if you look at what he has done, where they are at right now going into another final, he looks pretty dam smart. Sometimes you just have to block out the noise.
Amen!!!

Absolutely. Alkire seems to have no interest in embarrassing any team on purpose. That hasn't always been the case at FH. Much respect for him.

Good decision to let those kids play… the game was in hand, not close….. Zac made the right call. He’s doing a great job at FH.
They really have done a heck of a coaching job. You can take a look at individual players, and they have grown by leaps and bounds since the beginning of the season.. the playcalling has been fantastic too

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT