ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Game

BIGREDFAN08

Junior Varsity Reader
Nov 27, 2019
Wouldn’t it be cool to see Fort Hill Vs Mountain Ridge or Allegany, in a state championship game at ranked #1 home field this year? Don’t travel down to navy stadium. Keep it local! Brings more money local. Parents, fans don’t have to travel out of town. No school bus/charter bus needed for both teams for the long haul. Keep it local and make it a huge turn out! What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Wouldn’t it be cool to see Fort Hill Vs Mountain Ridge or Allegany, in a state championship game at ranked #1 home field this year? Don’t travel down to navy stadium. Keep it local! Brings more money local. Parents, fans don’t have to travel out of town. No school bus/charter bus needed for both teams for the long haul. Keep it local and make it a huge turn out! What’s everyone’s thoughts?
While I do think that it would be cool to see it. I do think everything that you mention that wouldn’t happen would be something that the kids would miss out on and could lessen the experience for both teams.

I’m all about the experience as well and I really think going to Navy provides more of that than staying at home would, outside of the larger crowd. This will be the only time that most of those players set foot on a Division 1 football field. It’s just a whole different feeling, even for the fans, to play on such a big stage. As a Terp alum, I would love to see the games back in College Park, with the state flag emblazoned end zones, though!

My on-going beef with having state championship games on a college field is it is not fair to kickers. High school goal posts are almost five feet wider than college goal posts. Trust me, that five feet can make all the difference in making a FG from 30 yards or not.

Yes, one can argue that both teams at the state championship have to contend with the narrow goal posts. However, a lot of teams don’t even attempt to kick.

“For high school football, the hash marks are 53 feet, 4 inches apart. That separation decreases to 40 feet in college and shrinks to 18 feet, 6 inches in the NFL. ... In both NCAA and NFL play, the goal posts are 18.5 feet apart, while high school goal posts are 23 feet, 4 inches apart.”

It is a “high school” state championship, and all field regulations should apply to the high school game.

My on-going beef with having state championship games on a college field is it is not fair to kickers. High school goal posts are almost five feet wider than college goal posts. Trust me, that five feet can make all the difference in making a FG from 30 yards or not.

Yes, one can argue that both teams at the state championship have to contend with the narrow goal posts. However, a lot of teams don’t even attempt to kick.

“For high school football, the hash marks are 53 feet, 4 inches apart. That separation decreases to 40 feet in college and shrinks to 18 feet, 6 inches in the NFL. ... In both NCAA and NFL play, the goal posts are 18.5 feet apart, while high school goal posts are 23 feet, 4 inches apart.”

It is a “high school” state championship, and all field regulations should apply to the high school game.
Just ask Westminster how they feel about playing at Ravens Stadium, which is even worse for kickers. They lost a State Title because of the smaller goal posts….and a missed call by the officials.

Unfortunately, outside of Greenway, there isn’t another high school stadium in the state that can feasibly hold the crowds for the title games. Not being centrally located also doesn’t help the cause either. It’s either a college stadium or Ravens Stadium and I think they made the right choice by moving it out of Baltimore.

Just ask Westminster how they feel about playing at Ravens Stadium, which is even worse for kickers. They lost a State Title because of the smaller goal posts….and a missed call by the officials.

Unfortunately, outside of Greenway, there isn’t another high school stadium in the state that can feasibly hold the crowds for the title games. Not being centrally located also doesn’t help the cause either. It’s either a college stadium or Ravens Stadium and I think they made the right choice by moving it out of Baltimore.
While I agree Greenway is not centrally located, as you have shown, playing on a college field or pro field benefits teams with no kicking game. It penalizes teams that have a kicking game.

it is a high school state championship game, and the field and goal posts should reflect such.

Reactions: BIGREDFAN08
No

Reactions: OneRing
While I agree Greenway is not centrally located, as you have shown, playing on a college field or pro field benefits teams with no kicking game. It penalizes teams that have a kicking game.

it is a high school state championship game, and the field and goal posts should reflect such.
Considering the kicker is the only player on the field to get any of the advantages offered by wider goal posts. The field isn't any shorter, you don't get any more downs, etc. It's the same game with the same rules, except for kickers, who get wider posts and a tee to kick from. So one game where the only player who gets advantages kind of loses one of them doesn't bother me too much.

The difference in the width of the hashes (I haven't been to a state championship in a long time, so I'm not sure if they re-line the field for high school standards) would have more of an affect in my opinion.

Considering the kicker is the only player on the field to get any of the advantages offered by wider goal posts. The field isn't any shorter, you don't get any more downs, etc. It's the same game with the same rules, except for kickers, who get wider posts and a tee to kick from. So one game where the only player who gets advantages kind of loses one of them doesn't bother me too much.

The difference in the width of the hashes (I haven't been to a state championship in a long time, so I'm not sure if they re-line the field for high school standards) would have more of an affect in my opinion.

There is a reason why there is a difference between high school goal posts/hash marks and college/pro goal posts/hash marks.

I certainly agree with you hash marks could be more of a challenge than narrow goal posts for a kicker. The combination of the two makes it more challenging.

If a team goes into a state championship game with an advantage of having a good “high school” kicker, that advantage has the significant potential of being diminished playing on a college or pro field.

LHSLancerFan has provided a very good example earlier in this thread.

P.S. This situation is analogous to a high school 110 meter hurdler showing up to Morgan State for the MD T&F state championship only to discover the hurdles are set at the college height of 42” instead of the high school height of 39”.

All other things are as they should be at the high school level. The track measurements are the same. Timing and measuring is the same for both running and jumping events.

Would this be considered fair for a high school hurdler? Absolutely not!

Last edited:
There is a reason why there is a difference between high school goal posts/hash marks and college/pro goal posts/hash marks.

I certainly agree with you hash marks could be more of a challenge than narrow goal posts for a kicker. The combination of the two makes it more challenging.

If a team goes into a state championship game with an advantage of having a good “high school” kicker, that advantage has the significant potential of being diminished playing on a college or pro field.

LHSLancerFan has provided a very good example earlier in this thread.

P.S. This situation is analogous to a high school 110 meter hurdler showing up to Morgan State for the MD T&F state championship only to discover the hurdles are set at the college height of 42” instead of the high school height of 39”.

All other things are as they should be at the high school level. The track measurements are the same. Timing and measuring is the same for both running and jumping events.

Would this be considered fair for a high school hurdler? Absolutely not!
It's more analogous to everyone at the track meet lining up without starting blocks, except one kid (the kicker) being allowed to use one.

Should every stadium be indoor because it's not fair that some kickers have to kick outside in the wind? Youve kicked most of the time indoors, is it fair that they make you deal with the elements now? Should artifical turf be eliminated because most teams still play on grass and its unfair to teams that play well in the mud?

Should fans be outlawed because a team has built itself running a hurry-up offense, calling plays from the line and they need it to be quiet? Playing with a lot of crowd noise would be unfair to them.

What's Really Sad in All of This is That The State Hasn't already bought Temporary Goal Post to fix this problem no matter where the games are played.
Where would you put them? At the beginning of the end zone like the old days?

There are a number of states where colleges have adjustable goal posts. You unlock the pin and slide them outward to HS specs. It'd be a pretty small investment for the MPSSAA to put some money towards it.

Having goalposts that are way smaller than HS specs is not just an "oh well" issue. These kids kick under a certain parameter all year long and in the most important game of the year they have a smaller target. Turf grass mud rain are all variables...the parameters and specs of the equipment and field are not. Did they play with NFL hash marks when it was at Ravens? No.

Reactions: MCsoccerplex
There are a number of states where colleges have adjustable goal posts. You unlock the pin and slide them outward to HS specs. It'd be a pretty small investment for the MPSSAA to put some money towards it.

Having goalposts that are way smaller than HS specs is not just an "oh well" issue. These kids kick under a certain parameter all year long and in the most important game of the year they have a smaller target. Turf grass mud rain are all variables...the parameters and specs of the equipment and field are not. Did they play with NFL hash marks when it was at Ravens? No.
Nah, it's an 'oh well' issue. Obviously the goal post width is a variable just like turf, PA, stands, playclock.

Again, kids play all year long on grass, then get to the playoffs and have to change strategy by playing on turf.

Changing goalposts for a total of 8 kids a year is just more wasted money. It's the smallest problem in all of the MPSSAA. Lots more to worry about first.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT