ADVERTISEMENT

Q&A with Boys Latin offensive tackle Xander O’Malley

Maryland Varsity

Jul 18, 2013
What were your initial thoughts when the football season was postponed until the spring?
“I thought that that wouldn't happen because lacrosse is so big in Maryland. I knew that if it were to happen, it would be before winter break.”
What are your workout plans at this point going forward?
“During the summer, it was just lifting and agility workouts but now I'm excited to have team workouts and hopefully soon we can get our pads on.”
What are you trying to improve on the most at this point?
“The first thing I want to improve is being as explosive but controlled as possible from a stance. The second is just being better at reading offenses, different blocks, and getting off them.”
How do you believe your high school team will be for this upcoming season?
“We have a large senior class that has been putting in a lot of work and we have some amazing new coaches so I'm really excited for this season. I think that we're going to do really well.”
What would be your thoughts if the state changed their mind regarding fall football?
“Maryland high schools have been cleared to play now so I'm super excited that we'll be able to play.”
What areas do you feel will be keys to having a successful run during the season?
“We have a good o-line, but if we make better adjustment calls and are able to read defenses, we'll be poised and I think we'll be unstoppable up front.”
Have you made your college decision?
“I have committed to Johns Hopkins University for football and I'm going to play DT.”
Why did you pick John Hopkins?
“I decided on Johns Hopkins because they were the only school that wanted me for D-line and also they were the only school that had an Engineering program.”
What other schools did you consider?
“The colleges I seriously talked to were the NESCACS, a few Ivies, Davidson, and a few of the Centennial schools.”
What schools had offered you?
“I had offers from Davidson, Dickinson, Johns Hopkins, Middlebury, Trinity, Williams, W&L, and Hamilton.”
Did you have a favorite college growing up?
“Growing up, I always like watching Maryland play because a lot of my family went there. I also liked watching the Army vs Navy game because those programs' sole goal is to beat the other and I like watching that rivalry.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News