ADVERTISEMENT

New 4th team added to the Queen City Quad

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Cumberland would like to welcome Woodrow Wilson High School out of Washington DC to the 7th annual Queen City Quad Classic on August 22.

As some may already know, T.C. Williams fell through as we came to find out just about 2 weeks ago. That left us scrambling to find a last minute replacement. We found one.

Woodrow Wilson will be the first DIAA school to visit Greenway Avenue Stadium since 2008 (applause, applause).

The four teams participating in the Queen City Quad will be:
Fort Hill
Laurel Highlands (Uniontown, PA)
North County (Glen Burnie, MD)
Woodrow Wilson (Washington, DC)

The Quad starts at 3:00 on Saturday, August 22. The JV Quad will be held at the same time on the upper practice fields.

The obvious question is will this reopen the old Cumberland/DCIAA scheduling connectiion? We're all aware of the past, but this could be a positive step forward.

Cumberland would like to welcome Woodrow Wilson High School out of Washington DC to the 7th annual Queen City Quad Classic on August 22.

As some may already know, T.C. Williams fell through as we came to find out just about 2 weeks ago. That left us scrambling to find a last minute replacement. We found one.

Woodrow Wilson will be the first DIAA school to visit Greenway Avenue Stadium since 2008 (applause, applause).

The four teams participating in the Queen City Quad will be:
Fort Hill
Laurel Highlands (Uniontown, PA)
North County (Glen Burnie, MD)
Woodrow Wilson (Washington, DC)

The Quad starts at 3:00 on Saturday, August 22. The JV Quad will be held at the same time on the upper practice fields.

Marion Barry's alma mater :) seriously... Glad you were able to fill the opening & best wishes on a successful quad!

Isn't there a Woodson and Wilson in DC? I thought the Adams RB that's committed to Michigan St went there, but some sights say Wilson, some say Woodson? Is he on the team that'll be coming to Greenway? If so scrimmage or not, that's exciting!

Isn't there a Woodson and Wilson in DC? I thought the Adams RB that's committed to Michigan St went there, but some sights say Wilson, some say Woodson? Is he on the team that'll be coming to Greenway? If so scrimmage or not, that's exciting!

You are referring to RB Abdul Adams who is a verbal commit to Michigan State. He plays for H.D. Woodson in DC not at Woodrow Wilson. Different schools, both in DC league.

The same W.Wilson of DC Fort Hill beat 37-12 in 1997. Game called by refs early in the 3rd quarter because of unsportsman-like conduct by WW's players and coaches. Surrattsville plays WW in regular season in recent years. Hope a great addition to the Quad!

Yes I was pretty sure he played for Woodson but I've seen his twiiter account in a Wilson uni. Idk if he was a transfer or not...it would've exciting to see up him here like it will be to see Trevon

The same W.Wilson of DC Fort Hill beat 37-12 in 1997. Game called by refs early in the 3rd quarter because of unsportsman-like conduct by WW's players and coaches. Surrattsville plays WW in regular season in recent years. Hope a great addition to the Quad!

Wilson was one of the favorites in DC that year. They lost to DeMatha the week before by only like 5 or 6 points. So I'm sure they thought they would have an easy game up here and lost their composure.

Abdul Adams played at Wilson the last three years but he is apparently transferring to HD Woodson for his senior year. Woodson is the top program in the DCIAA at the moment.

Wilson is the one DCIAA school whose enrollment has been rising, which is not necessarily a good thing for their football program as they can't enroll "out of boundary" students as easily as the other schools.

Gonzaga beat Woodson in the DCIAA title game last year. I did not know Adams was at Wilson for 3 years. Thanks for the info.

Gonzaga beat Woodson in the DCIAA title game last year. I did not know Adams was at Wilson for 3 years. Thanks for the info.

I saw Gonzaga handle Centreville last year on ESPN. Centreville was touted as the #1 Div 6 team in Virginia, but Gonzaga had no problem beating them.

Let me clear things up a little bit. Wilson is a good addition to the Quad, but DCIAA football teams aren't very good. The entire league has steadily declined over the last 20 years. Even within the last 10 ten years. Comparing their 1997 team to their 2015 squad is like night and day. Woodson, the best team last year would probably be on par with a good Maryland 1A school. Ironically DC has a very good youth league football program, but the best players will play high school ball at private schools, charter schools (Friendship Collegiate) or in the suburbs.

Also, Gonzaga isn't in the DCIAA. They couldn't have played in the title game last year. I think a couple of years ago they put together another game between the private schools that are in DC and the DCIAA champion. That could be the game you're talking about.

Reactions: Red Neck
Also , Centerville might have been touted as the best 6A school last year , but the team last year wasn't near as good as the year before. still a quality program, but from one year to the next makes a huge difference.

Let me clear things up a little bit. Wilson is a good addition to the Quad, but DCIAA football teams aren't very good. The entire league has steadily declined over the last 20 years. Even within the last 10 ten years. Comparing their 1997 team to their 2015 squad is like night and day. Woodson, the best team last year would probably be on par with a good Maryland 1A school. Ironically DC has a very good youth league football program, but the best players will play high school ball at private schools, charter schools (Friendship Collegiate) or in the suburbs.

Also, Gonzaga isn't in the DCIAA. They couldn't have played in the title game last year. I think a couple of years ago they put together another game between the private schools that are in DC and the DCIAA champion. That could be the game you're talking about.

Thanks for the info BoyznBlue. Yes I looked at MaxPreps scores and the way they had their DC playoff bracket results set up led one to believe they were all part of a league. But I get it now after your explanation. Not sure why I though Gonzaga was part of the DCIAA. Another reason it was great to pick up a DCIAA school for the Quad. Now we understand a little better what's going on with football in that part of our little world. Who do you think some of the teams to beat might be in DC and the surrounding Maryland suburbs?

Also , Centerville might have been touted as the best 6A school last year , but the team last year wasn't near as good as the year before. still a quality program, but from one year to the next makes a huge difference.

Agree - 2013 Centreville was a better team than their 2014 team, even with their South Carolina recruit on both squads.

Just for some more reliable information, Adams is no longer in the Wilson program, Last year Wilson beat DuVal and Surrattsville in the regular season and both teams made it to the 1a and 3 a Maryland state playoffs. I formerly coached at Potomac from 2000-2007 and now coach at Wilson we are happy to be involved in such a fine scrimmage, I will tell ya one thing that Wilson has a number of players returning but we are inexpeierance at many positions, The QB for Wilson is a 6'3' 195lb Junior that will wow a lot of folks and even though this is my first year at Wilson I have no trouble letting you know that he is a real deal Division 1 QB. He lite up the Maryland 7 on 7 he is a special QB and Talent.

Just for some more reliable information, Adams is no longer in the Wilson program, Last year Wilson beat DuVal and Surrattsville in the regular season and both teams made it to the 1a and 3 a Maryland state playoffs. I formerly coached at Potomac from 2000-2007 and now coach at Wilson we are happy to be involved in such a fine scrimmage, I will tell ya one thing that Wilson has a number of players returning but we are inexpeierance at many positions, The QB for Wilson is a 6'3' 195lb Junior that will wow a lot of folks and even though this is my first year at Wilson I have no trouble letting you know that he is a real deal Division 1 QB. He lite up the Maryland 7 on 7 he is a special QB and Talent.

NICE! What is the QB's name?
Fort Hill travels to scrimmage DuVal the Wednesday four days after the Quad. They have a pretty good D1 QB of their own. DuVal got bumped in the state semifinals last year by eventual champ Northwest. Many expect DuVal to get back there again as they bring a good many players back so I'm told. That was a very nice win for Wilson last year indeed. It looks like Wilson is opening with Good Counsel again this year. That is a week ahead of when Maryland teams start. Was curious as to when the first day of practice is for DC schools.

Very happy Wilson is coming to Cumberland. I know the FH coaches are grateful too.

NICE! What is the QB's name?
Fort Hill travels to scrimmage DuVal the Wednesday four days after the Quad. They have a pretty good D1 QB of their own. DuVal got bumped in the state semifinals last year by eventual champ Northwest. Many expect DuVal to get back there again as they bring a good many players back so I'm told. That was a very nice win for Wilson last year indeed. It looks like Wilson is opening with Good Counsel again this year. That is a week ahead of when Maryland teams start. Was curious as to when the first day of practice is for DC schools.

Very happy Wilson is coming to Cumberland. I know the FH coaches are grateful too.
Stevie Williams Jr. is the QB's name, Having graduate from DuVal and also coaching them to a 3a State title in 1988 I am well aware of there program, they should be very good again this year and I'm hoping they can make another run deep into the playoffs. We had our first practice on Saturday but DC school system goes by the heat acclimatization mandates and we still haven't practiced enough to go full gear.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT