ADVERTISEMENT

Can we talk favorites in 1a and 2a for 2017 state title

gmcol

Junior Varsity Reader
Jan 4, 2005
1A Fort hill or Dunbar or who 2A Walkersville or Damascus or who My take Fort hill and Walkersville one or 2 close games all season and the rest will be blow out city.

My money would go on Fort Hill and Walkersville. Fort Hill will have a much rougher road with Dunbar, Patterson, and Douglas PG in the mix. If Damascus is now a AA, Walkersville will be challenged, but they are absolutely loaded. A word of warning here. A bad off season will beat both of these teams.

Not taking anything away from Middletown, because they are very good and extremely well coached, but Walkersville is absolutely loaded next year. The only thing that will beat them is if they get lazy I the off season and don't put in the work. If that happens, they won't get out of the West. This happened to Catoctin years back, and the team never did recover.

Didn't Catoctin have to forfeit a buttload of games the year after they won 1A tittle in 09? That killed their program in its tracks!

You're right, 3 of their 5 losses were by way of forfeit. They were the first three games of their season. They also lost their last two (Middleton and Brunswick) to teams that they had beaten the year before.

But they went 14-0 in 2009. 7-3 would have earned them a playoff spot in 2010 If they won one of the two games they lost that year chances are that the would have at least made the playoffs. Both Northern and Smithsburg were 6-4.

Last edited:
My money would go on Fort Hill and Walkersville. Fort Hill will have a much rougher road with Dunbar, Patterson, and Douglas PG in the mix. If Damascus is now a AA, Walkersville will be challenged, but they are absolutely loaded. A word of warning here. A bad off season will beat both of these teams.

DMass won't be touched in 2A. I don't think they will even be challenged in the playoffs.

1A is totally up in the air. FH is definitely going to be a favorite, but Douglas (PG) and Dunbar are going to be very tough. I don't know anything about Patterson. It's going to be interesting in the playoffs how the semi-final games shake out. For example if FH has to play Douglas (PG) and then play Dunbar in back-to-back weeks. It's not like running over Surrattsville or Fairmont Heights. Even if they beat Douglas it's going to be a war. That's something they haven't seen in the last four years.

I dont think Dunbar is going to be quite what they were last year, as they graduated a few big linemen, but also the drop to 1A has hurt their numbers, kids supposedly leaving. I'm not saying they recruit, but their QB is apparently transferring back to SFA from whence he came - saw that on the Sun board. That will be a huge blow.

I'm thinking Douglass PG will be up there for 1A.

DMass won't be touched in 2A. I don't think they will even be challenged in the playoffs.

1A is totally up in the air. FH is definitely going to be a favorite, but Douglas (PG) and Dunbar are going to be very tough. I don't know anything about Patterson. It's going to be interesting in the playoffs how the semi-final games shake out. For example if FH has to play Douglas (PG) and then play Dunbar in back-to-back weeks. It's not like running over Surrattsville or Fairmont Heights. Even if they beat Douglas it's going to be a war. That's something they haven't seen in the last four years.

Patterson is horrible, FH has no worries there. FH list of competition in order IMO
1. Doug-PG
2. Dunbar
3. Alco

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT