ADVERTISEMENT

Where is Everybody?

It has been declining in the past 5 years slowly by slowly. One could argue it coincided with the start of Fort Hill's dominance. If you have games that aren't competitive there really isn't too much to talk about I am afraid.

I agree, I hope that everyone has made it to the other side of this pandemic in good health.

My family continues to be blessed. With the loss of the rivalry haven't been motivated to post. I do enjoy following FH.... very unhappy about where Alco has trended. I also wish everyone good health!

My family continues to be blessed. With the loss of the rivalry haven't been motivated to post. I do enjoy following FH.... very unhappy about where Alco has trended. I also wish everyone good health!
I miss the old days, Lag. It was fun jabbering with you, BigAlco70, Snakeskin Cowboy, We have 8, etc. I guess like a lot of things, it's just fading away.

Reactions: Argox66
COVID helped to kill this forum. We had some bickerings and discussions about COVID when it first hit in 2020. But once those arguments ended there were no sports to talk about period for an entire school year. Posters faded and didn't come back.

• Wow
Reactions: Tony54 and Argox66
I had to change my name from Bleedred. It is good to see guys like Jailer and Lag back on the board.

I agree with Lag about the rivalry between Fort Hill and Alco. The jokes and teasing were fun until Alco's program took a huge downswing. Covid didn't help. In the Fall of 2020 I felt that Alco fielded the best team in the area for week one. It was a shame that the season ended with one game. The Spring games came around and Alco had half of the players that they had in October. Hopefully, things get turned around for Also in the near future.

I would like to say that when FH wins the state title this year, they will have 9 to alcos 8. That will take lag and the rest of the blue bellies off life support on this board. Hope this stirs it up a little….

• Love
Reactions: Dwj21
I would like to say that when FH wins the state title this year, they will have 9 to alcos 8. That will take lag and the rest of the blue bellies off life support on this board. Hope this stirs it up a little….
Should the state title debate even matter anymore? It 2022, the last time these two programs played a competitive football game on the scoreboard it was the playoffs in 2017. And Fort Hill's 1 season, 2 game rivalry with Southern in 2018 had more heat on it than anything between Allegany and Fort Hill in over a decade.

Even as a FH guy, its been dissapointing seeing Hansel bury the program.

Alcos decline is more than just a Hansel problem. It’s an energy problem. Alco needs a guy that can bring back the energy.

Should the state title debate even matter anymore? It 2022, the last time these two programs played a competitive football game on the scoreboard it was the playoffs in 2017. And Fort Hill's 1 season, 2 game rivalry with Southern in 2018 had more heat on it than anything between Allegany and Fort Hill in over a decade.

Even as a FH guy, its been dissapointing seeing Hansel bury the program.
I wasn’t a fan of hansel when he was hired but it’s hard to point fingers at him when NO ONE wanted that job. That job sat vacant until Brian took it. Alco should hope he doesn’t quit or they may not be able to find someone else to coach them.

It’s a shame that a strong program has fallen apart. But you can’t really point the finger at Brian. He’s been dedicated to the program for years. I think a lot of it is the change of times. Kids don’t want to put on all the hot equipment and be dedicated to football programs. They have more fun playing on there cell phones or video games. Take a look around your neighborhood. When’s the last time you seen a sandlot game going on. Even kids playing jailbreak or even flying a kite ?

Reactions: 4R341
It’s a shame that a strong program has fallen apart. But you can’t really point the finger at Brian. He’s been dedicated to the program for years. I think a lot of it is the change of times. Kids don’t want to put on all the hot equipment and be dedicated to football programs. They have more fun playing on there cell phones or video games. Take a look around your neighborhood. When’s the last time you seen a sandlot game going on. Even kids playing jailbreak or even flying a kite ?
That’s so true!

The kids put on the hot equipment for the RED & WHITE! You see all the peewee and patriots kids there on Saturday? Your thesis is false. It's an Allegany problem not a football problem. FH has had numbers all this time and will continue to have numbers and win State Titles for the foreseeable future.

The kids put on the hot equipment for the RED & WHITE! You see all the peewee and patriots kids there on Saturday? Your thesis is false. It's an Allegany problem not a football problem. FH has had numbers all this time and will continue to have numbers and win State Titles for the foreseeable future.
I hope you’re right but by Looking at the roster Fort Hill is down about 10 upper classmen this year compared to what they have always had in the past..
Not true. Take a look at the numbers. Fort Hills numbers are declining rapidly also. A quick roster check will show that Fort Hill is down about 10 upperclassman from just a few years ago

I decided to take a look at FH roster numbers (see below). This 2022 team has a 35 man roster. That is the lowest since 2012. Not sure if this year is an anomaly of just a small class coming through or just a case of COVID recovery. There are currently 39 frosh and sophomores on the roster.

I don't think there is any doubt though that numbers are bad across the board. And when I say across the board I mean in the entire United States. There are many theories. However, numbers are down for all sports not just football. The reasons I believe are today's culture being wired (internet, cell, gaming, etc.) among other things. It's why playgrounds are dinosaurs. COVID also played a role.

Keep in mind however that the Fort Hill 1975 state championship team, when the school was in the second largest state classification, that team only had a 32 man roster. I believe these things are cyclical on the Hill but the fact they still pull in more than 30-40 kids is definitely an anomaly compared to everyone else. Success in the last 15 years has much to do with it I'm sure.

FORT HILL FOOTBALL ROSTER SIZE THROUGH THE YEARS
2022 - 35 players
2021 - 41
2020 - 48
2019 - 44
2018 - 43
2017 - 50
2016 - 48
2015 - 45
2013 - 40
2012 - 35
2011 - 38
2010 - 40
2009 - 37
2008 - 38
1975 - 32

020_20.jpg

And of note, the 1977 Sentinels had only 9 Seniors on the roster....none pictured above - all on the JVs in 1975.

Reactions: Tony54
Still impressive numbers for varsity only and the 12th smallest school that plays football in the state of Maryland.

Reactions: Tony54
Noticing some of the reasons for the decline of the Alco football program over the years, I believe there are many reasons. Some noticed, some going unnoticed. Being an old timer and a relatively newcomer back to the area I don't necessarily have numbers to back up my theory, but I have a theory just the same. Here is what my eyes see. In the 60s, 70s and 80s there were 8 Allegany county public high schools. Over the years demographics, and the natural population loss in Allegany county seems to have effected Allegany more so than the other 2 remaining county high schools. Over the past 30 years or so, Mt Savage HS closed and Beall got those students. Valley, and Bruce High School combined to create Westmar (some people on here may be to young to remember that both Valley and Bruce fielded football teams). Fast forward to today those 4 schools now are combined to be Mt. Ridge. Through loss of county population it seems that with the area that now encompasses Mt. Ridge territory to pull from has to be a plus for the football program. Similar situation for FH gaining the territory of Flintstone, and Oldtown High School closing. It seems to me that through all of this change Allegany territory is the same as it was in the 60s,70s, and 80s. Even if MR and FH only pull 7-10 players from these expanded areas, its still added numbers and depth for the programs that Alco doesn't benefit from. Something else I have no official proof of, only what my eyes seem to see, upon my return to the area it seems that North End, and West Side neighborhoods seem to be very old, and very young, not many 40 something couples that would have high school aged children in those neighborhoods. I have noticed a lot of the 40 somethings living closer to Frostburg, Flintstone, and Oldtown much more so than in the 60s, 70s and 80s. My point is that there may be a much bigger reason, than coaching philosophy or athlete importance of the administration of Alco or the wired world we live in. Maybe it just a basic numbers game or lack thereof if your are Allegany. Has there ever been any conversation re-districting in Allegany County or is that just pure Taboo. Just one mans opinion of the past and the present with missing everything that happened in between.

Noticing some of the reasons for the decline of the Alco football program over the years, I believe there are many reasons. Some noticed, some going unnoticed. Being an old timer and a relatively newcomer back to the area I don't necessarily have numbers to back up my theory, but I have a theory just the same. Here is what my eyes see. In the 60s, 70s and 80s there were 8 Allegany county public high schools. Over the years demographics, and the natural population loss in Allegany county seems to have effected Allegany more so than the other 2 remaining county high schools. Over the past 30 years or so, Mt Savage HS closed and Beall got those students. Valley, and Bruce High School combined to create Westmar (some people on here may be to young to remember that both Valley and Bruce fielded football teams). Fast forward to today those 4 schools now are combined to be Mt. Ridge. Through loss of county population it seems that with the area that now encompasses Mt. Ridge territory to pull from has to be a plus for the football program. Similar situation for FH gaining the territory of Flintstone, and Oldtown High School closing. It seems to me that through all of this change Allegany territory is the same as it was in the 60s,70s, and 80s. Even if MR and FH only pull 7-10 players from these expanded areas, its still added numbers and depth for the programs that Alco doesn't benefit from. Something else I have no official proof of, only what my eyes seem to see, upon my return to the area it seems that North End, and West Side neighborhoods seem to be very old, and very young, not many 40 something couples that would have high school aged children in those neighborhoods. I have noticed a lot of the 40 somethings living closer to Frostburg, Flintstone, and Oldtown much more so than in the 60s, 70s and 80s. My point is that there may be a much bigger reason, than coaching philosophy or athlete importance of the administration of Alco or the wired world we live in. Maybe it just a basic numbers game or lack thereof if your are Allegany. Has there ever been any conversation re-districting in Allegany County or is that just pure Taboo. Just one mans opinion of the past and the present with missing everything that happened in between.
These are really astute observations I never really thought of. They do make sense.

The only weird twist is that Allegany now has more students enrolled than Fort Hill despite the consolidations. That was never the case in the past.

These are really astute observations I never really thought of. They do make sense.

The only weird twist is that Allegany now has more students enrolled than Fort Hill despite the consolidations. That was never the case in the past.
That's why I prefaced my post by saying that I didn't actually have numbers to support my theory. I did a little research after reading your reply, and I must admit that I am more than a bit surprised at the enrollments of the 3 county high schools. Mt. Ridge having the most and FH having the least. My findings, if accurate show that the 3 schools are separated by maybe 100 students. Things sure have changed during my time away. I'm sure the enrollment fluctuates from year to year, but not enough to make that much of a difference. Thanks for the info. I always remember thinking that FH was so much bigger than the others.

That's why I prefaced my post by saying that I didn't actually have numbers to support my theory. I did a little research after reading your reply, and I must admit that I am more than a bit surprised at the enrollments of the 3 county high schools. Mt. Ridge having the most and FH having the least. My findings, if accurate show that the 3 schools are separated by maybe 100 students. Things sure have changed during my time away. I'm sure the enrollment fluctuates from year to year, but not enough to make that much of a difference. Thanks for the info. I always remember thinking that FH was so much bigger than the others.
This Really turned out to be a great thread

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT