ADVERTISEMENT

What changed?

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
In the last 3 games, Fort Hill has not punted nor has the defense given up a single point. OK, they gave up a one play touchdown tonight vs. Southern in the last 4 minutes with all the subs in the game.

What changed since October 5 when the Sentinels traveled to Oakland? A few things can be factored in: turf, few if any penalties for FH and no turnovers. Cut right to the chase however, it's the FH offensive line that has made the big change. Which in turn, has made Beal much more comfortable behind center and has given this stable of running backs room to run. Defenses cannot key on any one ball carrier. I don't know if anyone realizes this when they watch the game on video, but the FH ball fakes are even faking out the camera man. Can't tell who has the ball. Like watching some film from a 1951 game.

Can't take anything away from this ferocious defense no doubt. But they have pretty much been dominating since day 1. The game in Oakland, it was a chore just to grind out a first down against this same Southern defense. Tonight, they blasted this same defense...inside and outside. I will be curious to see what the yards per carry was tonight for FH. This FH team is peaking at the right time. The defense is all over the place, no daylight at all for opponents. Southern didn't even have a first down until 20 seconds left in the first half. This game was no different than the Mountain Ridge game.

I don't know if the whole Helmet Gate thing was a factor in this game be it revenge or extra motivation, but it seems to have bought this team together ever since it went down. The whole "Us against The World" mentality. We will see how it all pans out. I said it before and will reiterate it again...I don't see anyone outside of a possible rematch with Dunbar that can score more than twice on the FH starting defense. If FH continues to limit the turnovers and penalties they will be a tough out for any team.

FH has never played Catoctin. See ya next week.

I was one who said 2-2, or even 1-3. Not that I thought that they were bad, but those three were better than anyone else in the area, to include the 1A West. If you recall, I also said that Fort Hill should breeze through the rest of their schedule. I pointed out that this team was very immature and that Todd would have his hands full keeping these guys' heads in the ball games.

I'll have to say that Todd has done a remarkable job bringing these kids along. They not only play with discipline, but they play as an experienced team. As long as the penalties and turnovers can be kept down, they have a chance of returning to the Championship game. ,

Reactions: towpath94 and 4R341
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT