ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia highschool football canceled for the fall

DC Public Schools just announced today they are moving football to the spring semester. Yesterday PG County Public Schools announced that the fall semester will be totally online for all students so that means football will be moved to the spring or cancelled outright.

DC Public Schools just announced today they are moving football to the spring semester. Yesterday PG County Public Schools announced that the fall semester will be totally online for all students so that means football will be moved to the spring or cancelled outright.

Washington County moved to online classes only to start fall semester. I have not heard what that meant in the way of sports but pretty certain that means not. Do you think privates like DeMatha will follow suite?

Washington County moved to online classes only to start fall semester. I have not heard what that meant in the way of sports but pretty certain that means not. Do you think privates like DeMatha will follow suite?

As of this moment they say they are following the regulations put forth by their individual states. But that could change. Not sure what that means for DeMatha or GC because DC schools Gonzaga and STJ are also in their conference.

There's a Town Hall this evening where they may discuss this topic:

DMV HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS in the SHADOW of COVID:

Let YOUR VOICE BE HEARD Student Aths, Coaches, Admin, Health Professionals Discussing What we ARE & What we SHOULD be Doing ALL ARE WELCOME to attend via

@zoom_us : https://bit.ly/2Wlq9NV

It sounds like Garrett County will decide reopening on July 28, the plans are a hybrid in-school/online option where the kids are in school 2 days a week and online 3 days; all online or back in session per usual. It's very doubtful they'll restart per usual, especially since we're trending in the wrong direction locally as far as # of cases go (going from 10 to 26 in a little over 2 weeks). They did push the start of school back to Sept 8. My personal hope is they restart in the hybrid mode, that might be asking a lot--but we have had very little community spread, most of our cases have been nursing home and travel out of the area related--I think there has only been 2 or 3 cases not related to nursing homes or travel--only 1 of the 26 has required hospitalization and that was one of the very first couple of cases back in March. They are giving all parents the option of online if they're not comfortable with sending their kids regardless of what phase they opt to start. But not certain what will happen sports wise with each option.

Face it folks, if students are hybrid or 100% virtual, there will be no sports. Not sure how any system would even attempt to justify sports if the former is true.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Are we really sure about all this? I mean they have youth baseball. Why can't high schools play, even if it is without fans or only parents? Regardless if school is virtual or a hybrid. Football, soccer, cross country and golf are all outdoor sports, which can safely be played. Football may be harder, but the risk is being indoors within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer. I doubt any of those are a high risk.

BTW, someone jumped the gun on the WV board and posted all MD is online and fall sports has been called off. Lets all stop with the speculation and rumors until official announcements have been made! This is not being helpful at all.

Are we really sure about all this? I mean they have youth baseball. Why can't high schools play, even if it is without fans or only parents? Regardless if school is virtual or a hybrid. Football, soccer, cross country and golf are all outdoor sports, which can safely be played. Football may be harder, but the risk is being indoors within 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer. I doubt any of those are a high risk.

BTW, someone jumped the gun on the WV board and posted all MD is online and fall sports has been called off. Lets all stop with the speculation and rumors until official announcements have been made! This is not being helpful at all.

Again, how can any school system justify permitting sports if hybrid learning and/or 100% virtual learning occur?

Schools in MD will require students to wear masks both inside and outside. Additionally, social distancing will be required whether students are inside or outside.

I don’t think anyone is “speculating” or spreading “rumors.”

The reality is how do two teams playing volleyball, soccer, football, etc. play each other while practicing social distancing? Unfortunately, it can’t happen.

This is certainly a disappointment for players, coaches, parents, and fans.

A significant concern is that students involved in extra-curricular activities are motivated by such. Without such activities, motivation to learn for some students will likely be lacking.

Yes, it’s 100 percent true VA canceled fall football. One of the highest recruited players in the country played in VA, he said he isn’t moving to play he is going train and goto college early

WCAC (The league with DeMatha, Good Counsel, etc) announced today they are postponing the football season until February

WCAC (The league with DeMatha, Good Counsel, etc) announced today they are postponing the football season until February
Winter and spring football. Going to be interesting if it happens. I personally don't see COVID being deemed safe by winter anymore than it is now. In fact, I have a suspicion winter may be the worst wave yet to come.

The problems I see are that every county, every conference, every state, every level in college are operating under their own set of guidelines - of which there really are no COVID guidelines or exact timelines. Like you said with PG County and spring football...it's nothing but chatter right now with zero planning for such. It will just be a mess trying to piece together games outside your whatever league or county you reside in.

I am going to make a prediction that Maryland won't see football until next August 2021. Want to be wrong.

Any clue Todd
When MD might call it off any meeting planned
KY just delayed theirs till 1st game on 9/11 today

Any clue Todd
When MD might call it off any meeting planned
KY just delayed theirs till 1st game on 9/11 today

They are fighting over whether to even open schools right now. Many counties in MD have already dropped fall sports including most of the private schools as mentioned above. I can save everyone the anguish...there will be no high school fall sports in Maryland. When the winter wave kicks in there won't be high school sports then either. August 2021.

I believe they are to the point where they have kicked the can as far down the road as they possibly could. In the next week or two we will almost assuredly find out that:

1. Schools will be all online

2. There will be no falll sports but to "kick the can again" they will have a plan in place for the winter/spring
of 2021.

No politics here and I know that co-vid is real and do know families and people it has impacted. I just hope that all of this is justified. Not for teachers or coaches but for all the students and athletes that are going to lose an important part of their childhood. Most of us on this board can certainly speak to the value school and sports added to our lives.

I believe they are to the point where they have kicked the can as far down the road as they possibly could. In the next week or two we will almost assuredly find out that:

1. Schools will be all online

2. There will be no falll sports but to "kick the can again" they will have a plan in place for the winter/spring
of 2021.

No politics here and I know that co-vid is real and do know families and people it has impacted. I just hope that all of this is justified. Not for teachers or coaches but for all the students and athletes that are going to lose an important part of their childhood. Most of us on this board can certainly speak to the value school and sports added to our lives.
The one thing I don't get is that the American Pediatric Assoc. and the CDC said with guidelines and safety precautions kids need to be in school, what is it that the schools or politicians know that these two organizations don't?

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
The one thing I don't get is that the American Pediatric Assoc. and the CDC said with guidelines and safety precautions kids need to be in school, what is it that the schools or politicians know that these two organizations don't?
According to the top politician in the country, the CDC is lying to cost him an election.

Reactions: bigsavage
According to the top politician in the country, the CDC is lying to cost him an election.
He's Right
The CDC, The WHO, The Democrats Have been lying about the whole thing from the beginning.
it's about as bad as Hogan trying to tell people they have to wear a mask in public outdoor places, he doesn't have the Right to tell anyone anything about outside in public places unless there was a law passed and none of us seen it. smh
I will wear a mask in any store that says I have to but other than that they can kiss my ass, when I'm outside these people must be scared because I'm for sure not wearing a mask or hiding from the kung fu flu.

Reactions: RedPride97
He's Right
The CDC, The WHO, The Democrats Have been lying about the whole thing from the beginning.
it's about as bad as Hogan trying to tell people they have to wear a mask in public outdoor places, he doesn't have the Right to tell anyone anything about outside in public places unless there was a law passed and none of us seen it. smh
I will wear a mask in any store that says I have to but other than that they can kiss my ass, when I'm outside these people must be scared because I'm for sure not wearing a mask or hiding from the kung fu flu.
So now we have to believe the CDC's about schools, just so Trump can try to weasel a few more votes at the costs of sick kids?

So now we have to believe the CDC's about schools, just so Trump can try to weasel a few more votes at the costs of sick kids?
Do you think the American Academy of Pediatrics is also just trying to help Trump win an election?

I think the whole thing is a fraud, it's a virus people get it and people die....
People die of the flu, people die of all kinds of things, we all have choices and that's what it should be a CHOICE.
if people don't want to send their kids to school then keep them home..
I can tell ya this my kid is not going to a school with a mask on, it's either safe or it's not..... and Masks don't protect us from anything.
ALL Businesses should of never been closed and the people that wanted them closed should of just stayed the hell home.
People are complaining about Restaurants and Bars saying they aren't doing this or that right, they aren't wearing their mask right, well JUST DON'T GO THERE IF YOU'RE SCARED!!!

Last edited:
I think the whole thing is a fraud, it's a virus people get it and people die....
People die of the flu, people die of all kinds of things, we all have choices and that's what it should be a CHOICE.
if people don't want to send their kids to school then keep them home..
I can tell ya this my kid is not going to a school with a mask on, it's either safe or it's not..... and Masks don't protect us from anything.
ALL Businesses should of never been closed and the people that anted them closed should of just stayed the hell home.
People are complaining about Restaurants and Bars saying they aren't doing this or that right, they aren't wearing their mask right, well JUST DON'T GO THERE IF YOU'RE SCARED!!!
Did you ever wonder why there isn't testing for the seasonal flu? How many would test positive for that? Why aren't we shutting the country down every time there is a surge during flu season. Why did the last administration shut down testing for the swine flu? If anybody really trusts our govt then they have a faith or belief system that is failing them.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
There is testing for the seasonal flu. Most people just dont get tested unless they have symptoms tho.

As for H1N1, its a really interesting read. Our administration at the time basically followed suit with what the rest of the world did, and to clarify did NOT stop testing. They stopped reporting it the same way they had been. Yeah yeah I know, semantics but basically most countries got to the point where they said there's just too much to track. Also, after the H1N1 was determined a global pandemic in April of that year, there was a vaccine readily available by October of that same year. So that definitely played part in the reporting process. Covid was declared a pandemic in March, so hopefully along that same timeline we might see a viable vaccine in September or October.

Just for info only, no commentary on my part.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT