ADVERTISEMENT

Ty Johnson

foreverredandwhite1

Junior Varsity Poster
Feb 27, 2018
Anyone watching MD have any thoughts on how they are using Ty Johnson?

5 carries, 13 yards...what a difference a year makes.

Anyone watching MD have any thoughts on how they are using Ty Johnson?

5 carries, 13 yards...what a difference a year makes.
No difference from this & last yr. His YPC were better last yr, but if he doesn't get the ball at least 15 times per game he's not going to produce (no RB is). Putting him as a decoy or off-tackle won't cut it... Frustrating...

It looked like they were using him primarily for pass blocking. The line is apparently not able to hold off the pass rush because it looks like the backs are meant solely for pass protecting and not getting out as a safety valve.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
They are using him on special teams, blocking. He should be getting 20 carries. MD football is not in a good state. The place was over half empty....very sad. I think they need Coach Appel

No difference from this & last yr. His YPC were better last yr, but if he doesn't get the ball at least 15 times per game he's not going to produce (no RB is). Putting him as a decoy or off-tackle won't cut it... Frustrating...
Isn't that the difference, he's not getting the ball as much?

I really thought his Senior yr. would be his breakout season and set him up for the NFL draft. I said before that I wish he would transfer somewhere else so he could get a real shot. Maryland has screwed this young man if you ask me. I don't even think Ty will get drafted but atleast he got an education out of this mess..

Reactions: cumbfanatic
They are using him on special teams, blocking. He should be getting 20 carries. MD football is not in a good state. The place was over half empty....very sad. I think they need Coach Appel

His best season he had 110 carries in 13 games. Less then half what you said he needed.

He's phenomenal, but would never be a 20-25 carry bell cow.

I said before that I wish he would transfer somewhere else so he could get a real shot. Maryland has screwed this young man if you ask me.

What other power 5 school was offering him? I'm not sure if some place better was offering him a chance, but it sounds like Maryland was the biggest school to give him an opportunity. I wouldn't call that screwing.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
What other power 5 school was offering him? I'm not sure if some place better was offering him a chance, but it sounds like Maryland was the biggest school to give him an opportunity. I wouldn't call that screwing.
Believe me alot of D1 teams would love to have Ty... He might not have gotten many offers out of HS but after seeing what he can do at the next level ( YPC ) I'm sure many colleges would take him..Md doesn't give him a chance so yes I would call that getting screwed...

Last edited:
At least after the season he'll get his chance at like the Senior Bowl and the combines. Some NFL team is gonna get a steal cause it's not like he'll be overused by UMD.
He will definitely get an invite to a training camp or atleast i would think so...

I really thought his Senior yr. would be his breakout season and set him up for the NFL draft. I said before that I wish he would transfer somewhere else so he could get a real shot. Maryland has screwed this young man if you ask me. I don't even think Ty will get drafted but atleast he got an education out of this mess..
Your last sentence is the exact reason and most important reason he went back. To get an education.

Believe me alot of D1 teams would love to have Ty... He might not have gotten many offers out of HS but after seeing what he can do at the next level ( YPC ) I'm sure many colleges would take him..Md doesn't give him a chance so yes I would call that getting screwed...
Maryland gave him HIS chance. If he can't do much against Temple, what other DI school is he gonna be featured on?

Your last sentence is the exact reason and most important reason he went back. To get an education.

He could have gone back and got that at any time like many players do. His best chance to play professionally was to leave after last year.

He had a good chance to leave and enter the NFL after last year. He thought he was going to have a great year this year, he did not think it was going to start this way. After his sophomore season he was told all he needed improvement on for the NFL was his pass protection.

Reactions: camper21502
Ty is a legit pro. He's going to look good at the combine and he should be a 3rd or 4th round pick. I think he's going to be KR/PR as a rookie and eventually a 3rd down RB. I see him being used like the Redskins use Chris Thompson or how the Rams used Tavon Austin when he was there.

From what I heard Maryland expected him to turn pro last year.

He is 19th in the country in kickoff returns, averaging 26.3 yards:
19 Ty Johnson
maryland.17.png
Maryland Sr. RB 2 4 105 26.3

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT