ADVERTISEMENT

Ty Johnson gets first NFL TD

How in the hell do you blitz 8 here with 3 DB's Playing Man against 4 WR's??
All You Have to Do is Play Prevent and Win the Game

During the 1938 through 1942, both Tommy Mont and Jimmy Gaffney played at Allegany. Mont went to Maryland as a QB whereas Gaffney to Tennessee also at QB. Gaffney was 2 years ahead of Mont at Alco although they played on some of the same teams.
Gaffney was drafted by the Redskins in 1944 as a QB and backup to none other than Sammy Baugh. During the 1945 to 46 Redskins seasons, Gaffney only had 1 touchdown catch from Baugh.
Tommy Mont on the other hand was drafted in 1947 after his stint in military service. He too was used as a QB/HB and backup for Baugh. During his time with Washington, Tommy threw for 2 TD's, Rushed for one and caught 2 TD's from Baugh. Mont retired and went on to coach at Maryland for 3 years and then on to DePauw University where was highly successful for years at that school.
I even checked to see if Rodney Breedlove and FH's Steve Trimble had scored TD's with Washington/Pittsburgh and Denver respectfully of which neither had any simply due to being defensive standouts for their careers.

Was Ty the first local player to score a TD or rush for 100 yds in the pros?

Although not originally from the area, Jason Snelling who played for the Atlanta Falcons is I believe the same Jason Snelling that played pee wee and possibly youth league for Northern Garrett. I believe he has 8 career NFL tds. He played his youth career in wmd in the mid 90s I believe.

Last edited:
I remember him playing for the Northern pee wee team at that time. He ran all over the place!

Yes he was pretty remarkable.. It was neat seeing him play pee wee in this area then move away only to reemerge on the college and NFL scene later in life. At a young age you could tell he had the potential to make it pro...

• Wow
Reactions: Jailerman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT