ADVERTISEMENT

Turning point of the title game

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
I hope the player for Douglass that was carted off the field is OK. It was good to see him give a thumbs up as they carted him off. If anyone hears his status please post it.

That injury time out took a good 10-15 minutes. Prior to the stoppage Douglass was driving and had the momentum. I said to my friend in front of me, ya know this is a good chance for FH to regroup and use this as a huge time out. Like in a basketball game when a coach calls a time out when the other team is on a roll. Well, after play resumed, FH stuffed Douglass on downs, got the ball back and then proceeded to smash mouth a game clinching touchdown drive while eating up most of the entire 4th quarter clock. That injury time out was huge for FH. Probably the biggest turning point of the game.

Also, many people don't know this...but in high school when a team attempts a field goal, if the kick is missed it is also like a punt. The other team gets the ball where it lands. So if Danny King kicks and misses the field goal and the ball travels into the end zone, it is a touch back. If he kicks it out of bounds at the 3 yard line, the other team gets the ball on the 3 yard line. With 1:04 left in the 2nd quarter they should have let King try a 54 yard FG. If he misses, it's like a punt. Instead they went wildcat formation and got a botched snap and turned it over on downs. Most coaches know this rule but in the heat of the moment seem to forget it.

Yep after that injury timeout FH looked unstoppable.. They came out and had their way with Douglass.. It was a turning point for sure..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT