ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts and perspective on the 2018 Season

wvbossman

Junior Varsity Poster
Nov 1, 2012
I see lot's of interesting thoughts and perspectives on this board. As with any message board it starts with insight and often ends in insult when we disagree with others. That is unfortunate but is part of the world we live in today. To sum up some of what we've seen thus far in 2018:

1. Fort Hill continues to be what high school football programs aspire to be. A program founded on tradition and made strong year in and out through hard work, attention to detail and excellent coaching. No I am not a Fort Hil graduate, just a neutral observer.

2. Allegany had their struggles this year and took a lot of heat from many people on this board. I don't know for sure but maybe they played a lot of young kids who were learning "Friday" football and they can build and improve next year. That is my hope and we must remember that although they have struggled with FH they have played them closer than any other local school in recent years.

3. Southern had a good year and at one time they fielded great teams consistently. Time will tell whether they can maintain the level of play they did this year. It would be great to see them do that on a consistent basis.

4. Mountain Ridge won some big games this year and benefited greatly from the transfer of a very strong player. I wish him the best in his search for a place to play on the next level.

5. Northern seemed to be in the same boat as Allegany. Playing many young kids and they had their ups and downs. I always though Coach Carr and he staff did a great job with the level of talent he had to work with. The future looks good for the Huskies.

6. Frankfort bounced back from a few years of being down. Coach Whiteman, much like Coach Carr does an excellent job with level of talent he has to work with. It would be nice to see them return to being a consistently good West Virginia AA football program.

7. Keyser had another consistent year. Hats off to Coach Biser and his staff for always fielding a strong team that plays an aggressive brand of football and they along with Fort Hill are always one of the most physical teams in the area.

High School football is such a great thing for any community. It has the ability to bond and unite people and it is fun to watch the young people in your community excel on the field of play and learn so many great life lessons along the way.

The downside to sports these days on any level is the attitude that many adults take towards players and coaches. ESPN, social media,the emphasis our society places on sports and unrealistic expectations of obtaining scholarships has turned the average fan into an analyst and advocate for their own personal agenda.

It would serve many of us well if we spent some time coaching. I think that if we did our perspective and expectations of those that do coach would change. I thought I had an above average knowledge of football until I spent a few years coaching high school football. I found out how little I actually knew and how difficult it really was to do. It was very humbling to say the least.

We are blessed with many good men who are coaching in our area. It is said that there are two types of coaches in any sport.Those that coach for their personal gain and glory and those that coach for the benefit of their players, schools and communities. Although we may question the play calls and decisions of our local coaches I think most of us would agree that we have coaches who are truly in it for their players, schools and communities.

Good Luck to all the teams who have made the playoffs this year!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT