ADVERTISEMENT

The new MPSSAA Football Playoff Format

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
I posted this in another thread, but felt maybe this should have its own subject line so I am moving it here.

The new playoff format has not been officially approved yet at this time, but it looks like it is coming. Quite possibly in time for the next 2019 season.

In a nutshell, the MPSSAA is keeping the North, South, East, West regional set up. Eight teams from each region will now make the playoffs instead of just four. This adds an extra week to the playoffs. The regular season will be cut back from ten games to nine games to compensate. Everyone will be guaranteed 10 games, even teams that don't make the playoffs and the money will be shared evenly so every school gets money for a 10 game schedule.

Here is what the 2018 Class 1A playoffs this year would have looked like with the new regions and the new format. Just to give an example I will assume and move the top seeded team forward. The top 8 teams in each region play each other through the first two rounds. Two teams from each region are then declared Regional Co-Champion. Then they take the top 8 regional co-champions that are left and reseed them into the quarterfinals of the third round, just like we currently have done with the semifinals.

2018 CLASS 1A FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS IF THE NEW FORMAT AND NEW REGIONS WERE USED

WEST
FIRST ROUND
(8) Clear Spring at (1) Fort Hill
(5) Mountain Ridge at (4) Southern Garrett
(6) Brunswick at (3) Boonsboro
(7) Allegany at (2) Catoctin

SECOND ROUND
(4) Southern Garrett at (1) Fort Hill
(3) Boonsboro at (2) Catoctin

NORTH
FIRST ROUND
(8) Francis Scott Key at (1) Dunbar
(5) Douglass-Balt at (4) Reginald Lewis
(6) New Era at (3) Lake Clifton
(7) Carver Vo-Tech at (2) Edmondson-Westside

SECOND ROUND
(4) Reginald Lewis at (1) Dunbar
(3) Lake Clifton at (2) Edmondson-Westside

SOUTH
FIRST ROUND
(8) Friendly at (1) Fairmont Heights
(5) Western STES at (4) Largo
(6) Loch Raven at (3) Randallstown
(7) McDonough at (2) Gwynn Park

SECOND ROUND
(4) Largo at (1) Fairmont Heights
(3) Randallstown at (2) Gwynn Park

EAST
FIRST ROUND
(8) Washington at (1) Havre de Grace
(5) Bohemia Manor at (4) Colonel Richardson
(6) Kent County at (3) Perryville
(7) Joppatowne at (2) Cambridge-SD

SECOND ROUND
(4) Colonel Richardson at (1) Havre de Grace
(3) Perryville at (2) Cambridge-SD

THIRD ROUND - All remaining 8 teams will be reseeded based on the regular season final point totals
(8) Gwynn Park at (1) Dunbar
(5) Havre de Grace at (4) Edmondson-Westside
(6) Fairmont Heights at (3) Catoctin
(7) Cambridge-SD at (2) Fort Hill

FOURTH ROUND - SEMIFINALS
(4) Edmondson-Westside at (1) Dunbar
(3) Catoctin at (2) Fort Hill

---------------------------------------------------------------

OPEN BRACKET (Consolation Games)
Teams that did not make the playoffs will also have their own bracket to participate in.
This will also be like a mini-playoff format. Teams will advance to a final.

WEST
Hancock at Northern Garrett
Williamsport at Smithsburg

NORTH
Benjamin Franklin at Forest Park
NAF (Bye)

SOUTH
Central at Pikesville
Surrattsville (Bye)

EAST
Snow Hill at Patterson Mill
Fallston (Bye)

*** Keep in mind the MPSSAA has already realigned classes and regions with their last proposal. That is why you see new teams in the above 1A examples such as Williamsport and Gwynn Park. They dropped to 1A while teams like Douglass-PG and Lackey move out of 1A. The new proposed regions and classifications are here at this link:
https://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/Proposed_Classifications__For_Each_Sport_19-21.pdf

*** Also, the MPSSAA will now be sport specific just like in Pennsylvania. In other words...Boonsboro will be Class 1A in Football, but Class 2A in boys soccer. Dunbar will be Class 1A in football, but Class 2A in boys basketball.

*** Also of note locally...the Homecoming game between Allegany and Fort Hill will now get bumped up to Week 9 (or Halloween basically).

Last edited:
I wonder if JV football will still be able to play a 9 game schedule or will this change affect it?

I like the possibility of a Cumberland State Championship Game... I dont like the open bracket/ participation trophy bracket.. I could just see some poor school hanging an open tournament Champions banner lol

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread, but felt maybe this should have its own subject line so I am moving it here.

The new playoff format has not been officially approved yet at this time, but it looks like it is coming. Quite possibly in time for the next 2019 season.

In a nutshell, the MPSSAA is keeping the North, South, East, West regional set up. Eight teams from each region will now make the playoffs instead of just four. This adds an extra week to the playoffs. The regular season will be cut back from ten games to nine games to compensate. Everyone will be guaranteed 10 games, even teams that don't make the playoffs and the money will be shared evenly so every school gets money for a 10 game schedule.

Here is what the 2018 Class 1A playoffs this year would have looked like with the new regions and the new format. Just to give an example I will assume and move the top seeded team forward. The top 8 teams in each region play each other through the first two rounds. Two teams from each region are then declared Regional Co-Champion. Then they take the top 8 regional co-champions that are left and reseed them into the quarterfinals of the third round, just like we currently have done with the semifinals.

2018 CLASS 1A FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS IF THE NEW FORMAT AND NEW REGIONS WERE USED

WEST
FIRST ROUND
(8) Clear Spring at (1) Fort Hill
(5) Mountain Ridge at (4) Southern Garrett
(6) Brunswick at (3) Boonsboro
(7) Allegany at (2) Catoctin

SECOND ROUND
(4) Southern Garrett at (1) Fort Hill
(3) Boonsboro at (2) Catoctin

NORTH
FIRST ROUND
(8) Francis Scott Key at (1) Dunbar
(5) Douglass-Balt at (4) Reginald Lewis
(6) New Era at (3) Lake Clifton
(7) Carver Vo-Tech at (2) Edmondson-Westside

SECOND ROUND
(4) Reginald Lewis at (1) Dunbar
(3) Lake Clifton at (2) Edmondson-Westside

SOUTH
FIRST ROUND
(8) Friendly at (1) Fairmont Heights
(5) Western STES at (4) Largo
(6) Loch Raven at (3) Randallstown
(7) McDonough at (2) Gwynn Park

SECOND ROUND
(4) Largo at (1) Fairmont Heights
(3) Randallstown at (2) Gwynn Park

EAST
FIRST ROUND
(8) Washington at (1) Havre de Grace
(5) Bohemia Manor at (4) Colonel Richardson
(6) Kent County at (3) Perryville
(7) Joppatowne at (2) Cambridge-SD

SECOND ROUND
(4) Colonel Richardson at (1) Havre de Grace
(3) Perryville at (2) Cambridge-SD

THIRD ROUND - All remaining 8 teams will be reseeded based on the regular season final point totals
(8) Gwynn Park at (1) Dunbar
(5) Havre de Grace at (4) Edmondson-Westside
(6) Fairmont Heights at (3) Catoctin
(7) Cambridge-SD at (2) Fort Hill

FOURTH ROUND - SEMIFINALS
(4) Edmondson-Westside at (1) Dunbar
(3) Catoctin at (2) Fort Hill

---------------------------------------------------------------

OPEN BRACKET (Consolation Games)
Teams that did not make the playoffs will also have their own bracket to participate in.
This will also be like a mini-playoff format. Teams will advance to a final.

WEST
Hancock at Northern Garrett
Williamsport at Smithsburg

NORTH
Benjamin Franklin at Forest Park
NAF (Bye)

SOUTH
Central at Pikesville
Surrattsville (Bye)

EAST
Snow Hill at Patterson Mill
Fallston (Bye)

*** Keep in mind the MPSSAA has already realigned classes and regions with their last proposal. That is why you see new teams in the above 1A examples such as Williamsport and Gwynn Park. They dropped to 1A while teams like Douglass-PG and Lackey move out of 1A. The new proposed regions and classifications are here at this link:
https://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/Proposed_Classifications__For_Each_Sport_19-21.pdf

*** Also, the MPSSAA will now be sport specific just like in Pennsylvania. In other words...Boonsboro will be Class 1A in Football, but Class 2A in boys soccer. Dunbar will be Class 1A in football, but Class 2A in boys basketball.

*** Also of note locally...the Homecoming game between Allegany and Fort Hill will now get bumped up to Week 9 (or Halloween basically).

The more and more I think about it the more and more the idea is coming around to me. I do like the fact that more teams will make the playoffs. In certain regions across the State that will become a huge factor. And to be honest that is probably one of the biggest reasons this format will pass. You had an 8-2 and 7-3 team miss out on the playoffs in one region this year. 20 teams had winning records in MD this year that didn't make the playoffs. And before you come with the not all teams with a winning record are good teams argument. I will grant that to you already. I do like the idea of a team getting on a roll and finishing 6-4 or 7-3 and maybe on the outside of the playoffs in the old format but they get in now and might just keep the roll up all the way to a State Championship.

Todd, I see on here that you state this could be in affect as early as this year. That seems to me to be a bit of a stretch. I would think the MPSSAA would have to give schools at least one year's notice to make changes to their schedules. It isn't going to be as easy as most think. Example... Mountain Ridge has Keyser in MD Week 10. I'm sure it wouldn't bother Mountain Ridge to drop Keyser and still have a 9-game schedule but that is pretty crappy to do to Keyser last minute. And Mountain Ridge doesn't want to take Keyser off the schedule. If they are forced to do it last minute how will that affect Mountain Ridge possibly being able to get them on a different week in the future.

One last thing Todd, I saw the "Open Bracket Tournament" as you put it in the post, I saw you put that it is basically the "losers bracket" and they will play to a final. Is that just a region final or will they have a similar type bracket where they will have a final that could put the West Region Champ vs. East Region Champ (just using those two regions as example) in what would basically be a Championship Game for the losers bracket.

So if this goes into effect this coming year, Mt Ridge's game 9, Fort Hill, will be eliminated so FH can play Alco. It's doubtful that MR's game 10, which has been Keyser as of late would be able to move up a week because of their own schedule. So in effect the new playoff system will leave MR with eight games this coming year.

One last thing Todd, I saw the "Open Bracket Tournament" as you put it in the post, I saw you put that it is basically the "losers bracket" and they will play to a final. Is that just a region final or will they have a similar type bracket where they will have a final that could put the West Region Champ vs. East Region Champ (just using those two regions as example) in what would basically be a Championship Game for the losers bracket.

Well you can't call the set up with teams that don't make the playoffs a Loser's Bracket because they didn't lose in the post season. This is more of a politically correct Consolation Bracket and yes they would play a final. So for example, someone like Smithsburg this year might be playing football up until Thanksgiving as long as they keep winning. I find this a positive, it gives teams that didn't fare so well in the regular season a chance to build on something positive against other teams more on their level.

I'm hearing this new playoff likely will get approved by April. They want it in this year because it will correspond with the new reclassification cycle year. It is also why you see the new region breakdown more balanced. No more 7 teams in the 1A South for example. They finally broke up the huge 1A North with all the Baltimore schools (against Baltimore City demands) to even all regions out and get ready for this new playoff. But ABSOLUTELY, it will cause massive scheduling problems in April and through the summer. Big Time. Teams in other states like Keyser could be left out in the cold needing to find another game late. At the same time, the MPSSAA schools must schedule now and through the winter based on the current playoff system. Get 10 games. And teams cannot afford to schedule better competition just yet. To which I agree, it would be better to implement this for 2020. I don't know why it has to correspond with a reclassification cycle. My guess is that most Maryland counties set their local schedules every two years in correspondence with the same MPSSAA two year cycle.

PROS AND CONS
To me, the pros far outweigh the cons. I look at it this way...if I didn't call week 10 a playoff game and told you the MPSSAA was forcing local teams in the same region to play each other that week it would sound better. Because really in a sense that is what the MPSSAA is doing. If Clear Spring doesn't want to play FH in that week 10 playoff round they can bail and forfeit, but they wouldn't get any money.

As for the money, the MPSSAA will collect all gate receipts week 10 and then evenly distribute that money to every single team. That will alleviate teams complaining they didn't get 5 home games. Everyone basically gets gate money for Week 10 now like it is a home game.

This format should losen up scheduling for the playoffs. No need to say more here.

Call this expanded 32 team playoff a participation trophy if you must. It is to a degree. But times are not the same anymore and every other sport works this way. Football participation numbers are dropping across the state and country. There is some hope that making the playoffs gives certain teams a feeling of success and can increase interest. Look at Northern Garrett for example, their only goal to be successful every year is making the playoffs. They have no unrealistic dreams of winning it all. That is the case for so, so many teams. So I say let more of them in.

I know the first round of the playoffs will be blowouts, but as I said before...the whole regular season has become a series of blowouts because teams won't play one another. Mostly out of fear of missing the playoffs.

Lastly, this new format takes the final 8 teams and reseeds them 1-8...exactly like WV does 1-16. BINGO! So schools now have to finish in the Top Two of their respective region by playing other region teams and then BINGO a 1-8 playoff where yes, now Alco and FH can play each other in Annapolis if they prove to be the best two teams on the field.

Last edited:
I wonder if JV football will still be able to play a 9 game schedule or will this change affect it?

Good question. I doubt (not sure) they have addressed this issue yet and are just focused on getting this new format approved. It is an easy fix. The first play date for 2019 is Friday, September 6. Just bump the first play date up to Tuesday, September 3 so frosh and JV can start that week.

Last edited:
So if this goes into effect this coming year, Mt Ridge's game 9, Fort Hill, will be eliminated so FH can play Alco. It's doubtful that MR's game 10, which has been Keyser as of late would be able to move up a week because of their own schedule. So in effect the new playoff system will leave MR with eight games this coming year.
This is the exact reason there can be no way that the MPSSAA can implement such a system so quickly. It is ludicrous to think that schools can mess with their schedules like that. I get that Todd says it could be approved in April. That would give them 3 to 4 months to figure it out. Still, that is a lot to ask of the schools if you ask me.

Reactions: camper21502
Well you can't call the set up with teams that don't make the playoffs a Loser's Bracket because they didn't lose in the post season. This is more of a politically correct Consolation Bracket and yes they would play a final. So for example, someone like Smithsburg this year might be playing football up until Thanksgiving as long as they keep winning. I find this a positive, it gives teams that didn't fare so well in the regular season a chance to build on something positive against other teams more on their level.

I'm hearing this new playoff likely will get approved by April. They want it in this year because it will correspond with the new reclassification cycle year. It is also why you see the new region breakdown more balanced. No more 7 teams in the 1A South for example. They finally broke up the huge 1A North with all the Baltimore schools (against Baltimore City demands) to even all regions out and get ready for this new playoff. But ABSOLUTELY, it will cause massive scheduling problems in April and through the summer. Big Time. Teams in other states like Keyser could be left out in the cold needing to find another game late. At the same time, the MPSSAA schools must schedule now and through the winter based on the current playoff system. Get 10 games. And teams cannot afford to schedule better competition just yet. To which I agree, it would be better to implement this for 2020. I don't know why it has to correspond with a reclassification cycle. My guess is that most Maryland counties set their local schedules every two years in correspondence with the same MPSSAA two year cycle.

PROS AND CONS
To me, the pros far outweigh the cons. I look at it this way...if I didn't call week 10 a playoff game and told you the MPSSAA was forcing local teams in the same region to play each other that week it would sound better. Because really in a sense that is what the MPSSAA is doing. If Clear Spring doesn't want to play FH in that week 10 playoff round they can bail and forfeit, but they wouldn't get any money.

As for the money, the MPSSAA will collect all gate receipts week 10 and then evenly distribute that money to every single team. That will alleviate teams complaining they didn't get 5 home games. Everyone basically gets gate money for Week 10 now like it is a home game.

This format should losen up scheduling for the playoffs. No need to say more here.

Call this expanded 32 team playoff a participation trophy if you must. It is to a degree. But times are not the same anymore and every other sport works this way. Football participation numbers are dropping across the state and country. There is some hope that making the playoffs gives certain teams a feeling of success and can increase interest. Look at Northern Garrett for example, their only goal to be successful every year is making the playoffs. They have no unrealistic dreams of winning it all. That is the case for so, so many teams. So I say let more of them in.

I know the first round of the playoffs will be blowouts, but as I said before...the whole regular season has become a series of blowouts because teams won't play one another. Mostly out of fear of missing the playoffs.

Lastly, this new format takes the final 8 teams and reseeds them 1-8...exactly like WV does 1-16. BINGO! So schools now have to finish in the Top Two of their respective region by playing other region teams and then BINGO a 1-8 playoff where yes, now Alco and FH can play each other in Annapolis if they prove to be the best two teams on the field.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean the term "losers bracket" in that way. I meant it more as in there is no way for whichever team that comes out of that bracket to be called a state champion. I was thinking more along the lines of the way some basketball tournaments are set up. If you lose in the first or second game you then compete in the losers bracket for the rest of the tourney with no hopes of taking home the tourney title. I didn't mean to imply that the teams that compete in this bracket are losers.

This format will definitely allow teams that wish to play more challenging teams in the regular season the opportunity to do so without ramifications of missing the playoffs. Todd was masterful at putting together a schedule that would maximize the amount of points that Fort Hill got for their sure wins. That allowed Fort Hill to play at least one or two top level teams each year. They could afford a loss or two without worries because they had wins lined up against teams that would give them a ton of points. That is how the game was forced to be played with the old MPSSAA format. The question will be will schools change the way they schedule once we are in the new format? That remains to be seen.

I am most excited about the reseed once you get down to two teams in your region. This should allow more competitive semifinals and championship games. It is also the one thing I am most shocked that they are doing. All you heard from the MPSSAA about why they wouldn't change the current format is because they had to have regional play. They had to have the regions. Now they won't even have a region championship game anymore. Co-Region Champs. Did you ever think you would hear that from them?

I sill think they should start the season a week earlier and have a 10-game schedule. I understand the the MPSSAA is going to take all the revenue from the first round playoff games + first round consolation games (10th games for each school) and evenly divide that between the schools. And that makes sense. However, why should a school who already has revenue from 5 home games on the season (5 Home, 4 Away) get the revenue of another home game versus a school who has (4 Home, 5 Away) during the regular season. To me the schools that only have the 4 home games should be the ones getting the additional revenue and the schools that already have 5 home games shouldn't. Let's face it, unless the AD's get extremely bold, you are going the have 5 home games one year followed by 4 home games the following year. If you start the season a week earlier, it still allows the time to have a 10-week regular season, schools can continue to schedule 5 home and 5 away each year and the MPSSAA can just keep all the revenue for all playoff, consolation games after Week 10.

I read that with the new playoff rule, and I believe this has been happening before that mountain ridge will be 1a for football but 2a for the other sports? I was wonder how the MPSSAA decides which sports play in which class? Is it still based off of enrollment, team participation, or what?
Thanks to anybody that helps me out, I’m curious

I read that with the new playoff rule, and I believe this has been happening before that mountain ridge will be 1a for football but 2a for the other sports? I was wonder how the MPSSAA decides which sports play in which class? Is it still based off of enrollment, team participation, or what?

It's still based on enrollment but now they dont include schools that dont play particular sports when splitting the classes. For instance Crisfield, they dont play football so they are not included when the classes are divided for football but they are included in basketball and all other sports. So there are a different number of schools participating in each sport, so when they break the classes down evenly, some fall in different classes for different sports. Hopefully that makes sense.

Yes, it has happened in the past for Mountain Ridge, they have been 2A in some sports but 1A in others. Mostly when they made the jump to 2A. Some sports they were still 1A. Thankfully in this cycle they will be 1A in all sports. Williamsport and Boonboro are some of the most local of schools that may see this happen in this reclassification cycle.

LHSlancerFAN is correct in what he says. Football will have 180 member playing schools. Therefore is was pretty easy for them to put 45 in each class. Meanwhile, in volleyball there are 191 member playing schools. That means that 48 are in 3 classes and 47 is in the final class. So schools like Williamsport and Boonsboro, who are among the very final schools in 1A in football and most sports, become 2A in sports that have more member playing schools.

Whether or not this playoff/regular season change is good or bad I find it rather ridiculous that the MPSSA would be pushing this for next year given the scheduling issues it is already causing. Its not even official. This will hurt Mtn Ridge financially twice as they will lose larger crowd home games against Fort Hill and Keyser. Yes, as it has been explained, there will be a revenue share in week 10 (1st Rd of the Playoffs) but that may not equal what they would bring in during a 10th game home game against Keyser.

Mtn Ridge is not going to be able to move the FH game to another week unless both teams have an open date together. I would assume out of courtesy they have informed Keyser that they may not be there for them on 11/8 with this proposal.

Why can’t the MPSSAA pull everyone together next week and make it official now? It may have steam and many supporters but it is not yet official. What if it falls through? Teams will be scrambling to get back to 10 games?

Reactions: beall02
Good question. I doubt (not sure) they have addressed this issue yet and are just focused on getting this new format approved. It is an easy fix. The first play date for 2019 is Friday, September 6. Just bump the first play date up to Tuesday, September 3 so frosh and JV can start that week.
Coming from a close friend of mine the JV schedule will be altered. I hear that for the first time in many years that Allegany and FH JV will only play once this year in Little Homecoming

Coming from a close friend of mine the JV schedule will be altered. I hear that for the first time in many years that Allegany and FH JV will only play once this year in Little Homecoming

Just so I understand what you are saying correctly...the JV will only play an 8 game schedule now instead of 9?
That would be pretty crappy. Give the kids the extra game if they want it.

The way I understand it is that the last play date cannot be before the first round of the playoffs. In other words, the first round of the playoffs can still be a regular season game for those teams that choose to schedule one. The MPSSAA would have to adjust the COMAR regulations otherwise. So that means the first round of these new playoffs would still be a regular season game for the JV if they choose to do so. In layman's terms that means the JV can play a 9 game schedule still.

What I am advocating for has nothing to do with whether FH and Alco play once or twice, but whether the JV and freshman teams can play 8 or 9 games.

Last edited:
Just so I understand what you are saying correctly...the JV will only play an 8 game schedule now instead of 9?
That would be pretty crappy. Give the kids the extra game if they want it.

The way I understand it is that the last play date cannot be before the first round of the playoffs. In other words, the first round of the playoffs can still be a regular season game for those teams that choose to schedule one. The MPSSAA would have to adjust the COMAR regulations otherwise. So that means the first round of these new playoffs would still be a regular season game for the JV if they choose to do so. In layman's terms that means the JV can play a 9 game schedule still.

What I am advocating for has nothing to do with whether FH and Alco play once or twice, but whether the JV and freshman teams can play 8 or 9 games.
Not sure of the rules just saying what I heard about Allegany JV schedule. I know before that JV could not play after varsity regular season is complete. It will still be great if the JV could still play a 9 game schedule. I personally would like to see JV games played on Saturday's of course with the exception of homecoming. I know the first JV game is scheduled for a Saturdat at Mt.Ridge

Not sure of the rules just saying what I heard about Allegany JV schedule. I know before that JV could not play after varsity regular season is complete. It will still be great if the JV could still play a 9 game schedule. I personally would like to see JV games played on Saturday's of course with the exception of homecoming. I know the first JV game is scheduled for a Saturdat at Mt.Ridge

I'm with you. Appreciate the info. If you hear anything more please feel free to share.

I have an interview with MPSSAA director Andy Warner coming up for a CTN article I'm writing in regards to the new playoff format on the table. It seems the MPSSAA has been a little hush-hush about details because they all fear saying something that won't pan out. Being a schedule making guy though, this whole process is hand-tying ADs and coaches. Surely, Andy might be able to shed some type of light such as the JV stuff we have been talking about. I will surely ask.

If I had a dollar for every person that asked me what day Homecoming will be next year I could at least buy lunch at Coney Island. My answer is...likely November 2 or possibly November 9 if the playoff vote doesn't go through. And if it does go through, what happens here locally to the week 9 games like FH at Mountain Ridge and Alco at Southern. I don't think FH wants to bump Mountain Ridge to get Homecoming in that date. Just examples of how bad this timing is. Bottom line: there is no reason the MPSSAA could not hold their emergency vote now instead of April to determine if we are using the new playoff format in 2019.

Have a Blue Christmas (the good kind).

Reactions: cumbfanatic
I'm with you. Appreciate the info. If you hear anything more please feel free to share.

I have an interview with MPSSAA director Andy Warner coming up for a CTN article I'm writing in regards to the new playoff format on the table. It seems the MPSSAA has been a little hush-hush about details because they all fear saying something that won't pan out. Being a schedule making guy though, this whole process is hand-tying ADs and coaches. Surely, Andy might be able to shed some type of light such as the JV stuff we have been talking about. I will surely ask.

If I had a dollar for every person that asked me what day Homecoming will be next year I could at least buy lunch at Coney Island. My answer is...likely November 2 or possibly November 9 if the playoff vote doesn't go through. And if it does go through, what happens here locally to the week 9 games like FH at Mountain Ridge and Alco at Southern. I don't think FH wants to bump Mountain Ridge to get Homecoming in that date. Just examples of how bad this timing is. Bottom line: there is no reason the MPSSAA could not hold their emergency vote now instead of April to determine if we are using the new playoff format in 2019.

My guess is it will be a done deal. Allegany has the 2019 schedule completed and Southern is off of it in week 9 replace with Fort Hill for homecoming on November 2nd

I don't see it happening next year. There seems to be a lot of unanswered questions around how the system would work. The finances for the football & fall sports season weren't impressive at all. Mainly due to the weather issues.

They did vote on the proposal at the most recent meeting on December 12. The state football Committee voted 8 to 1 in favor of a 9-game regular season. The overall board voted 36 to 14 in favor of the same 9-game regular season format. The main thing that seems to be driving this change is the fact that every other MPSSAA team sport has every team make the postseason and football doesn't. It is also noteworthy that it all started with an overwhelming call from the ENTIRE state to change the current system.

It also seems that the teams that do not make the playoffs in the new system will NOT be allowed to play any games once the playoffs start in Week 10. The Committee noted some rule/law that wouldn't allow it. Not sure how easy it would be/if able to at all to change that law/rule.

And there also seems to be no traction at all to keep a 10-game regular season and still change to the new proposed playoff format.

I would love to be in the room for the interview with Ned to ask some questions, lol.

Reactions: bleedred
I don't see it happening next year. There seems to be a lot of unanswered questions around how the system would work. The finances for the football & fall sports season weren't impressive at all. Mainly due to the weather issues.

They did vote on the proposal at the most recent meeting on December 12. The state football Committee voted 8 to 1 in favor of a 9-game regular season. The overall board voted 36 to 14 in favor of the same 9-game regular season format. The main thing that seems to be driving this change is the fact that every other MPSSAA team sport has every team make the postseason and football doesn't. It is also noteworthy that it all started with an overwhelming call from the ENTIRE state to change the current system.

It also seems that the teams that do not make the playoffs in the new system will NOT be allowed to play any games once the playoffs start in Week 10. The Committee noted some rule/law that wouldn't allow it. Not sure how easy it would be/if able to at all to change that law/rule.

And there also seems to be no traction at all to keep a 10-game regular season and still change to the new proposed playoff format.

I would love to be in the room for the interview with Ned to ask some questions, lol.

Ned is no longer in charge. Hasn't been for a few years now.

The fact that Montgomery County, one of the most influential counties in the state, released a 9 game schedule to the Principals and AD's for approval seems to be a good indicator that this is going to take effect next year. My guess is that while the "official" vote hasn't taken place, they already know what the outcome will be and the Counties have been advised to move forward with a 9 game schedule. I'm sure there has to be something in the bylaws allowing for an emergency vote of some sort for things like this but well....this is the MPSSAA after all and normal logic rarely applies!

The 9-game format got voted on again at a meeting in late January by the MPSSAA Executive Counsel and was once again approved. One step closer. Last hurdles seems to be meetings in late April.

The 9-game format got voted on again at a meeting in late January by the MPSSAA Executive Counsel and was once again approved. One step closer. Last hurdles seems to be meetings in late April.

The MPSSAA is not going to veer off the path at this point with the new playoff format. Granted there is one last hurdle to clear, but for them to vote it down as late as April, after passing out notices to put a 9 game schedule in place, would be total chaos. Every team has rearranged their schedule to accommodate the 9 game regular season. For them to all of the sudden say every team has to scramble this late to rearrange and add another game while going back to the old format would be the biggest failure in the history of MD high school athletics. Even that is beyond the MPSSAA. And the state education system would have to step in to fix the mess.

In retrospect, the MPSSAA really should have waited one more year to implement this new format in time for the 2020 season.

The MPSSAA is not going to veer off the path at this point with the new playoff format. Granted there is one last hurdle to clear, but for them to vote it down as late as April, after passing out notices to put a 9 game schedule in place, would be total chaos. Every team has rearranged their schedule to accommodate the 9 game regular season. For them to all of the sudden say every team has to scramble this late to rearrange and add another game while going back to the old format would be the biggest failure in the history of MD high school athletics. Even that is beyond the MPSSAA. And the state education system would have to step in to fix the mess.

In retrospect, the MPSSAA really should have waited one more year to implement this new format in time for the 2020 season.
It would suck, and I agree, there is no way it doesn't get approved now. And my statement above wasn't meant to shake it up and put any doubt in the thoughts of it happening. None of the votes have been close. I just have a lot of questions about how it will look in the end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT