ADVERTISEMENT

The end of a very long rivalry is coming to an end

Jailerman

All State Poster
Feb 26, 2005
LaVale, MD
www.leaguelineup.com
As I was reading this site today, I noticed that Keyser played Berkeley Springs and it dawned on me...this will be the first time since 1914 that Allegany and Keyser have not met on the gridiron. I had to look it up and sure enough it was true.

Most know that Alco and Keyser have played since the Allegany on Sedgwick in 1926, however the Tornado and Allegany goes back to 1914 when Allegany was known as ALCO.

Back in those years, many local teams only played 5 or 6 games due to no local teams available. Sometimes they would play each other twice in one season for the same reason.

It is just a shame this virus has put a halt to this wonderful testament of time and local pride. For a long time it was Alco and Martinsburg since 1926, but that stopped in 1997, but Keyser / Alco continued until 2020. Just a sad thing to see, but we'll pick it up again next year.

Not true. Keyser did not field a team in 1920 because of the Spanish flu
Mike...you may be right about 1920. I have research this and low and behold...1920 they did not play. However, I never knew it was because of the Spanish flu...WHO KNEW... :) and go figure its another virus 100 years later that stopped the streak. Thank you for clarifying this for me. Now I know why I could'nt find 1920 game.

ADVERTISEMENT