ADVERTISEMENT

Teams dropping St. Frances

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...seph-st-frances-miaa-football-0531-story.html

Hundred won't play Petersburg, Petersburg won't play Keyser, Keyser won't play Fort Hill, Fort Hill won't play Martinsburg, Martinsburg won't play Calvert Hall and Calvert Hall won't play St. Frances.

It's a "feelings get hurt" disease. Thank god they stopped listing who the losing pitcher was in little league baseball so Little Johnny doesn't develop a mental complex.

The only issue I take with that Sun article is seeing Calvert Hall and Mount St. Joseph use recruiting as one of the excuses not to play St. Frances. That's like WVU refusing to play Maryland while stating the reason is because the Terps have too many hillbillies living here.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...seph-st-frances-miaa-football-0531-story.html

Hundred won't play Petersburg, Petersburg won't play Keyser, Keyser won't play Fort Hill, Fort Hill won't play Martinsburg, Martinsburg won't play Calvert Hall and Calvert Hall won't play St. Frances.

It's a "feelings get hurt" disease. Thank god they stopped listing who the losing pitcher was in little league baseball so Little Johnny doesn't develop a mental complex.

The only issue I take with that Sun article is seeing Calvert Hall and Mount St. Joseph use recruiting as one of the excuses not to play St. Frances. That's like WVU refusing to play Maryland while stating the reason is because the Terps have too many hillbillies living here.

I've said this for years, using school enrollment is a cop-out. It's all about the commitment to the sports program. And in this situation it seems racism is also a factor.

Calvert Hall and MSJ have the resources to do what St. Frances is doing, but it's easier to whine about it. Maryland 1A and 2A schools (Dunbar, D-Mass) can compete with the best 4A schools because their administration have made a commitment to their football program.

Last edited:
I've said this for years, using school enrollment is a cop-out. It's all about the commitment to the sports program. And it this situation it seems racism is also a factor.

Calvert Hall and MSJ have the resources to do what St. Frances is doing, but it's easier to whine about it. Maryland 1A and 2A schools (Dunbar, D-Mass) can compete with the best 4A schools because their administration have made a commitment to their football program.

In the case of private schools enrollment does not matter because recruiting is in place. I think St. Frances has less than 300 students. As for public schools enrollment matters in most cases. Some not...as is the case with Walter Johnson and teams like them. Basically their programs are not good - enrollment doesn't help them. But you cannot tell me that if FH and Allegany combined, that team would not be better than just FH or just Alco standing on their own. No way. Miles difference.

Sounds like same ole...same ole to me. If you remember Red Lion from Delaware that ALCO played a few years back, got caught recruiting and their league or association hammered them. Thus Red Lion is back to being a Hancock, MD type of team. They had the money, the facility and a good rep...until some ones feeling got hurt. Same with this case. In some ways BW done it but mostly in BBall...not so much anymore. Hell...it is done in this area to a lesser degree. The Whining and "they cheated and that's no fair," has got to stop. However, Maryland will not do anything as to upset their money bag.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
In the case of private schools enrollment does not matter because recruiting is in place. I think St. Frances has less than 300 students. As for public schools enrollment matters in most cases. Some not...as is the case with Walter Johnson and teams like them. Basically their programs are not good - enrollment doesn't help them. But you cannot tell me that if FH and Allegany combined, that team would not be better than just FH or just Alco standing on their own. No way. Miles difference.

The Sun articles have been very bad and biased towards SFA. They pretty much just let SFA say "they won't play us because we have lots of poor black kids and they're all racist" without doing any research or fact checking.

It's a fact that SFA has illegally played ineligible reclassed 19-year olds because I've seen the voter registrations that prove it. SFA is doing what IMG does, not what any football program in this area has ever done before except Saint John's (DC) the last couple years. They have brought in 30 transfers, many of which are upperclassmen. They are bringing in kids from up and down the Eastern seaboard and from as far away as France. They have almost 30 FBS offered kids. The rest of the MIAA A has 3 Rivals ranked players combined.

The MIAA has chosen not to punish Saint Frances despite knowledge of clear rules violations out of fear of being accused of punishing the "black" school for being successful.

The Sun articles have been very bad and biased towards SFA. They pretty much just let SFA say "they won't play us because we have lots of poor black kids and they're all racist" without doing any research or fact checking.

It's a fact that SFA has illegally played ineligible reclassed 19-year olds because I've seen the voter registrations that prove it. SFA is doing what IMG does, not what any football program in this area has ever done before except Saint John's (DC) the last couple years. They have brought in 30 transfers, many of which are upperclassmen. They are bringing in kids from up and down the Eastern seaboard and from as far away as France. They have almost 30 FBS offered kids. The rest of the MIAA A has 3 Rivals ranked players combined.

The MIAA has chosen not to punish Saint Frances despite knowledge of clear rules violations out of fear of being accused of punishing the "black" school for being successful.

Brings to mind the movie 'Patton' where George C. Scott (as Patton) discovers a young soldier sleeping on the floor and asks him what he is doing. The soldier - after snapping to attention - says, "Taking a nap, sir!".... and, Scott (again, as Patton) says, "Well, get back down there and finish it because you're the only SOB around here that knows what he is doing."

Look at it this way: historically, 75% of MD high school grads need remedial work in jr. college and now (as I understand it) jr. college tuition can be free with a mere 2.3 grade average (emphasis on not having to be a citizen). Yippee!

I agree with ole George C. Scott. SFA should get right back down on the floor and continue because they appear to be one of the few who know what they are doing.

Really, lol. I think you may be a little bit biased. They are obviously bringing in kids but they are a private school and operating within the rules. Just like St. John's is doing in the WCAC. They made a commitment to building a winning program. Are you really questioning the integrity of the entire MIAA?

In public schools enrollment matters in a few cases, but once again it's about the commitment made to the program (admin/coaches/players). D-Mass, Dunbar, FH have the same amount or more kids in their program as the 4A schools. I see your point if you're talking about those 1A / 2A schools that barely have 20 varsity players and don't have off-season workouts.

In public schools enrollment matters in a few cases, but once again it's about the commitment made to the program (admin/coaches/players). D-Mass, Dunbar, FH have the same amount or more kids in their program as the 4A schools. I see your point if you're talking about those 1A / 2A schools that barely have 20 varsity players and don't have off-season workouts.

Allow me drill down a little:

...commitment made to the program (admin/coaches and players to crosstown, cross the beltway or cross country).

And of the three, best get enough speed and beef out of your efforts. Of course, I say, "More power to you."

Just be honest about your methods and goals... and, I suggest you work enough funds into your budget for travel when local teams drop you off their schedule. (Oh, schools should show a little dignity by not dog-talking teams that stop playing them.)

Really, lol. I think you may be a little bit biased. They are obviously bringing in kids but they are a private school and operating within the rules. Just like St. John's is doing in the WCAC. They made a commitment to building a winning program. Are you really questioning the integrity of the entire MIAA?

Definitely. The leadership is terrible and has done nothing to keep Poggi/SFA in check. They have made no statements.

MIAA rules are different than WCAC rules and they have definitely been broken by SFA.

Definitely. The leadership is terrible and has done nothing to keep Poggi/SFA in check. They have made no statements.

MIAA rules are different than WCAC rules and they have definitely been broken by SFA.

OK, I get it, you don't like SF - but saying the MIAA and Baltimore Sun are looking the other way to let them cheat is outlandish.

My bottom line is...you are either in the league or you are not. If you are...then you are required to play St. Frances. If not then get out of the league. This is on the MIAA to maintain league reputation.

Mount St. Joe complaining because St. Frances recruiting efforts have gone too far. Are you kidding me? Mount St. Joe's has had kids playing on their top rated hoops teams from Canada, Europe and Africa.

IF YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM, DROP THEM!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT