ADVERTISEMENT

State of area sports

loco09

All County Poster
Jul 11, 2018
Lots of positives going on locally in sports, lets talk about the good stuff for once instead of being negative. Just a few off the top of my head, please add more and discuss.

- Ty Johnson entering Sr year at Maryland will finish in top 10 all time rushers in school history
- Quincy Redmon on the Miami Dolphins, 2 tackles in pre-season opener last night
- Frostburg St moving to D2 and joining the MEC
- BW basketball
- Competitive HS football season coming, FH will be strong, Alco should be talented as well, Southern on the upswing, Quad coming up
- Finally seems to be a fundraising team in place to fund the rest of the Greenway renovations

Just a few, there are some positive things to be excited about

For what it’s worth; Maryland Rivals has 2 FH players selected to their Preseason Elite All State 2nd Teams (26-Askins on Def and 72-Bishop on OL). They haven’t announced the 1A Preseason 1st Team as of 8/12/18. I assume the Elite Teams consist of all MD HS players 1A-4A plus Private. I would imagine they’ll both be 1A Preseason 1st Team and hopefully some more young men from Allegany and Garrett County. We’re less than a week away from the Queen City Quad and then ALCO scrimmages Smithsburg on 8/24. The Campers may have something sooner, but I couldn’t find it online. It should be an exciting season. I expect the race to the playoffs to be as tight as ever out here in Western MD.

There’s also 2 players listed from Northern HS on the 1A Preseason 2nd Team. Not sure if that’s the Garrett Co team or Owings Mills team.

Offense: https://marylandvarsity.rivals.com/news/second-team-elite-preseason-all-state-offense-4

Defense:
https://marylandvarsity.rivals.com/news/second-team-elite-preseason-all-state-defense-2

Lots of positives going on locally in sports, lets talk about the good stuff for once instead of being negative. Just a few off the top of my head, please add more and discuss.

- Ty Johnson entering Sr year at Maryland will finish in top 10 all time rushers in school history
- Quincy Redmon on the Miami Dolphins, 2 tackles in pre-season opener last night
- Frostburg St moving to D2 and joining the MEC
- BW basketball
- Competitive HS football season coming, FH will be strong, Alco should be talented as well, Southern on the upswing, Quad coming up
- Finally seems to be a fundraising team in place to fund the rest of the Greenway renovations

Just a few, there are some positive things to be excited about
I wonder if Quincy has a real shot at making the team? I watched my 49ers pre-season game hoping to see Niles Scott from Frostburg St. but I didn't see him out there.

It would be great for a local player to stick in the league. Harper from Mountain Ridge was with the Jags last preseason before being cut due to injury and Quincy is obviously with the dolphins this year and his odds probably aren't great but hopefully if he plays well somebody will give him a chance. Hopefully Ty gets a good chance next year as well.

Jarrod Harper actually walked away from football. He got the concussion last August and never recovered. He had a severe headache and issues for over 4 months. He thinks it's from the concussions he had at WV and never reported. Jarrod is one of the lucky ones that has a life and will have a great career after football. It will be nice to see Quincy do well. Yes, Ty has a promising future

For what it’s worth; Maryland Rivals has 2 FH players selected to their Preseason Elite All State 2nd Teams (26-Askins on Def and 72-Bishop on OL). They haven’t announced the 1A Preseason 1st Team as of 8/12/18. I assume the Elite Teams consist of all MD HS players 1A-4A plus Private. I would imagine they’ll both be 1A Preseason 1st Team and hopefully some more young men from Allegany and Garrett County. We’re less than a week away from the Queen City Quad and then ALCO scrimmages Smithsburg on 8/24. The Campers may have something sooner, but I couldn’t find it online. It should be an exciting season. I expect the race to the playoffs to be as tight as ever out here in Western MD.

There’s also 2 players listed from Northern HS on the 1A Preseason 2nd Team. Not sure if that’s the Garrett Co team or Owings Mills team.

Offense: https://marylandvarsity.rivals.com/news/second-team-elite-preseason-all-state-offense-4

Defense:
https://marylandvarsity.rivals.com/news/second-team-elite-preseason-all-state-defense-2[

Defense:
https://marylandvarsity.rivals.com/news/second-team-elite-preseason-all-state-defense-2
Allegany will again travel to South Hagerstown for the annual 4 way next Friday at 6 p.m. Also will scrimmage Smithsburg the next Friday at Greenway and I think that is a 6 p.m. start as well. :)

Allegany will scrimmage at the South Hag annual 4 way at 6 p.m. Also the following Friday evening at Greenway vs. Smithsburg also at 6 p.m. :) Not sure what happened on the previous post above...some supernatural post that got lost.

Thanks. Care to comment about the team this year. Some grads do not live locally and kind of get surprised after the first game. Oh... went to your page the other day. Great read!

Last edited:
Allegany will scrimmage at the South Hag annual 4 way at 6 p.m. Also the following Friday evening at Greenway vs. Smithsburg also at 6 p.m. :) Not sure what happened on the previous post above...some supernatural post that got lost.

The Alco at South Hagerstown scrimmage this Friday is just a two team scrimmage. JV starts at 5:00 and Varsity starts at 7:00 pm.

Last edited:
The Alco at South Hagerstown scrimmage this Friday is just a two team scrimmage. JV starts at 5:00 and Varsity starts at 7:00 pm.

This should tell us a lot about this year's Alco team. I hope we get some first hand reports!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT