ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Rams HELMET GATE

BrianH1974

Blue Chip Poster
May 2, 2005
*Several red birdies have told me that Southern has filed an official complaint with the MPSSAA that the Fort Hill coaching staff has put microphones in the players helmets so they can tell them what to do when the ball is snapped. Southern coaches and their administrators say they have 100% proof on video that the Fort Hill coaching staff and their kids are cheaters. The headphones FH coaches wear are wired in to some of the kids helmets on the field. OMG you cant nmake this stuff up. This is coming from some heavy sources.

*Not only that but Southern head coach Jon Nazzelrode has sent the video to all of the FH opponents. How in the sam hell could an entire coaching staff and a entire roster of kids keep something like this a secret in South Cumberland all these years? No onder FH wins all the time.

*more to surely come on this oneEither coach Appel and his coach staff is fired while FH forfeits games or the coaches and athletic people at Southern will be lynched and made fun of for years to come. Oh boy this is going to be good stuff. They also want to check the football FH kicks with too.

I was told Southern will not play FH any more. The Sentinels are cheaters. I know there are a few people here that can confirm what I have said but I doubt they will.
You dont seriously believe all of this is true do you

It sounds crazy but apparently southern has video evidence. I can also confirm Alco coach both has this video and has shown team

Second hand report but southern game film caught what sounds like Appel talking to a player in the game
They do realize that players often take their helmets off, and get a coaches headset from a coach so they can talk to Appel directly right?

They do realize that players often take their helmets off, and get a coaches headset from a coach so they can talk to Appel directly right?
Yes, but the video supposedly shows Appel talking to a player while that player was in the game. Both southern and Alleganys coach saw enough in the video to send it to schools around the area so that to me says there was some pretty convincing evidence.

It sounds crazy but apparently southern has video evidence. I can also confirm Alco coach both has this video and has shown team
This is what I have heard as well.

I also hear that multiple FH players have confirmed one of the Southern coaches called them a racial slur as FH was leaving the field. I don't know which coach but could probably make an educated guess.

This is too good to be true, but the Southern Coach has already started this. Anyone who watches Fort Hill from the FH side realizes that Fort Hill sets up in their defense before the opposing team breaks their huddle. When they come out, Apple calls for adjustments to the sideline coaches who in turn signal into the defense. That's all he has on tape. Poor little coach N got his feelings hurt because he lost the one game that he felt that he deserved to win. There won't be a next time because he has already stated that he will not honor next year's contract. Let's be honest, he never did intend to play Fort Hill during the season after this year because this is the year that he felt that he had a chance to win. My question is why was the Southern film crew so close to Fort Hill's coaching staff that they could hear and record what they were saying?

Now here's why I'm laughing so hard that my side hurts. Coach N sent tapes, to include the sound tracks of Appel to all of Fort Hill's opponents. One of those being Alco. So now not only does Alco have film of Southern but they have a film of Southern with Coach Apple pointing out their tendencies. Great work Coach!!!! Go put one on them Alco!!!

This is too good to be true, but the Southern Coach has already started this. Anyone who watches Fort Hill from the FH side realizes that Fort Hill sets up in their defense before the opposing team breaks their huddle. When they come out, Apple calls for adjustments to the sideline coaches who in turn signal into the defense. That's all he has on tape. Poor little coach N got his feelings hurt because he lost the one game that he felt that he deserved to win. There won't be a next time because he has already stated that he will not honor next year's contract. Let's be honest, he never did intend to play Fort Hill during the season after this year because this is the year that he felt that he had a chance to win. My question is why was the Southern film crew so close to Fort Hill's coaching staff that they could hear and record what they were saying?

Now here's why I'm laughing so hard that my side hurts. Coach N sent tapes, to include the sound tracks of Appel to all of Fort Hill's opponents. One of those being Alco. So now not only does Alco have film of Southern but they have a film of Southern with Coach Apple pointing out their tendencies. Great work Coach!!!! Go put one on them Alco!!!
Apparently a parent in the stands took the video. These dumbasses do realize that all FH coaches wear headsets, and that Appel communicates to the players on the field through the coaches that are down on the sidelines, who then relay whatever mid play adjustments hes saying to make, to his players. God these FH haters need to take off the f****** tin foil hats and realize when something is total bullshit. What happens if they meet in the post season, is Southern going to forfeit that game? Southern is just angry that they lost a game that they did everything in their power to win before the game even started. That's what's sad about this, the fact that Nazzlerod cant handle a loss

What's even more pathetic is that Hansel would actually run with this bullshit. Like we get it we all knew how Southern would handle that loss, but for Hansel to run with this whole FH cheating thing just kinda shows what kinda man he is. At the end of the day the FH players are 16-18 year old kids, and to berate them with false allegations of cheating simply because they won a football game is just f****** disgraceful for all that are involved in these allegations

*Several red birdies have told me that Southern has filed an official complaint with the MPSSAA that the Fort Hill coaching staff has put microphones in the players helmets so they can tell them what to do when the ball is snapped. Southern coaches and their administrators say they have 100% proof on video that the Fort Hill coaching staff and their kids are cheaters. The headphones FH coaches wear are wired in to some of the kids helmets on the field. OMG you cant nmake this stuff up. This is coming from some heavy sources.

*Not only that but Southern head coach Jon Nazzelrode has sent the video to all of the FH opponents. How in the sam hell could an entire coaching staff and a entire roster of kids keep something like this a secret in South Cumberland all these years? No onder FH wins all the time.

*more to surely come on this oneEither coach Appel and his coach staff is fired while FH forfeits games or the coaches and athletic people at Southern will be lynched and made fun of for years to come. Oh boy this is going to be good stuff. They also want to check the football FH kicks with too.

I guess Southern coach thinks the FH kicker is using a rigged ball, if that is even possible, at the kicking camps he is reportedly attending. Sounds like fluff or poor losers, if Southern has even made these accusations. Appel yells down to the field and into the head sets to the sidelines every play. He yells to players if they can hear him to get in the right lineup. I heard the coaches up top scream through the headsets to the coaches on sidelines to yell out alignments. That is perfectly legal. What could Southern accuse FH of that is illegal: telling the QB where to throw it on the 2-3 passing attempts per game which consist primarily of a hitch. It is not realistic that a linemen or RB can be adhereing to secret directions as a play is quickly developing. It’s impossible and b.s., if it is being claimed.

Last edited:
Southern dropped FH for 3 years saying they had to save the program. But they played Alco. Now they have their one and done class and they will wiggle out of any future comtract. They cancelled the game with their JV vs the FH freshmen but played the next week against the Alco JV. Excuses is all Southern has every time.

Perception is not always reality. If the claims have not even been verified by a legitimate source other than an opponent speculation why are they sharing accusations with anyone? Seems premature at the least. What hard evidence is there beyond the audio, any? This might be a little more than they can chew on if this is false. This sounds like a defamation attempt.

Last edited:
Second hand report but southern game film caught what sounds like Appel talking to a player in the game
If their only relying on audio I sat on Southern side in close proximity to Coach Appel. I saw a FH player on the field look up to Appel to gesture if he was in the correct set. I know video would support this.

Last edited:
Sounds like a bunch BS to me! I really had respect for SGHS football programs. Waiting for something official.

It’s all an effort to get in the FH players and FH fans heads. They want everyone unfocused and angry if they meet in the playoffs. Their hope is that this will lead to more talking on the field, more screaming at the refs, and ultimately more unsportsmanlike penalties. This is their last and only hope, because they can’t beat FH straight up, without the officials keeping them in the game. I have to say; it’s a pretty good strategy to get the officials involved.

The truth is, Coach Appel has the ability to speak telepathically to his players. It’s supernatural and I don’t think there are any rules against that.

Reactions: Harleydeuce
Watch out Red White and True, that telepathic ability actually started when the Rams beat the Pats years ago. They developed this in a bunker at ATK and gave the power to Coaches Todd, Pat and Dave. That's all I'm going to say right now, I think that I hear the black helicopters outside, gotta go!

Watch out Red White and True, that telepathic ability actually started when the Rams beat the Pats years ago. They developed this in a bunker at ATK and gave the power to Coaches Todd, Pat and Dave. That's all I'm going to say right now, I think that I hear the black helicopters outside, gotta go!

Oh boy, we better get our tin foil hats on so the black choppers can communicate with us.

First of all let me state that I am neither a Fort Hill or Southern fan but a neutral observer. I find it highly unlikely that Fort Hill would have microphones in players helmets. My guess is that someone may have overhead the FH coaches calling out Southern' formations and then FH's adjustment to those as Southern set their formation. From that point FH's on field coaches may have signaled in their defensive adjustments.

This is basic football strategy. Formations reveal tendencies and you adjust to those tendencies to take away what you think your opponent may do based on your scouting report. If you are going to make the accusation that your opponent is cheating you need to have proof beyond a reasonable doubt. I hope this is all some type of misunderstanding and not what it is being made out to be.

This seems almost laughable.... of course, I find myself these days thinking, "That will never happen." Then later to find out, yep... it did.

But here... how many defensive schemes are needed against this level of offense. Hell, hand signals from the bench would be more than adequate. In fact, a voice in the helmet to high school kids on the field would seem to generate confusion and more problems than it would solve.

Where am I wrong here?

Here's what I saw happen twice during the 2016 season at a FH home game (I was standing at the top of the visitor bleachers) and sounds almost identical to what is being reported during the Southern game....

1. FH lines up on defense and the opponent breaks the huddle to the LoS
2. Opponent has a man in motion that changes their formation
3. Todd shouts a code word in his mike (from his perch), representing the defensive adjustment, that is relayed to Jeff Brode on the sidelines....
4. Jeff shouts out the code word from the sidelines (I watched and heard) and the defense makes the adjustment....
5. It's efficient, it's rehearsed, and the players know what to expect....

That's not cheating....it's not about half-time adjustments....it's about REAL-time adjustments......they've got it down.....that's "great" coaching and it's effective.

What bothers me the most is how this whole thing has blown up and overshadowed what was a very competitive and hard played game between the boys on both sides of the ball. After all , that is who the focus should really be on but all too often we adults enjoy turning it into something about us and our perceived slights or hurt feelings.
As for whether it is true or not, I have no idea nor does anyone else on this board who has commented. It can look like a duck, it can walk like a duck, but unless the MPSSAA says it is in fact a duck, we are all just quacking about what we think and calling each other names. I would have hoped it would have been handled a bit more discretely for the sakes of all involved but now the proverbial "cat is out of the bag", that is impossible. I would suggest we all just wait until those with all the information offer some sort of resolution. Let's get back to discussing football and the teams ON the field. We have perhaps the most competitive 1A West in recent years for playoff spots!

I felt they were doing this a few years ago. The last time FH played at KHS I sat directly in front of the FH press box. They had their window open so we could hear everything they were yelling. On defense the coaches in the box would yell out kids names and tell them which direction the ball was going after the snap. example: "brayden go left", or "qb has the ball". What good would it do to tell the coaches on the sideline which way the ball was going after the snap. Then they would be up there cussing and yelling at individual kids if they missed a tackle or made a mistake. During a stoppage in play, I turned around and yelled up to them, do your kids have ear pieces in their helmets that allow you to talk to them. He said no they were talking to the coaches, then he shut the window.

That's a flat out mistruth and you know it. And I know exactly who you are because I was inside that window. You're the guy who turned around and yelled at th radio crew and said "are you guys talking to the players?" The radio announcer was like 'um no, this is the radio broadcast'...Hahaha. Most of the press box had a huge laugh at your expense.

The coaches don't stand at the window you're referring to anyway at Keyser, they are on the second level. Lol..we all still laugh at you to this day man. We literally thought you were being sarcastic. Sad.

Do you all really believe that anyone would submit this kind of complaint without convincing evidence? From what I have heard, this is not video from a parent, but official team video with audio. The FH coach was standing near the camera because of a small press box. I have been told that he calls out commands seconds before the snap and his defensive players instantly adjust, without time for another coach from the sideline to prompt the command. Again, apparently the video is very obvious and is pretty much the entire game.

Nothing has been said about the ball the kicker uses. He is amazing athlete and made some NFL kicks that night in less than ideal conditions.

In terms of the officials helping Southern beat FH, do you recall what happened on the last drive of the game for FH? Southern had them stopped 4th and long in FH territory when the refs called a personal foul on Southern after the play to give FH a first down. Not to say FH wouldn't have still won the game but it seemed they benefited greatly from the refs.

In reference to sharing videos, I believe it is regular practice for teams to share videos of other opponents in most cases.

At this point, it is wait and see. There are teams across the country that have been caught and had to vacate wins and titles and there are other teams that got basically a slap on the wrist. Who knows.

Reactions: OneRing
There is a reason FH wins alot of games and is on a level not even close to anyone else locally...and that's because their coaches are phenomenal. Anyone who has been near the coaches in the box know that Coach Appel never shuts up. I mean that in a good way. He is constantly talking to his coaches, adjusting, putting players where they need to be. Etc. Most people who have a clue understand this. Then you have idiots like the KHSGT guy who thinks a radio broadcast is being piped into kids helmets. Lol

The Southern coaches and admin who are pushing this agenda are so out of line and in for a significant backlash. Although it was a set up anyway since the door to the upstairs coaching box where FH usually goes was mysteriously "broken" so the coaches couldn't go up there. I also think some truths are going to come out about this from another local coach who put this idea in Southern's head. Stay tuned. This will unravel soon enough.

Yes it is true. I have read a few inaccuracies here but the jest of it is correct. Southern is convinced FH uses listening devices in the players helmets based on their own game film. The question the accusation raises with me is that it is absolutely impossible to conceal something like this between 16 FH coaches on staff and over 50 teenage kids on the roster. They all have to lie to make this work. The idea that the entire FH coaching staff is involved in a lie of this nature with a team of teenage kids is really, really, really a massive reach. I would love to be a fly on the wall to witness FH coaches instructing their kids they were putting a listening device in their helmet and to not tell anyone. Kids twitter everything the way social media works...to which I can already see multiple area coaches scrambling through the internet to make this true. I can't believe I am actually discussing this to be honest. Let's just say that if anything like this did happen, there is no question the beans would be spilled.

I have good relationships with some of the Southern folks and I have been forthright with my opinion to them directly. My biggest disappointment isn't that the complaint was filed with the MPSSAA but that Southern went and shared it with FH opponents among others. If they wanted to file the complaint, which is still absurd to me, that is one thing. But to slander FH based on an opinion without due process was some pretty low down vindictive stuff. Extremely unprofessional and absolutely a legal issue. This wasn't the only complaint. There are several that are less severe in nature and quite possibly true but still a non-stop list of adults crying over a high school football outcome.

Not everyone has the same opinion and that that shouldn't keep people from respecting one another. I have seen the video and I see nothing that makes this allegation fact outside of an opinion. Even if one believes that FH has a listening device in helmets, making it sound like fact and handing it out to a large array of others was really bad decision that is irreversible. I can see where a person watching the video might make such an assumption but I also know the way FH calls their audibles, which is miles ahead of the antiquated coaching technique of getting in a defensive huddle and calling the defense. FH calls their defensive movements on the fly before the snap. It's extremely impressive. Also know that kids react on the snap. Just because a coach yells BLITZ THE QB after the ball is snapped, the kid is already blitzing the QB because he watched the same film and has already been coached into reading the formation. Again, I am very disappointed mostly in the slander without due process, whether the report is true or false. This incident is sure to only generate more hate and a product that isn't good for the students.

The can of worms has been opened now and there is no closing it unfortunately. Embarrassing to say the least.

On a joking side, if all this is true I am very disappointed in the FH coaching staff. Not because they cheated, but because they still have their QB running to the sideline to get the play call. Idiots, they can't even cheat properly. LOL.

This is probably the craziest accusation I have ever heard in the history of sports in this area.

If anyone listened to WTBO’s broadcast last week against Silver Oak they would have heard Coach Appel talking over his headset to the coaches on the sideline throughout the game. I was not at the game, but it was very evident to me the FH coaches were in very close proximity to the announcers from WTBO. As mentioned by a previous poster, Coach Appel consistently talks to the coaches on the sideline throughout the game.
This was very evident last week.

There is a reason FH has a winning program and not a program that can only compete every ten years or so. It is called preparation in all aspects of the game that does not include radios in helmets. It is about scouting and applying what was learned through scouting via practice.

As mentioned, the truth will eventually be told, and, yes, somebody will need to be held accountable.

I have now heard the cell phone audio of the Southern assistant coach who screamed derogatory obscenities to the FH kids as they left the field. He sounds pissed. Won't surprise anyone when the name comes out. He is directly invloved in the FH CHEATED allegation.

I have now heard the cell phone audio of the Southern assistant coach who screamed derogatory obscenities to the FH kids as they left the field. He sounds pissed. Won't surprise anyone when the name comes out. He is directly invloved in the FH CHEATED allegation.

Just curious if you felt FH players behavior after the game (not to mention during) was acceptable? I do not know of the obscenities yelled by the Southern coach and if that is true, they should be held accountable.

Just curious if you felt FH players behavior after the game (not to mention during) was acceptable? I do not know of the obscenities yelled by the Southern coach and if that is true, they should be held accountable.
Well I don't kow what you know per say about kids actions. I heard there was mud in the locker room and some kids scuffed the Rams gym floor with cleats. If true they should absolutEly be dealt with. But an adult coach yelling these things at opposing kids is anothere animal. But for now it's all hearsay. Yet quite entertaining I must say.

If any of you Facebook Follies are snooping here, go back to your me page and stick with posting pictures of your kids, pets and what you had for breakfast. The heat in this forum kitchen ain't for you. Look away LOL.

Yes, but the video supposedly shows Appel talking to a player while that player was in the game. Both southern and Alleganys coach saw enough in the video to send it to schools around the area so that to me says there was some pretty convincing evidence.
Why would they send it around to area schools? I just don't get the purpose of something like that. Send it to the MPSSAA and let them investigate, it's true or it's not.

The best thing would be to prove he did what you have heard and insist their be consequences.

Why would they send it around to area schools? I just don't get the purpose of something like that. Send it to the MPSSAA and let them investigate, it's true or it's not.

I guess to see if other teams had any evidence to corroborate the allegation.

Well I don't kow what you know per say about kids actions. I heard there was mud in the locker room and some kids scuffed the Rams gym floor with cleats. If true they should absolutEly be dealt with. But an adult coach yelling these things at opposing kids is anothere animal. But for now it's all hearsay. Yet quite entertaining I must say.

If any of you Facebook Follies are snooping here, go back to your me page and stick with posting pictures of your kids, pets and what you had for breakfast. The heat in this forum kitchen ain't for you. Look away LOL.

I personally saw a player come to the home stands and flip off the entire SGHS side. Both hands. I watched them on the baseball field on the way to the locker room... Just surprising to me for a team that beat Southern by 30+ last year and with that kind of pedigree. But again, they are kids...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT