ADVERTISEMENT

Southern/Mountain Ridge scrimmage

beall02

Franchise Poster
Jun 2, 2006
You really couldn't ask for a better day to start off the high school football action (especially considering the weather we had last fall) than what we had yesterday morning for the Southern Rams and Mountain Ridge Miners scrimmage in Frostburg at Miners' Stadium.

It was really good to have football back I must say!!!

Here our my overall thoughts from the scrimmage:

• It was a little difficult to be 100% accurate (JV & Varsity scrimmaged on the same field) but this is my best guess at numbers. Southern had 17 to 18 dressed for Varsity. Mountain Ridge had 27 or 28 dressed for Varsity.
  • Both teams had one or two players that didn't dress. I'm assuming due to injury but can't confirm that. Both also had one player go down due to injury during the scrimmage. Neither looked serious.
  • Southern's first team offense couldn't do anything against Mountain Ridge's first team defense. They did manage to score once in the 10-play series started from the MR 10-yard line though.
  • Mountain Ridge's first team offense did well against the Rams first team defense. They scored twice on the 10-play series from the 10. They also scored once and moved the ball well on the 10-play series started at their own 35-yard line.
  • Southern's offense did have some success during it's 10-play series started from midfield against the Mountain Ridge second team defense. Now when I say 2nd team defense I mean several players on the D-line and linebacker level were subbed in for this series. They scored twice and moved the ball well during this series.
  • Both teams had ball security issues. They both had three fumbles. Southern recovered all but one of their fumbles though. MR lost all three of their fumbles.
  • Southern QB (#5) has some nice running skills. He has great vision and elusiveness.
  • Both teams had a couple penalties. Not too many considering it was their first action against an opponent. Mountain Ridge did have more though and that in concerning because they have been prone to them over the past several years.
  • Ball security issues is concerning for Mountain Ridge. This has also been a significant issue for the Miners' in the past.
  • It should be noted that Mountain Ridge worked significantly on it's passing game during the second half of the scrimmage. They had a couple nice completions but overall it is in need of some work. Hopefully they can work on that against Boonsboro because they will need it if they hope to beat Fort Hill.
  • Neither team can afford any injuries to any of their key players. Mountain Ridge can't afford any injuries on the defensive line either.
  • Mountain Ridge shouldn't have any issues with the kicking game. Their kicker was nailing extra points straight down the middle with plenty of space to spare as well. One thing to keep an eye on is the snap on extra points and field goals. That was a bit of an issue during the scrimmage but the holder did a nice job on the bad snaps.
  • I didn't see Southern kick at all. I was a couple minutes late so they could of done it before they started their first series I suppose.
Look for a recap of the scrimmage later today or early tomorrow on the Mountain Ridge football site.
www.leaguelineup.com/minersfootball

Last edited:
Thanks for the Recap and observations. I was hoping someone would give an insight into how this scrimmage went.
You really couldn't ask for a better day to start off the high school football action (especially considering the weather we had last fall) than what we had yesterday morning for the Southern Rams and Mountain Ridge Miners scrimmage in Frostburg at Miners' Stadium.

• It was a little difficult to be 100% accurate (JV & Varsity scrimmaged on the same field) but this is my guest at numbers. Southern had 17 to 18 dressed for Varsity. Mountain Ridge had 27 or 28 dressed for Varsity.
  • Both teams had one or two players that didn't dress. I'm assuming due to injury but can't confirm that. Both also had one player go down due to injury during the scrimmage. Neither looked serious.
  • Southern's first team offense couldn't do anything against Mountain Ridge's first team defense. They did manage to score once in the 10-play series started from the MR 10-yard line though.
  • Mountain Ridge's first team offense did well against the Rams first team defense. They scored twice on the 10-play series from the 10. They also scored once and moved the ball well on the 10-play series started at their own 35-yard line.
  • Southern's offense did have some success during it's 10-play series started from midfield against the Mountain Ridge second team defense. Now when I say 2nd team defense I mean several players on the D-line and linebacker level were subbed in for this series. They scored twice and moved the ball well during this series.
  • Both teams had ball security issues. They both had three fumbles. Southern recovered all but one of their fumbles though. MR lost all three of their fumbles.
  • Southern QB (#5) has some nice running skills. He has great vision and elusiveness.
  • Both teams had a couple penalties. Not too many considering it was their first action against an opponent. Mountain Ridge did have more though and that in concerning because they have been prone to them over the past several years.
  • Ball security issues is concerning for Mountain Ridge. This has also been a significant issue for the Miners' in the past.
  • It should be noted that Mountain Ridge worked significantly on it's passing game during the second half of the scrimmage. They had a couple nice completions but overall it is in need of some work. Hopefully they can work on that against Boonsboro because they will need it if they hope to beat Fort Hill.
  • Neither team can afford any injuries to any of their key players. Mountain Ridge can't afford any injuries on the defensive line either.
  • Mountain Ridge shouldn't have any issues with the kicking game. Their kicker was nailing extra points straight down the middle with plenty of space to spare as well. One thing to keep an eye on is the snap on extra points and field goals. That was a bit of an issue during the scrimmage but the holder did a nice job on the bad snaps.
  • I didn't see Southern kick at all. I was a couple minutes late so they could of done it before they started their first series I suppose.
Look for a recap of the scrimmage later today or early tomorrow on the Mountain Ridge football site.

• It was a little difficult to be 100% accurate (JV & Varsity scrimmaged on the same field) but this is my best guess at numbers. Southern had 17 to 18 dressed for Varsity. Mountain Ridge had 27 or 28 dressed for Varsity.

I see the Miners are scrimmaging Boonsboro today. I have no idea how they can scrimmage at 3:30 with school being back in. I think the JV might start at 3:30 and varsity at 4:30. Is that way you have listed?

I see the Miners are scrimmaging Boonsboro today. I have no idea how they can scrimmage at 3:30 with school being back in. I think the JV might start at 3:30 and varsity at 4:30. Is that way you have listed?
The information sent to me by AD had 3:30pm listed. The Boonsboro one had always started at 6pm. Not sure there. I couldn't make it to it due to work. Glad I didnt try and move work around cause I thought in my head all along it was at 6 because it had always been 6 for the last several years.

ADVERTISEMENT