ADVERTISEMENT

Some comments then Coach Jack Gilmore's Top 50 Countdown

Sep 23, 2014
Everybody, I can honestly say this list has generated way more attention than I ever imagined it would. I would like to respond generally to some of the comments that have been made.

This list was done by my Dad as a way to thank all of the guys that made his successes, whatever they may be, as a football coach possible. We did a top 50, because this is Dad's 50th consecutive year involved in HS Football.

We said from the beginning of the announcement of this list, that our parameters were about how guys played on the football field, period. There are men on that list that have become Teachers, Doctors, Accountants, Nurses, Operating Engineers, Computer-Experts, Blue-Collar Workers, Retail Workers, Cooks, Bartenders and everything in-between. Some have not always followed the straight and narrow. Players personal successes and/or failures outside of the football field were not factors for this list. You can say we should have considered it, I understand that criticism, but we did not. If you do not agree with it, I understand. I am proud of this list, will defined how we created it, and I am happy to talk about it with you in person. I know Bleedred is going to seek me out this weekend and I truly look forward to meeting him. I invite anyone to come and talk football with Dad and me.

I want to thank Lags and the others for the spirited defense of my Dad. As you can imagine, my entire family is proud of the contribution my Dad made to this community. I will always zealously defend my Dad, because that is what a son is supposed to do for his father. I think the best thing I ever heard anyone write or say about my Dad and the job he did at Allegany was my friend (and CTN Sports Editor) Mike Burke, who wrote something to the effect that on 2 Separate Occasions, Jack took a job that others were scared to or would not take. I do not think my Dad is the greatest football coach in Cumberland history, though I do believe he would be on the Mt. Rushmore of Area Coaches. Most importantly, over his 50 years as a coach and a broadcaster, he has tried to act with passion, honor, integrity and class. There have been moments when one or more of those character traits may have waivered every now and again, but my Dad is proud of his career, and so is his entire family. He will end his career in HS Football with his head held high.

I want to thank the poster who referred to me as the "Young Gilmore". Someone pointed out to me it has been 20 years since I played for Allegany, and trust me, I feel that old. Again, anytime some has the word young and me together in a sentence, I am stoked beyond belief!!

All that being said, I want to remind everyone to come to Patrick's Pub this Saturday before the game so we can talk Homecoming 2014, the Top 50 list, and any other football memories you have. The Patrick's AYCE Buffet runs from 8-11. Jack and I will be on the air from 9-11 at Pat's. Come on down, eat, drink and talk football. We will be announcing Nos. 10-6 at Patrick's on our Top 50 Countdown, and the Top 5 at Halftime Saturday. Stop in or Tune in to Magic 100.5 This Saturday.

Thanks, Matt Gilmore (i.e. the Young Gilmore)
smile.r191677.gif

Here is the List, Nos. 11-50.

11. Larry Ferrens LB V

12. Steve Milburn RB A

13. Kevin Steele QB V

14. Marshall Oates OT A

15. Thad Michaels RB A

16. Kevin Krumpack OT V

17. Mark Kagley DL A

18. Tim Wharton CB A

19. Johnny Fields ATH A

20. Danny Bauer DB A

21. Brett Miller ATH A

22. Dave Krampf LB A

23. Jimmy O'Neal LB A

24. Eric Wetzel QB A

25. Joe Wolfe C A

26. PJ Yates DB A

27. Rick Jessie ATH A

28. Greg Harper CB A

29. Gary Athey G A

30. Toby White DL A

31. Joe Lewis LB V

32. Geno Taylor DB A

33. Bill Fouts RB/LB V

34. Gabe Darber LB A

35. Jason Chorpenning OT A

36. Brian Miller ATH A

37. Matt Cornelius DL A

38. Chris Ackerson DE A

39. Danny Duncan TE V

40. Joey Langam QB V

41. Bennett Strickland DB A

42. Jason Shook DB A

43. Dave Kline LB/G A

44. Dave Cassidy DE A

45. Bill Hunt WR V

46. Jamie Wilson RB A

47. Mike Bennett G A

48. Larry Johnson RB V

49. Mike Muir DL V

50. Eric Eisentrout OL A

You should be proud of your dad, he's not only quite a character (which the world needs more of), but also a proven winner in both life and on the Gridiron. From this Fort Hill fan, let me say that Jack was a formidable foe. Thanks for the list, and thank your dad for his contributions to Cumberland Area Football.....he's been a great radio personality as well.

This post was edited on 11/3 10:08 AM by PolkHighPride

Matt , is the list starting from '85 ? I think I might have read somewhere that the list is staring in '83. But I'm not sure.
There a few guys i'm thinking about that are easily in the top 10, depending on what year the list starts with.

Expert,

The list covers the period of time my Dad coached at a school. That would mean Valley from 1965-1983 and Allegany 1983-1994; 2002-2003.

From 1983 Eric Eisentrout, Dave Krampf and Jamie Wilson have already been named. There are still 10 more names to be announced, so stay tuned. I can tell you that the 1983-1984 teams are well represented, and rightfully so, they only went 21-1 over a 2 year period!

Thanks
Matt

I can beat both the Gilmores in a race to the Patricks Pub buffet. Eggs, bacon, sausage...no need for bread. And I have the gut to prove it
3dgrin.r191677.gif

You doing the low carb thing too Todd? I start back on mine tomorrow. Halloween hit me hard. Lol You know where I will be bright and early.

This post was edited on 11/3 1:48 PM by FortHillFan89

Hey Matt, Have you ever thought about following your fathers footsteps in becoming a Coach???

Camper 21502,

The answer to your question is very simple, absolutely not. The coaching in our family is left to Dad. I have a law practice and a daughter, and between the two, I am plenty busy, but thanks for asking.

Matt

Even as a FH fan, you really should reconsider; Bring some competition back for homecoming. Nobody will admit it, but the best homecoming games are the nail-biters. Although, the kids playing for Alco (all of them, not just the "stars") have really lifted up this team beyond expectations. With the right play-calling, this game could very well be an upset. (I hope not, but it is very possible.)

4R-Again, I appreciate your suggestion, but I know from experience that while a coach is easy to blame, that is hardly the sole, or even primary issue at Allegany. I think Tom and the coaching staff have worked hard, and the team has improved each week. That is a sign, at least to me, that Allegany is getting solid coaching.

I think the day is so much more entertaining when the teams are evenly matched. FH is on a great run of talent, and Coach Appel and his staff are pushing all the right buttons at this point in time. I hope all the FH fans appreciate how special this run is, because I can tell you, it does not happen very often.

On Saturday, I hope for good weather, a good game, and a chance to see some great friends.

We will be announcing the Top 10 on Homecoming.
Numbers 10-4 will be announced during our pre-game show at Patrick's Pub from 9-11 Saturday Morning.
The Top 3 will be announced on the air at Halftime.

Stop down at Pat's or tune in to 100.5 or connect via the internet at www.cumberlandsmagic.com

Thanks

Always loved the games Coach Gilmore would take a flag for the band being to rowdy,,not like that will happen now.

I want to congratulate both Allegany and Fort Hill's young men for an outstanding effort this past Homecoming. It was a great day, and a day to celebrate Cumberland. I thought the Allegany guys proudly represented themselves, their school, and all the old guys (like me) who once played there. I think FH is a perfect example of the adage, "Good Teams Create Their Own Luck". FH forced mistakes and capitalized on those mistakes. I thought the FH Defense was great.

Below are the Top 10 players of Jack Gilmore's top 50 countdown. Both Dad and I continue to be amazed by how much interest the Top 50 countdown generated. I must have been stopped by 20 people on Saturday asking me who was in the top 10?,who was #1? Or, I just to say how cool they thought the list was.

All I will say about these 10 guys, is that they were all iconic players at Allegany/Valley. When ultimately picking Scott #1, Dad's thought process was, "If I could take any 1 of my former players to start a team around, it would be Scott Bauer." So, I hope you all enjoyed Jack's Top 50 Countdown, it has been a wonderful way for Dad to celebrate all of this players, as he prepares to completely leave the stage of HS Football in Western Maryland.

1. Scott Bauer QB A

2. Shannon Stevens LB/G A

3. Randy Wolford DL A

4. Mike Lewis RB V

5. Mike Reid OT A

6. Danny Porter RB A

7. Michael Fields RB/DB A

8. Shawn Ricker TE A

9. Kirk Robinette RB/LB A

10. Chris Stewart ATH A

Love the list, and admittedly, that was a bit of a shocker with Scotty Bauer at #1. I like your dad's thought process there. I remember reading in a few books about the Rooney Family that the Steeler's teams of the 70's not just their Steel Curtain, were built around MeanJoe Greene.

I had Grover and Randy Wolford in the top 2, in fact, despite Grover's talent, actually gave the nod to Randy Wolford because of his college playing career. I probably would have had Michael Field's higher but wow, love the list, ou could build one heckuva team around these guys.

I like Bauer at #1 over Stevens although I bet alot of people would disagree. I also thought Fields would be higher or atleast crack the top 5... It would be cool if there were some honorable mentions listed, like maybe players that he considered putting on the bottom of the list but just fell short.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT