ADVERTISEMENT

Since Ravens Stadium now has a grass surface.....

Someone can feel free to correct me if they know better, but I believe the answer is "for now."

The only HS events the Ravens specifically committed to keeping in the stadium were the City-Poly and Calvert Hall-Loyola rivalry games:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...-Stadium/46d32170-a754-4201-ae6e-649bffa3959d

"Cass also said the Ravens are not anticipating eliminating any events they host at the stadium. While there will be concern about the field being torn up, measures will be taken to prevent damage and the Ravens aren’t willing to sacrifice those events.

“We’ll still have concerts, we’ll still have international soccer, we’ll have Army-Navy football next year, and we’ll try to attract other major college football games,” Cass said. “We will still host the two traditional Baltimore City [high school] games.”"

I can see them asking the state championship games to move if 4 games in 3 days tears the field up too much for them to manage.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Andy Warner of the MPSSAA attended a District 8 end of season banquet and actually spoke on that topic. He announced that the Football State Finals will NOT be at Ravens Stadium due to the natural grass field.

He listed 4 possible sites are being considered.
Maryland
Towson
Navy
Morgan

Personally I don't think that moving the game is a bad thing. I have always felt that the State Championships, and even the semis should be played at a college field. While any of the four venues above would be great for a championship game, a State Semi would be a great way for a Dll or lll school to get some instate kids on their campus. I'd think that schools would be lining up to host these events.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Probably wouldn't be paying $4.00 for literally [1] cup of hot chocolate either. I'm sure most people would agree with "bleedred"'s statement, I sure do.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
The MPSSAA website shows the dates but has the venue as TBA.

I personally think Towson (11,000) and Morgan State (10,000) have the perfect size stadiums for the finals. It was nice for the kids to get to play at an NFL stadium but from an atmosphere standpoint, I was not a big fan. At least at Towson or Morgan, you wont be playing in front of a 1/10 filled stadium.

Between Towson and Morgan the decision would likely be to hold the finals at Morgan State. If Towson winds up hosting a playoff game it would probably fall on state championship weekend. Regardless of Morgan State's success their conference alongside the other HBCU FCS conference the SWAC opted out of the FCS playoffs to have their champions play in the Celebration Bowl on ABC, a de facto Black National Championship game, so Hughes Stadium would be available no matter what that weekend.

Reactions: towpath94
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT