ADVERTISEMENT

Shepherd and Frostburg State Football

That is very interesting news indeed. Would be good to see two local schools continue to move forward with their football programs.

This would be big for area kids... they'd get an opportunity to play scholarship football at home. It's weird how the state of MD, while obviously much larger than WV, never had any D2 programs (except Bowie State) because they always wanted all the attention, resources, recruits, etc. to be funneled directly to the Terps without distraction.

Since that plan hasn't really worked out for Maryland, why not open it up? Frostburg and Salisbury would both have a good chance to be successful at the D2 level.

The main reason Shepherd has kinda always been the king of the West Virginia D2 conference (now MEC) is due to their location. It's a much easier sell to get kids from MD, VA, DC, Central/Eastern PA, etc. to go to Shepherdstown a couple of hours away rather than have to drive 5-8 hours into deep WV to Glenville, Concord, etc.

MEC great conference in all sports. Had 2 kids play hoops in the that conference, think it would be great move for Frostburg.

I think moving to D2 will be good for Frostburg overall. Certainly football can get a boost by being able to offer scholarships. Biggest downside is losing longtime rival Salisbury and some sports like basketball will continue to take their lumps unless more investment happens. Frostburg joins Bowie St as the only D2 schools in MD.

I think it’s great for Frostburg. I think it hurts area kids. Look at football and baseball rosters for example, hardly any local kids now. With Frostburg now getting scholarship money I believe they will not go after much local talent, and there is some talent. Just my opinion, I hope I’m wrong!

For decades local athletes have chosen to go elsewhere when it came to Frostburg State. There has existed this mentality that it is better to go to other D3 locations and play ball...to get out of Dodge so to speak. The reverse will now be true...Frostburg State will rarely be chasing after local athletes unless they are top tier.

I'm excited for this to happen at Frostburg State but I wish they would play more night games on Saturday Nights instead of game at Noon and 1 PM
Also excited in BW Basketball, hopefully they play some big time schools, wish Alco and FH would of combined and would be able to play better teams, I would love to see them together and playing Morgantown, Martinsburg and Teams Like Middletown
Money is what usually makes these things happen and it looks like this is what finally happened at FSU, Cumberland an Allegany County have always had a hard time looking into the future and the decline in population, you still have Local Politicians saying that Allegany County will see an increase in Population and I don't see that unless they force Refugees to come to Cumberland. smh

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Last yr. all of there home games were free. I wonder with this move if there will be admission?

Last yr. all of there home games were free. I wonder with this move if there will be admission?

I think you're going to see a lot of changes up there. I was talking to one of their coaches and evidently the new school President worked at Clemson for a long time and he wants to bring some of that "big-time" athletic feel to FSU.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
There are often attendance requirements for sports to meet before they can move up a division. This may of had something to do with that, though I am not sure if Div. II has that requirement.

I think you're going to see a lot of changes up there. I was talking to one of their coaches and evidently the new school President worked at Clemson for a long time and he wants to bring some of that "big-time" athletic feel to FSU.

Yup, 20 years a psych professor there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT