ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule difficulty reality

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
FH used 10 sophomores tonight. 8 of them fulltime, 2 part time. Understand that all area teams are forced to play underclassmen. But not against the likes of Dunbar, Briar Woods and a team from NY.

Most of the knowledgeable folks in FH country called a 6-3 season with a title run. The schedule is too difficult to use half your JV team and win out. Switch up and play any other area schedule and FH likely runs the table. I personally don't believe area teams would find success vs. Hollidaysburg.

Fans want tough schedules for FH. Well you got it. This wasn't the year to load up but they did. The hopes were/are that the schedule plays huge dividends in the post season.

Granted this FH is extremely one dimensional. The OL is so young and inexperienced that the goal since Aug 12 was to master a very small handful of plays. Anything beyond that was a challenge against good teams.

Is that why Shook called full back traps on 90% of FH 1st downs? Is that Shook keeping it simple?
BW's coach took Mr. Alkire behind the woodshed tonight. BW's coach put on a coaching clinic tonight.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Is that why Shook called full back traps on 90% of FH 1st downs? Is that Shook keeping it simple?
BW's coach took Mr. Alkire behind the woodshed tonight. BW's coach put on a coaching clinic tonight.
Would say the opposite last year. The only running game for BW tonight was a 6'2 QB. I'm not defending the FH coaching staff. It wasn't pretty all around.

Can't give the ball to BW inside the 40 on three occasions in the 1st half. 2 turnovers and another on downs. Punt the damn football when the OL can't block.

Would say the opposite last year. The only running game for BW tonight was a 6'2 QB. I'm not defending the FH coaching staff. It wasn't pretty all around.

Can't give the ball to BW inside the 40 on three occasions in the 1st half. 2 turnovers and another on downs. Punt the damn football when the OL can't block.

I'm still scratching my head over going for it on 4th down on your own 37. That basically gave BW both their first half scores.

Todd,
Any thoughts on how the playoff picture may shake out or is it too early to tell
?

I'm still scratching my head over going for it on 4th down on your own 37. That basically gave BW both their first half scores.
Alkire's thought process was either our offense is good enough to get 2 yards or it was we cannot give the back to BW because we can't stop them.

Fort Hill's play calling the 2nd half went something like this: fullback trap for 3 yards, fullback trap and lose a yard, crap pants, repeat.

Reactions: FHHSAHS and Tony54
FH used 10 sophomores tonight. 8 of them fulltime, 2 part time. Understand that all area teams are forced to play underclassmen. But not against the likes of Dunbar, Briar Woods and a team from NY.

Most of the knowledgeable folks in FH country called a 6-3 season with a title run. The schedule is too difficult to use half your JV team and win out. Switch up and play any other area schedule and FH likely runs the table. I personally don't believe area teams would find success vs. Hollidaysburg.

Fans want tough schedules for FH. Well you got it. This wasn't the year to load up but they did. The hopes were/are that the schedule plays huge dividends in the post season.
Todd. I would love to get your opinion on the jv team. They are only 1 and 3. I realize that 10 of the players are on varsity but every roster I’ve looked at has that many kids. Hollidaysburg gave them a shelacking and they had more than 10 players on varsity. Could we be witnessing the end of Ft Hills dominance

What really bothers me right now is that I've seen at least two starters commenting negatively on Facebook about the coaches. I'm not naming names, but they both have been mentioned in these discussions threads at some point. They need to be reminded where the bench is if they don't knock that crap off. I don't care how good they are.

Todd. I would love to get your opinion on the jv team. They are only 1 and 3. I realize that 10 of the players are on varsity but every roster I’ve looked at has that many kids. Hollidaysburg gave them a shelacking and they had more than 10 players on varsity. Could we be witnessing the end of Ft Hills dominance
Hahahaha, no. Repeating my thoughts from August - FH may go 6-3 or even 5-4 with this schedule and 9 seniors on the roster. I also predicted back in August - FH is still the favorite to win a 1A state title. If so, they will go on to win 7 in a row. The 9, 10, 11 grade classes are loaded with numbers and talent. They are just all split up.

In answer to your question about the JV, FH fielded a full time freshman team this season for the first time since 2019. So not only are ten JV starters moved to varsity for FH, they also do not have a single 9th grader moved up to JV. Hollidaysburg has a competitive 9th grade team and the undefeated FH freshmen dominated them 36-16. The decision to split into freshman and JV was a development decision to get players that normally are not getting playing time to getting them full time action. Coaches were not concerned about the won/loss records from that decision.

It's obvious the FH contingent is in panic and finger pointing mode after already losing two varsity games. Cutting to the chase...this 2024 team does not have the horses or remotely have the experience to run the table against a schedule like this. This is the toughest schedule in a 100 mile radius including Martinsburg. If fans wish to swap out this schedule with other area teams and run a gauntlet of Moorefield, Hampshire, Weir, Northern and Mtn Ridge -- be my guest and feel free to make comparisons while sitting in the stands bored from the results.

Again, when I look out on the field and see six sophomores lined up on defense before the ball is snapped, no that isn't going to work against Dunbar and Briar Woods. So what we will do to accommodate fans comprehension is next season replace Briar Woods and the team from NY with other 1A programs and see what the win/loss record looks like. If we can't find other 1A programs then just pay MATHS, Silver Oak and Capital Christian. Then we can all be happy for never losing.

Hahahaha, no. Repeating my thoughts from August - FH may go 6-3 or even 5-4 with this schedule and 9 seniors on the roster. I also predicted back in August - FH is still the favorite to win a 1A state title. If so, they will go on to win 7 in a row. The 9, 10, 11 grade classes are loaded with numbers and talent. They are just all split up.

In answer to your question about the JV, FH fielded a full time freshman team this season for the first time since 2019. So not only are ten JV starters moved to varsity for FH, they also do not have a single 9th grader moved up to JV. Hollidaysburg has a competitive 9th grade team and the undefeated FH freshmen dominated them 36-16. The decision to split into freshman and JV was a development decision to get players that normally are not getting playing time to getting them full time action. Coaches were not concerned about the won/loss records from that decision.

It's obvious the FH contingent is in panic and finger pointing mode after already losing two varsity games. Cutting to the chase...this 2024 team does not have the horses or remotely have the experience to run the table against a schedule like this. This is the toughest schedule in a 100 mile radius including Martinsburg. If fans wish to swap out this schedule with other area teams and run a gauntlet of Moorefield, Hampshire, Weir, Northern and Mtn Ridge -- be my guest and feel free to make comparisons while sitting in the stands bored from the results.

Again, when I look out on the field and see six sophomores lined up on defense before the ball is snapped, no that isn't going to work against Dunbar and Briar Woods. So what we will do to accommodate fans comprehension is next season replace Briar Woods and the team from NY with other 1A programs and see what the win/loss record looks like. If we can't find other 1A programs then just pay MATHS, Silver Oak and Capital Christian. Then we can all be happy for never losing.
Please don’t🤣. I really appreciate a competitive schedule. I hated watching Carrick, Maths and Green Street coming into the stadium. I was just concerned. I appreciate your knowledge on the subject.

Now. Can you teach the coaches to implement a short passing game when running up the middle won’t work.

All dynasty’s have their down times eventually. We all knew this would be a development year with these young but talented players. It does bother me, though, that some kids are being negative online about the very same coaches who got them to the title more than once. I mean, come on, have some faith and dance with who brought you. They have to remember that losing, as much as it stinks, builds character. I think 5-4 is going to be their best scenario, assuming they defeat Ridge and Alco.

Reactions: Dwj21
Please don’t🤣. I really appreciate a competitive schedule. I hated watching Carrick, Maths and Green Street coming into the stadium. I was just concerned. I appreciate your knowledge on the subject.

Now. Can you teach the coaches to implement a short passing game when running up the middle won’t work.
The lack of passing come from no trust in the QB and no trust in the O-line not to commit holding in my opinion. It seems like Everytime FH runs a quick out or swing pass it’s either intercepted of called back for holding. The coaching staff has shown they are willing to open up the play book in previous years but it seems like there’s just no trust in anyone this year.

Reactions: Tony54 and Argox66
Fans ask for a tougher schedule, but really don't understand what they are asking.

My main concern vs. Briar Woods was the lack of blocking. The OL struggled, the backs struggled even worse. Stated the same thing two years ago in Frostburg. Running backs standing around watching their guy make the tackle. Show me a RB that wants to block and he starts the next game.

I see players doing whatever they wish on the field (undisciplined). Likely due to so much youth. The secondary was out of place constantly with a QB throwing fast balls.

The FH passing game is lacking receivers running good routes, mobility behind center, and a lack of consistent protection up front. When you're only throwing 4 passes and one or two wind up being intercepted, it's easy to decide not to throw the ball. Especially when the receivers are blanketed. The only way around it is play action and throw when it's not 3rd and long. But in terms of throwing the ball ten times a game - not. Never really do on the Hill. This team reminds me of a much younger 2022 team. Had that team played this schedule they would be 3-2 right now. Schedule matters.

As for QB - not sure why coaches are bringing in another QB cold off the bench for obvious passing downs. #11 gets very few reps here all season, so to expect him to get 4 snaps a game in crucial situations and be successful isn't logical. There seems to be very little confidence in who the true starters are at most positions. Not sure how many linebackers played Friday, but none seemed like an answer.

Last edited:
When I talk about passing the ball. I’m talking about passing with the purpose of loosing up the run game. Like bubble screen passes and swing outs. Any middle school team can learn how to execute these passes if you drill them enough.

Reactions: 4R341
I’ve seen it too and one of them is a fumbler
This kid hasn't progressed at all. As a matter of fact I think he's taken a step back. He has a connection somewhere on that coaching staff. Anytime this sort of nonsense is going on and you wonder how a kid is even on the field you can always trace it back to some sort of shenanigans with a father, an uncle, a brother in law...some shady crap.

This kid hasn't progressed at all. As a matter of fact I think he's taken a step back. He has a connection somewhere on that coaching staff. Anytime this sort of nonsense is going on and you wonder how a kid is even on the field you can always trace it back to some sort of shenanigans with a father, an uncle, a brother in law...some shady crap.
I was at the game. I’ll say this… the young man at QB isn’t bad at all! Number 1 the play calling was horrible! The coaching staff has no imagination. Against Northern you can get away with RRP. Against a team like BW you can’t. They had a big line and were well coached. Number 2 the route running is sh*t. Get with it coaches!! #8 is a solid game manager and his arm is more than adequate! He will be a state champion!

I was at the game. I’ll say this… the young man at QB isn’t bad at all! Number 1 the play calling was horrible! The coaching staff has no imagination. Against Northern you can get away with RRP. Against a team like BW you can’t. They had a big line and were well coached. Number 2 the route running is sh*t. Get with it coaches!! #8 is a solid game manager and his arm is more than adequate! He will be a state champion!
That's why a difficult schedule forces you to learn. Fans wanted a tougher schedule. The coaches have been receptive to a tougher schedule. But it's funny watching those people who asked for it complain about not winning every game. FH is 1-6 all time vs Dunbar. Yet they put them on the schedule with the youngest team in school history. At one point Friday, FH had 6 sophomores on defense against a good team with 1800 kids in the school. We will see what it yields against 1A competition.

That's why a difficult schedule forces you to learn. Fans wanted a tougher schedule. The coaches have been receptive to a tougher schedule. But it's funny watching those people who asked for it complain about not winning every game. FH is 1-6 all time vs Dunbar. Yet they put them on the schedule with the youngest team in school history. At one point Friday, FH had 6 sophomores on defense against a good team with 1800 kids in the school. We will see what it yields against 1A competition.
Most likely Fort Hill will win the state championship again. Why not try to be the very best version of yourself. If teams are going to stack the box just at least have a short screen game..

Let’s be honest about it though. State titles meant more when there were 4 classes. I got a pedicure last year during the title game. Game just wasn’t going to be close. Shame FH didn’t play Dunbar last year.

This was posted by mdhsfbfan on the MOCO board. Echoes what Todd's been saying.....

"There's no reason to avoid good teams under this format. Smart coaches are scheduling teams that can beat them so they can expose their weaknesses early and fix problems long before losing matters.

When I see top teams continue to schedule cream puffs for their open dates, I know it's a coach with way too much pride. It's fun rolling over bad teams and riding the hype train but it does nothing to make you better.

This loss means precisely nothing for Fort Hill and it will certainly help them improve."

You are right. The coaches at Fort Hill have taken a very young team and tacked on four very tough games into a nine-game schedule. It may cost them a home game or two down the road, but they won't see this level of competition the rest of the year. Think about it, 1A last year had several teams who were 7-2 or better, and pounding their chests, only to get knocked off in the first two rounds. With everyone getting a shot in the playoffs, it's not where you are in Sept, Oct, or Nov., it's whether you are playing in December that matters.

Reactions: Tony54
You are right. The coaches at Fort Hill have taken a very young team and tacked on four very tough games into a nine-game schedule. It may cost them a home game or two down the road, but they won't see this level of competition the rest of the year. Think about it, 1A last year had several teams who were 7-2 or better, and pounding their chests, only to get knocked off in the first two rounds. With everyone getting a shot in the playoffs, it's not where you are in Sept, Oct, or Nov., it's whether you are playing in December that matters.
Stone Bridge started out 1-4 last year with that philosophy and made it to the state championship game. Jury is out if the same thing happens this year after an 0-5 start. BW will have big say in that.

Last edited:
All dynasty’s have their down times eventually. We all knew this would be a development year with these young but talented players. It does bother me, though, that some kids are being negative online about the very same coaches who got them to the title more than once. I mean, come on, have some faith and dance with who brought you. They have to remember that losing, as much as it stinks, builds character. I think 5-4 is going to be their best scenario, assuming they defeat Ridge and Alco.
Who are they losing to? The NY team and then who? Smithsburg? Nope. They will finish 6-3 or possibly 7-2.

Another big, athletic line against a smaller, less talented one. If FH pounds it up the middle 90% of the time, this game won't be close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT