ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Realities - National Signing Day

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
I found this meme floating around social media and felt the need to share it.

recruiting_grades.jpg

Yesterday (Feb 5) was National Signing Day (NSD) for football players headed to college. We now have two of those dates actually with early signing period long over before the holidays.

I have spent nearly 15 years trying to help high school football student-athletes get money for college. Not so much these last few years because it has become a load trying to help kids and their parents understand what it takes. There has never been a NSD go by without me having at least two top level high school senior football players that were worthy of getting school paid for or at least a good chunk of it. But when I ask them come January how they scored on their SAT I always get "I have not taken it yet but I plan on it." -- I cannot help those kids anymore.

98% of the kids I work with are only capable of playing D2, D3 or NAIA level ball. They can get money for it -- but most of them don't understand what that entails when it comes to grades and SAT/ACT scores while dealing with the ego buster of not getting looks from the big time universities.

Three things I have learned that make it difficult for me to help anymore:

1. Having to tell kids and their parents they are not good enough to play at WVU, Maryland, Penn State, etc. It has caused me grief because of their self-belief he should be able to compete at that level. Nothing new there really. But it's gotten worse. The kids and parents get so discouraged when big time schools show no interest. It's a reality check to self-entitlement.

2. I cannot be the person that looks over an athlete's shoulder continually badgering them about not just taking the SAT/ACT multiple times, but to prepare for it. IT NEVER FAILS every year to see kids miss the boat because of ignoring these things.The way I see it, if you are not willing to do the things required academically, then college is not for you anyway. I was 18 once so I do get it. I'm just lucky to have parents that pushed me to do those things.

3. College coaches have become limited and lazy. Not all obviously. But the resources dedicated to recruiting at many non-D1 level schools is so low that college coaches are only going to work with high schools and high school coaches they always work with or kids they have been talking to for a long time. So if the student-athlete isn't going to make contact with D2 and D3 coaches in the off season, don't waste your time come December. I can no longer go to a coach and say "Hey, here is this 6'7, 285 pound senior tackle that is going to be an All-Conference player for you down the road." Then get a reply that says, "Meh, I don't know that kid."

There is nothing worse in recruiting then seeing a senior football player crash the D2 and D3 level coaches after the season is over. They get told this as sophomores, but they end up having to find out for themselves the hard way.

Last edited:
I found this meme floating around social media and felt the need to share it.

recruiting_grades.jpg

Yesterday (Feb 5) was National Signing Day (NSD) for football players headed to college. We now have two of those dates actually with early signing period long over before the holidays.

I have spent nearly 15 years trying to help high school football student-athletes get money for college. Not so much these last few years because it has become a load trying to help kids and their parents understand what it takes. There has never been a NSD go by without me having at least two top level high school senior football players that were worthy of getting school paid for or at least a good chunk of it. But when I ask them come January how they scored on their SAT I always get "I have not taken it yet but I plan on it." -- I cannot help those kids anymore.

98% of the kids I work with are only capable of playing D2, D3 or NAIA level ball. They can get money for it -- but most of them don't understand what that entails when it comes to grades and SAT/ACT scores and not getting looks from the big time universities.

Three things I have learned that make it difficult for me to help anymore:

1. Having to tell kids and their parents they are not good enough to play at WVU, Maryland, Penn State, etc. It has caused me grief because of the self-belief they or their son should be able to compete at that level. Nothing new there really. But it's gotten worse. The kids and parents get so discouraged when big time schools show no interest. It's a reality check to self-entitlement.

2. I cannot be the person that looks over an athlete's shoulder continually badgering them about not just taking the SAT/ACT multiple times, but to prepare for it. I NEVER FAILS every year to see kids miss the boat because of ignoring these things.The way I see it, if you are not willing to do the things required academically, then college is not for you anyway. I was 18 once so I do get it. I'm just lucky to have parents that pushed me to do those things.

3. College coaches have become limited and lazy. Not all obviously. But the resources dedicated to recruiting at many non-D1 level schools is so low that college coaches are only going to work with high schools and high school coaches they always work with or kids they have been talking to for a long time. So if the student-athlete isn't going to make contact with D2 and D3 coaches in the off season, don't waste your time come December. I can no longer go to a coach and say "Hey, here is this 6'7, 285 pound senior tackle that is going to be an All-Conference player for you down the road." Then get a reply that says, "Meh, I don't know that kid."

I was the first in my family to go to college. My parents didn't push me. I had teachers at Allegany that inspired me. Coaches can help, but it takes an academic 'community' effort. Not only that, but there is a myth about lack of self esteem among the young.... actually, they have too much undeserved self esteem. They need a bath of reality and in that thorough rinsing is 'academics first', always. My favorite line to my sons was, "85 years is too long to be poor."

The biggest difference I noticed after leaving this area was the community support. Things may have changed with time in Western Md but "Good athletes with bad grades" got the help and support they needed in the dc/baltimore metro area. I couldn't believe all the help and support kids got. From tutors to SAT prep courses to caring teachers, coaches, and community members. I always got the impression in Western MD that after football season everyone was finished with you and they couldn't care less whether or not you went to college let alone succeeded in life. This was especially so with the minority athletes. If a good athlete fell through the cracks it wasn't because of the support system in those areas its more or so on the kid. I wish the same could be said for western md where it seems to be vice versa. Its been said before on this message board that certain coaches have said it not the goal to get kids into college. I don't know how true that statement is but I can see people in this area with that mentality. All this is based on my experience and observations. I'm sure others have a different perception but it doesn't negate mine.

Last edited:
Sadly, support is there for many high school student-athletes when it comes to academics but the student and his/her parents rarely make use of it. This is what a HS guidance counselor is for among other people. My biggest problem trying to help was that I had to become more of an academic advisor than an athletic recruiting source. Most people don't have the time to both. I finally came to the conclusion that I will help you the first time down the path...taking the SAT/ACT and doing better with school work...but then it's on you and your parents. Well, that rarely worked. But there are plenty of resources that are actually free that can help. The problem is teenage students have to be pushed most of the time to follow through academically. I was a teenager, I know how most want to spend their time. Thank goodness I didn't have cell phones or social media back then.

Also note, D1 doesn't work the same. The highest level recruits don't have the same path to take. It's a full ride and meeting the NCAA eligibility requirements. Yes, they still have put forth the effort, but the athlete who is not a D1 level player has to do 4 times the work.

That's a welcome surprise to hear that times have changed in Allegany county. My experience was if you didn't have a strong and stable family dynamic you were pretty much left to fend for yourself.

You mention, "This is what a HS guidance counselor is for among other people."

Funny you mention that. I distinctly remember the Allegany county athletic director at the time telling me that I would never get to play quarterback at FH bc the F club amongst others were racist and wouldn't allow a black to play that position... And he was right . Just to show you how helpful the teaching staff and community were at the time. Just imagine what that does to a kid's pysche.

We actually got through some interesting exchanges in a couple threads concerning scholarships and transfers without massive attacks. Then... comes racism. Worse than politics. So, how about folks go ahead and hijack Helmick's thread and relate all their racist experiences at both schools. Get it out of your system. I'm sure Ty Johnson wanted to play quarterback but just wasn't allowed to. Now we know why FH never had that passing attack... all those Lamar Jackson's were denied the position.

That's a welcome surprise to hear that times have changed in Allegany county. My experience was if you didn't have a strong and stable family dynamic you were pretty much left to fend for yourself.

Funny you mention that. I distinctly remember the Allegany county athletic director at the time telling me that I would never get to play quarterback at FH bc the F club amongst others were racist and wouldn't allow a black to play that position... And he was right . Just to show you how helpful the teaching staff and community were at the time. Just imagine what that does to a kid's pysche.

Well I'm not a black man so it would not be fair for me to speak as I have no personal experience. But the head coaches never let the F Club determine who plays where that I ever heard of. In fact, my two head coaches (Jim Chaney and Dick Bittner) hated the F Club. Of course they always accepted the donated money. The only year in FH history they ever had black in the uniform was 1982-83 under Chaney. Those were some of my years and Coach Chaney told me directly that he intentionally put the black stripes in the uniform to piss off the F Club. I can't make that up, seriously that is a true story. I still have my jersey somewhere.

Darnell Powell (RIP) played QB for my team as a frosh and JV. He was pretty good too. #22 -- always called himself D-Light. I always liked Darnell personally and it was hard to see him suffer the last few years in his bout with cancer. Was always on the ambulance fence at Greenway with his chair to watch his son play for FH.

Last edited:
Well I'm not a black man so it would not be fair for me to speak as I have no personal experience. But the head coaches never let the F Club determine who plays where that I ever heard of. In fact, my two head coaches (Jim Chaney and Dick Bittner) hated the F Club. Of course they always accepted the donated money. The only year in FH history they ever had black in the uniform was 1982-83 under Chaney. Those were some of my years and Coach Chaney told me directly that he intentionally put the black stripes in the uniform to piss off the F Club. I can't make that up, seriously that is a true story. I still have my jersey somewhere.

Darnell Powell (RIP) played QB for my team as a frosh and JV. He was pretty good too. #22 -- always called himself D-Light. I always liked Darnell personally and it was hard to see him suffer the last few years in his bout with cancer. Was always on the ambulance fence at Greenway with his chair to watch his son play for FH.

I can appreciate your personal experience. I have no intimate knowledge of how the coaches decided who played where because i never sat in on any coaches meetings or meetings between f club members and the coaches. Im just relaying a personal experience that was directly told to me by the Allegany County Athletic director. Who was a county administrator and official in relation to "getting help from your guidance counselor" remark..

Last edited:
There is another perspective:

"If you wanna get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library” - Frank Zappa

Interesting because I have a cousin who played for his high school football team in Norfolk. They told him his whole career he couldn't play running back because he was white. Sad to know racism exists wherever we care to dig.

Interesting because I have a cousin who played for his high school football team in Norfolk. They told him his whole career he couldn't play running back because he was white. Sad to know racism exists wherever we care to dig.
Sad to see you're still capable of nothing but screaming "both sides!" over and over. People really need to stop being programmed by cable news.

Reactions: bigsavage

Of course race and sports is always a touchy topic, and like Lag responded, most of the time people don't want to deal with it because it can be uncomfortable to discuss. But it is talked about in the black community. For example people were disappointed that Brayden Brown didn't get an opportunity to play QB at FH. And both of Darnell's sons were QB's until they got to FH. The same thing has happened at Alco too over the years. I'm sure people are going to say those players weren't good enough to play QB for various reasons. But I will say that whether it's true or false it is a topic of discussion in the black community.

The biggest difference I noticed after leaving this area was the community support. Things may have changed with time in Western Md but "Good athletes with bad grades" got the help and support they needed in the dc/baltimore metro area. I couldn't believe all the help and support kids got. From tutors to SAT prep courses to caring teachers, coaches, and community members. I always got the impression in Western MD that after football season everyone was finished with you and they couldn't care less whether or not you went to college let alone succeeded in life. This was especially so with the minority athletes. If a good athlete fell through the cracks it wasn't because of the support system in those areas its more or so on the kid. I wish the same could be said for western md where it seems to be vice versa. Its been said before on this message board that certain coaches have said it not the goal to get kids into college. I don't know how true that statement is but I can see people in this area with that mentality. All this is based on my experience and observations. I'm sure others have a different perception but it doesn't negate mine.

I have said this several times before. The schools downstate that get a lot of scholarships for their players is because they work hard at it and have a system. It's not an accident. The high school my kids attend is constantly pushing prep courses and academic reinforcement for the players beginning in 9th grade. If you wait until 11th and 12th grade it can be too late. Pushing the kids to make application deadlines and get their "film" to college coaches is constantly emphasized. And it's a program wide philosophy, coaches, AD, teachers and parents. Even on the twitter account for the athletic department, which is how a lot of kids get their information these days, they are talking about academic reinforcement and application deadlines even in the offseason.

Not that it negates the argument of race vs playing position, but FH had a black starting QB in 2009. Personally, I always thought it was more about just an overall average of the number of African-American players on the team vs where they fit based on playing ability. I'm not narrow minded enough to think that racial prejudice doesn't exist. But when you have a 45 man roster and 2 or 3 black kids, the probability that one of those 2 or 3 will be the starting QB is pretty low to begin with.

The other argument is, as much as we all consider the QB a premier position, in a run heavy wing-T offense (especially the variation that FH runs) the QB is more focused on play calling, setting the formation, selling the fake, handing the ball to someone else and the occasional waggle run. While I think it would've have been fun to watch Brayden Brown or Tyreke Powell run wildcat or have some ability to use their athleticism from the snap more often, I think they both, especially Brown (from a yardage and TD standpoint) were used pretty effectively and to their best advantage. And they both won championships with their teams (and were pretty instrumental in making that happen). One could surmise that some of the best athletes, who happened to be black (not *because* they are black), were positioned pretty well on their respective teams.

I dont disagree it's a discussion that is important to have, but at face value, in a predominantly white area, the absence of one of the few black kids on the team not being QB isn't the whole story. This is totally conjecture from my memory - but over the last, say 10 years, very few of the African American players were spending most of their time on the bench. At least not as seniors. That feels accurate to say, at least.

Now if there was a 45 man roster and a handful of black kids who never saw any playing time, I'd be pretty concerned about that.

Not that it negates the argument of race vs playing position, but FH had a black starting QB in 2009. Personally, I always thought it was more about just an overall average of the number of African-American players on the team vs where they fit based on playing ability. I'm not narrow minded enough to think that racial prejudice doesn't exist. But when you have a 45 man roster and 2 or 3 black kids, the probability that one of those 2 or 3 will be the starting QB is pretty low to begin with.

The other argument is, as much as we all consider the QB a premier position, in a run heavy wing-T offense (especially the variation that FH runs) the QB is more focused on play calling, setting the formation, selling the fake, handing the ball to someone else and the occasional waggle run. While I think it would've have been fun to watch Brayden Brown or Tyreke Powell run wildcat or have some ability to use their athleticism from the snap more often, I think they both, especially Brown (from a yardage and TD standpoint) were used pretty effectively and to their best advantage. And they both won championships with their teams (and were pretty instrumental in making that happen). One could surmise that some of the best athletes, who happened to be black (not *because* they are black), were positioned pretty well on their respective teams.

I dont disagree it's a discussion that is important to have, but at face value, in a predominantly white area, the absence of one of the few black kids on the team not being QB isn't the whole story. This is totally conjecture from my memory - but over the last, say 10 years, very few of the African American players were spending most of their time on the bench. At least not as seniors. That feels accurate to say, at least.

Now if there was a 45 man roster and a handful of black kids who never saw any playing time, I'd be pretty concerned about that.

You make excellent points. I'm just stating the conversations that frequently take place. For example, this year it seemed odd the Metz kid was getting recruited by several colleges and didn't start a lot of the games. One person on this board even mentioned it several times.

There has been some serious chatter about Stubbs playing QB next fall for FH. He took several snaps there in a game or two last fall and even threw a couple of passes. My take on that is that Stubbs is probably the fastest player in the area if not further. If FH is going to do what they do out of the wing t then he would be wasted at QB. If the QB is going to just hand the ball off per usual you don't want Stubbs there. Now if there is some kind of Grand idea by the coaches to start running out of shot gun or some read option then I could see it.

But as far as being black having something to do with it makes people who say so hateful people and Coach Appel would be considered a racist. If you know him that is hilarious. Same with Mike Calhoun when he coached.

To be clear, I don't believe that about Appel and I would never say or imply that.

But since this is began as a recruiting conversation, wouldn't it have made sense to do everything possible to highlight a player that is being recruited? Especially in those games you knew were going to be blowouts. Why not give the player every opportunity to put something on tape for the colleges to look at?

You make excellent points. I'm just stating the conversations that frequently take place. For example, this year it seemed odd the Metz kid was getting recruited by several colleges and didn't start a lot of the games. One person on this board even mentioned it several times.

Speaking of Metz, did he sign with anyone?
I saw Danny King and the See kid from Keyser signed with WVU but anyone else from the area going to the next level?

Speaking of Metz, did he sign with anyone?
I saw Danny King and the See kid from Keyser signed with WVU but anyone else from the area going to the next level?

He hasn't signed yet, but he has several offers (REAL OFFERS) on the table. This weekend he's trying out for the Big 33 game. Nobody told me this but I assume he's hoping an appearance in that game could spark interest from a few more schools.

Reactions: 5punisher3
He hasn't signed yet, but he has several offers (REAL OFFERS) on the table. This weekend he's trying out for the Big 33 game. Nobody told me this but I assume he's hoping an appearance in that game could spark interest from a few more schools.
He's raw but has good size

Reactions: BoyznBlue
He's raw but has good size

Versatile and athletic, and like you said raw. With his potential it would make sense for a school to take a chance and redshirt him for a year and see how he develops. Maryland had him on campus for an unofficial in August, no offer. I'm sure it didn't help when the season began and he wasn't starting.

Versatile and athletic, and like you said raw. With his potential it would make sense for a school to take a chance and redshirt him for a year and see how he develops. Maryland had him on campus for an unofficial in August, no offer. I'm sure it didn't help when the season began and he wasn't starting.
When he did get to start he did a pretty good job. They moved and shuffled the d line around allot last season. Maybe missing coach Mckenney a little bit.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT