ADVERTISEMENT

Q&A with St. Mary's Ryken linebacker Will Mckay

Maryland Varsity

Jul 18, 2013
How did the football season go for your team?
“We had a very good season. We went 9-1 against good competition and it was the best season in school history.”

What are your workout plans now going forward?
“We’re currently having off-season workouts after school as a team. After the workouts, I usually go up to the Pax River Naval base and get some field work, speed and agility, and some drills thrown in there. I think just spending time on the field is key to success. Make the field your home.”

What are you trying to improve on the most this off-season?
“I’m trying to improve on my pursuit skills the most. Attacking the ball fast is a big goal of mine. I need to get my speed and lateral movement on point. Colleges love seeing aggressive hole-filling.”

How do you believe your team will be next season?
“I believe the team will perform similar to last season. We are losing a lot of ballers. We will miss Ernie and Kristian because they were great leaders. A big key of ours this year is to find captains that will lead the team to success. I believe I am personally capable of it myself, but I need to work on my leadership skills personally as well. We have some great recruits coming in this year, as well as some promising athletes returning to the team.”

What is the toughest game on your schedule for 2018?
“Bullis, hands down. They were the only team to beat us the past year, so our eyes are locked on them. We also have to watch out for Mount Saint Joe’s though. We beat them last year and they’re definitely going to come back this year hungry.”

Do you want to play sports in college? If so, which one?
“Yes, I would like to pursue an academic and athletic career in college as a Division 1 football player.”

What colleges have been recruiting you?
“Temple has shown some interest, but I am still keeping my options open.”

Have you made any college trips yet?
“Yes, I have made college trips to Maryland and Temple.”

What camps are you going to this summer?
“The camps I’m going to this summer are Temple, Rutgers, Air Force, and Maryland.”

Did you have a favorite college growing up?
“My favorite college growing up as a kid was the Oregon Ducks. I just loved watching them dominant on the field, especially when they had Chip Kelly.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News