ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Points Question

CrickRat23

All State Poster
Oct 27, 2006
The Crick
What week does the MPSSAA start releasing the point standings. I can figure out most of the local teams points, but I like to see where the rest of the state stands. ( I know it's early yet, but... ).

Looking at the point totals every time makes me realize how watered down the MPSSAA has become with this permanent 6 classification alignment. It's so bad that both Fort Hill and Mountain Ridge will literally beat every single team in Class 1A by at least four touchdowns if that close. On the same token, the next class up 1A/2A is every bit as bad for a team like Dunbar.

West Virginia is about to move to 4 classes based on the most hideous system ever created. I have bragged about the WVSSAC for years when it comes to how superior their handling of high school sports was compared to Maryland. Not anymore - that state is a complete disaster now. The news coming out about Frankfort being in a higher class because they are within 15 miles of Cumberland is a disturbing.

Sucks that we will never really get to see how good this FH team is. They will destroy Ridge. In 2018 Douglas beat Dunbar by 2 td. Still the only 1 A title FH won with Dunbar in it.

Reactions: Dwj21
Sucks that we will never really get to see how good this FH team is. They will destroy Ridge. In 2018 Douglas beat Dunbar by 2 td. Still the only 1 A title FH won with Dunbar in it.

Oakdale is 3-0. They have a home game with Linganore this week, play FH the following week. May well be the toughest test for Fort Hill all season.

Yes I agree. I’m talking about 1A…. Before Covid we could count on seeing a Perryville, Dunbar, Douglass, Catoctin type team on the playoff run…… that is history

Looking at the point totals every time makes me realize how watered down the MPSSAA has become with this permanent 6 classification alignment. It's so bad that both Fort Hill and Mountain Ridge will literally beat every single team in Class 1A by at least four touchdowns if that close. On the same token, the next class up 1A/2A is every bit as bad for a team like Dunbar.

West Virginia is about to move to 4 classes based on the most hideous system ever created. I have bragged about the WVSSAC for years when it comes to how superior their handling of high school sports was compared to Maryland. Not anymore - that state is a complete disaster now. The news coming out about Frankfort being in a higher class because they are within 15 miles of Cumberland is a disturbing.
It's terrible. The expansion of the playoffs in 2019 was stupid, but I could stomach it. Now it's just ridiculous. I mean its cool that area schools get to play each other for a state title, but what does it even really mean when you're the only two that can realistically compete for it. Everything surrounding area football in the more recent years has just felt like its been on a more downward trend in terms of interest and excitement. I think there's a big mix of things to blame for that and it's really been unfortunate to see

Reactions: NG Huskies Fan
is it me or does Fort Hills line play look very suspect so far this year. when you say that they would be mountain ridge easily may be an overstatement from what I’ve seen so far. Old Mill took a beating from arundle last week and southern is just bad.

• Haha
Reactions: Dwj21
is it me or does Fort Hills line play look very suspect so far this year. when you say that they would be mountain ridge easily may be an overstatement from what I’ve seen so far. Old Mill took a beating from arundle last week and southern is just bad.
The ridge has no chance on fort hill. I’ve been watching both teams. Ridge still needs a lot of work. Allegany was holding them for 2 quarters. Fort hill by 3-4 TD against ridge

Reactions: Dwj21 and Tony54

Nothing wrong with Fort Hill's line play. Fort Hill gained yards between the tackles against Old Mill. Old Mill was determined not to let Fort Hill beat them on sweeps. Old Mill lost to an Arundel team that will be playing the St. Francis "A" team to end the season. And just played one of Deleware's top teams, Smyrna, last week. So their coach had to think they were going to be very good this year. They beat Old Mill for the first time in several years through the air.

it is a new year but history is a good indicator. 2011 hype, 2018 56-0, last year twice….. this year will be no different, maybe a little closer this year….maybe. Early prediction FH 35-17

Fort Hill has beaten, Northern, Old Mill and Southern. That should be 18 win points, 5 each for 1A Northern and Southern and 8 for 4A Old Mill. The MPSSAA rankings list FH with 20.

Similarly, Mt. Ridge has beaten Southern, Catoctin and Allegany. All 1A for 15 win points. The MPSSAA has them listed with 18.

For Todd or anyone, has the state changed the points for classifications or has the state just screwed up.....again.

It looks like they have changed the point system. 1A=5, 1/2A=6, 2A=7, 3A=8, 3/4A=9, and 4A=10
Just my guess.

Ok, that doesn't work for Ridge.

Looks like this is an explanation for Todd to handle.

New point system:

For defeating a Class 4A and 4A/3A schools = 8.0 points
For defeating a Class 3A and 2A schools = 7.0 points
For defeating a Class 2A/1A and 1A schools = 6.0 points

FH opponents are classified as such:

Old Mill (4A) = 8 points
Hollidaysburg (1A/2A) = 6 point
Oakdale (3A) = 7 points
New Oxford (2A) = 7 points

Why Maryland chose to use these classification distinctions is quite possibly the least intelligent thing they have done in a long time. Just label them 1A through 6A so it's not so confusing. Oy!

They have ALCO as only having 5 win points in the standings. Not sure why that is.
They have Ridge with 18 win points. 6 each for their wins over Southern, Catoctin and Allegany. All are 1A schools so 6 points is correct. The thing that will hurt Ridge again this year is their schedule. Not many win points coming from those three teams listed above. They do have shots to get some nice points in the next several weeks. Fort Hill game included.

They have Ridge with 18 win points. 6 each for their wins over Southern, Catoctin and Allegany. All are 1A schools so 6 points is correct. The thing that will hurt Ridge again this year is their schedule. Not many win points coming from those three teams listed above. They do have shots to get some nice points in the next several weeks. Fort Hill game included.
I understand Ridge's points, but I am not sure why ALCO only has 5 points for their win, (over Hollidaysburg).

I understand Ridge's points, but I am not sure why ALCO only has 5 points for their win, (over Hollidaysburg).
Ahhh… misunderstood what you were referring to when you said Alco win points. Didn’t read it fully the first time. That is definitely an error that needs fixing.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrickRat23
Ahhh… misunderstood what you were referring to when you said Alco win points. Didn’t ready it fully the first time. That is definitely an error that needs fixing.
It's just not on my end is it. Does it show 5 points for ALCO on the MPSSAA site for you.

Northern has 6 bonus points with two win? Is this another mistake?
I looked up the records for Albert Gallatin and Mount Union, (on Max Preps, take that for what it's worth. Lol), and it shows them with two wins a piece. Now I am no math wiz, but by my calculations that should be four bonus points, not six.

Honestly, they usually do a good job. They started including all the fall sports team records weekly this year (Volleyball, Girls & Boys soccer, Field Hockey, etc.) maybe it is causing them to make errors in the football standings. Lol

Reactions: CrickRat23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT