ADVERTISEMENT

Official Fort Hill/Morgantown Thread

Seasoned Lettuce

All State Poster
Jul 28, 2015
For years, I’ve been hoping to see this matchup. It’s a no brainer, two top programs, only about an hour apart, play each other in the lower ranks, two great stadiums. Looking forward to a great crowd and a great matchup. Fort Hill will have their hands full, as will Morgantown. Would love to see an ESPN, or should I say Commercial Video Instant Classic with a Fort Hill victory.

In my opinion, it's all gonna come down to what kind of adjustments Fort Hill has made to the offense. I think they will make those adjustments, and they will win this football game.

What do we know about Morgantown? A few years ago I saw them and they were running a hurry up, no huddle with all the picture signs to call in plays. Are they still doing that?

We know Morgantown has played 8 quarters and FH 1 in addition to an extra 12 days of practice. That's a massive concern.

Reactions: 52 to victory
I checked Motown on MaxPreps. They’ve got some players. Two 6’5” 300 lb OL/DL that can move. It’ll be interesting to see what the game plan will be. I hope we get it going this Friday night. Some better officiating than last Friday would be nice also. There was an obvious facemask missed and a downed a punt inside the 1, when the Loyola kid was obviously standing in the end zone.

I checked Motown on MaxPreps. They’ve got some players. Two 6’5” 300 lb OL/DL that can move. It’ll be interesting to see what the game plan will be. I hope we get it going this Friday night. Some better officiating than last Friday would be nice also. There was an obvious facemask missed and a downed a punt inside the 1, when the Loyola kid was obviously standing in the end zone.
Plus multiple holdings and 2 blatant pass interferences.

Plus multiple holdings and 2 blatant pass interferences.
I seen a pass interference call on FH that wasn't called. You guys might not have gotten the calls that your use to getting but overall the refs did fine for week 1..

The West is theirs to lose, but it will be Alcos this year and the next couple. I wont say much more about it, because as I said it's FHs to lose..Until Alco wins the West this year, I won't say anything. How do you say they aren't a contender?? If they beat Morgantown as I think they will, yes they are a contender

The West is theirs to lose, but it will be Alcos this year and the next couple. I wont say much more about it, because as I said it's FHs to lose..Until Alco wins the West this year, I won't say anything. How do you say they aren't a contender?? If they beat Morgantown as I think they will, yes they are a contender
Before last season there were several fh fans posting that if you are gonna get fh you had better get them in 2017 because the upcoming guys all the way down to the youth leagues were going to be unstoppable, had never lost to any alco kids...etc. I don't follow the youth leagues enough to judge but was wondering what those posters say now...still feel that way?

This Junior class at Alco is good, the Patriots killed them when they were in 7th and 8th grade. Alcos junior class should have never lost at the youth level. Christian Welch who is Alcos fb, was so far ahead of all the other kids. He was the fastest and the strongest in the league by far. Warriors never had a good youth program, they never had a program at all, basically showed up and played. Patriots have an awesome youth football program. This year once again the Patriots could pick their score against the Warriors. The Patriots have an unbelievable 8th grader, you don't see many athletes like this kid, he is fun to watch

Reactions: camper21502
Morgantown beat Parkersburg 45-35
Morgantown lost at Steubenville OH only 21-17

Don't take the Mohigans light or Fort Hill will end up on the losing side

Morgantown will run right at you with their HUGE OL
Lead by Pitt recruit Left Tackle #58 Nick Malone 6'7" 285
Center Jaden Wolfley 6'3 260, Older brother played at WVU

RB 5 Ty Konchesky is 6'1" 200 pound bowling ball got to stop him before he gets going down hill

Double QBs in:
#8 Cam Rice 6'3" 205 with a really strong arm, but only a Sophmore
#12 Chris Burke 6'3" 210 more of a running threat

WR #12 Kaden Rice older brother of Cam 6'1: 190 catches any thing and with great speed

Not sure if FH saw it yet, beware of the screens

Kicker is really good
Kick offs go into the endzone
Return team gives them great starting position

Defense is decent but not great
RUN right at them, Use ball control to wear them down
then hit the play action pass

Game being at Greenway:
Fort Hill 30
Mohigans 24

Reactions: cumbfanatic
With Fort Hill's schedule, I hope they can finish high enough to get in to the post-season. If they get in, they will win the region, even if they get in with a 5-4 record.

Reactions: Red White and True
The 2 PIs i was referring to were on FH...

The 2nd play I think you are referring to the ball was uncatchable. From the visitor’s side it looked like a PI but on the reply you can clearly tell that even if the receiver was not pushed he would never had a chance to get close to the ball. The first close call in the endzone the ball most likely would have been caught out of bounds as it appeared on the replay.

Last edited:
Reactions: hbpass2
The 2nd play I think you are referring to the ball was uncarchable. From the visitor l’s sidenit looked like a PI but on the reply you can clearly tell that even if the receiver was not pushed he would never had a chance to get close to the ball. The first close call in the endzone the ball most likely would have been caught out of bounds as it appeared on the replay.
NFHS it doesn't have to be Catchable to be pass interference, doesn't matter if the ball is thrown into the stands.

NFHS it doesn't have to be Catchable to be pass interference, doesn't matter if the ball is thrown into the stands.

I watched the Commercial vid again... and yes I saw that as well as some unnecessary shoving after a play was blown dead. To me, this is early stuff you don't see on a disciplined FH team once the rough edges are smoothed out.

Looks like another solid FH team though; they are just feeling the weight of everyone who has gone before... community pressure hurts you early but helps you later.

The quarterback throws a nice pass (44 had it right there and who knows how far he could have gone). The 4th down call at midfield didn't really bother me: rolling the dice that the receiver would be poorly covered - or not covered at all - makes an easy touchdown and suddenly Appel is a genius. (I liked the call given the FH defense.)

With a tradition like FH's there will always be early jitters about measuring up - even bonehead special teams play. Heretofore, I am sure the FH squad will realize that this is their team. They always do.

Morgantown does scare me. They appear to be a solid team with a lot more game time under their belt.

Last edited:
This Junior class at Alco is good, the Patriots killed them when they were in 7th and 8th grade. Alcos junior class should have never lost at the youth level. Christian Welch who is Alcos fb, was so far ahead of all the other kids. He was the fastest and the strongest in the league by far. Warriors never had a good youth program, they never had a program at all, basically showed up and played. Patriots have an awesome youth football program. This year once again the Patriots could pick their score against the Warriors. The Patriots have an unbelievable 8th grader, you don't see many athletes like this kid, he is fun to watch
It's scary to see all the talent that's coming up in FH.. It would be nice if we could get 1 or 2 of them All-Stars to come over to the Blue but that will never happen.. FH will be looking at some State Championships in the near future. This year might actually be the last chance Alco has at beating FH for atleast 3-5 yrs. No Joke!!!

It's scary to see all the talent that's coming up in FH.. It would be nice if we could get 1 or 2 of them All-Stars to come over to the Blue but that will never happen.. FH will be looking at some State Championships in the near future. This year might actually be the last chance Alco has at beating FH for atleast 3-5 yrs. No Joke!!!

It's a numbers game. FH has almost twice what Alco has in numbers on JV, along with a freshman team. When this group graduates from Allegany, it could well be the beginning of the end, first for the rivalry then for football. I basically posted the same in the JV thread and have been commenting on this for years.

Well, you can't change tradition or loyalty to a school unless there is a dramatic reason. Beating one's rival to death isn't a reason. Even if the other school stops playing you and eventually ends football, isn't a dramatic reason.

Sadly, when there are two public schools in Cumberland and only one plays football, there will be quite a few young men without an opportunity to play but then it will be too late.

What good is a championship then? Oh... sorry.... It will be great for the few kids who play, the coaching staff, grads and a smile engendered from the same grads from maybe a billboard put up somewhere.

It's a numbers game. FH has almost twice what Alco has in numbers on JV, along with a freshman team. When this group graduates from Allegany, it could well be the beginning of the end, first for the rivalry then for football. I basically posted the same in the JV thread and have been commenting on this for years.

Well, you can't change tradition or loyalty to a school unless there is a dramatic reason. Beating one's rival to death isn't a reason. Even if the other school stops playing you and eventually ends football, isn't a dramatic reason.

Sadly, when there are two public schools in Cumberland and only one plays football, there will be quite a few young men without an opportunity to play but then it will be too late.

What good is a championship then? Oh... sorry.... It will be great for the few kids who play, the coaching staff, grads and a smile engendered from the same grads from maybe a billboard put up somewhere.
That was Jv and freshman combined last night.

How many JV, players does FH have it looked to be around 60? I think this year and next year will be Alcos years. I'm going take FH 35 Morgantown 13.

I don't have a dog in this fight but being a former FH player back in the day, I'm a little surprised that FH, who has been the beneficiary of big lineman and big backs at 1A would resort back to small linemen and an undersized backfield.

I do not claim to know the skill level of the current roster, but I can tell you that you win football games because of line play... period. In reading the post above about the size of Morgantown and how good they are, if your FH and the center and guards are undersized and constantly being pushed back from the line of scrimmage the coaches don't need to worry about them trying to get to the second level. It's not a knock on the kids, but the old saying goes a good big man will beat a smaller man 9 out of 10 times. The same goes on the defensive side. FH has struggled the past few years defending the run between the tackles because of not being able to get free from blockers who are bigger. If I'm Morgantown, I'd run all day between the tackles until FH shows me that they can stop me. On the defensive side, I would place a big 300 pounder nose tight on the center and have 8 in the box. Make FH throw a forward pass!!!!!!!!

On a lighter side... I still see after all these years FH still doesn't use the forward pass as part of their arsenal. Maybe this year they should look at helping their line by throwing the ball to get all those guys out of the box
I might sound critical, but it's hard to block two guys when they know you are going to run and they are inches away from both sides of your facemask. It's not a lot of fun.

Oh I how miss the days of running all practice long or doing log rolls until you vomit for committing a penalty... make each day a memory!

I don't have a dog in this fight but being a former FH player back in the day, I'm a little surprised that FH, who has been the beneficiary of big lineman and big backs at 1A would resort back to small linemen and an undersized backfield.

I do not claim to know the skill level of the current roster, but I can tell you that you win football games because of line play... period. In reading the post above about the size of Morgantown and how good they are, if your FH and the center and guards are undersized and constantly being pushed back from the line of scrimmage the coaches don't need to worry about them trying to get to the second level. It's not a knock on the kids, but the old saying goes a good big man will beat a smaller man 9 out of 10 times. The same goes on the defensive side. FH has struggled the past few years defending the run between the tackles because of not being able to get free from blockers who are bigger. If I'm Morgantown, I'd run all day between the tackles until FH shows me that they can stop me. On the defensive side, I would place a big 300 pounder nose tight on the center and have 8 in the box. Make FH throw a forward pass!!!!!!!!

On a lighter side... I still see after all these years FH still doesn't use the forward pass as part of their arsenal. Maybe this year they should look at helping their line by throwing the ball to get all those guys out of the box
I might sound critical, but it's hard to block two guys when they know you are going to run and they are inches away from both sides of your facemask. It's not a lot of fun.

Oh I how miss the days of running all practice long or doing log rolls until you vomit for committing a penalty... make each day a memory!
Your comments are spot on There is an exception to every season...remember the munchkins! if you are smaller that doesn't necessarily mean you can't outsmart a bigger guy...however, with fh's style of play and little to no room for flexibility or adjustments, you will lose line play 9 out of 10 times, just like you are saying. The best coaches can get out of their own stubborn way and adjust to the personnel they have to work with. If you can't do that, then the lineup you have chosen will fail(at least compared to previous years when you had the size to do what you like). It doesn't take somebody on the inside to see this is a problem. There is a reason why companies hire consultants, and it's not to come in and agree with the status quo. If you were an insider I'd say you might be stuck in your own head believing the success you've had means you know best and don't need to change. Anyhoo, my opinion for what it's worth.

In the days of the munchkins, there was only a shoulder block. Now, big linemen can put their big paws on a man and keep him at bay forever. The only hope a smaller guy on Defense has is to be stronger or a whole lot quicker than the man across from him. But FH's D is pretty impressive. The main problem is the undersized line. While a 190 pound guard looks good running 40 yards downfield, the reality is that he was useless for that play. If that same guard can't move a big man to get you three yards when needed, he is really useless. Remember the 2011 season. FH had great backs but only two legit linemen. No one in the middle weighed more than 180 pounds. Perryville moved their big tackle into the middle on a Fort Hill first and goal and stopped them cold changing the game completely. (Some guys hate to hear it but size matters)

After the Hollidaysburg game (another possible loss as they are loaded this year) Fort Hill will walk through the rest of their schedule. But to have a shot at winning in the playoffs outside of the West, they will have to be able to square off with the likes of Dunbar, Lackey, and/or Douglass PG.

In the days of the munchkins, there was only a shoulder block. Now, big linemen can put their big paws on a man and keep him at bay forever. The only hope a smaller guy on Defense has is to be stronger or a whole lot quicker than the man across from him. But FH's D is pretty impressive. The main problem is the undersized line. While a 190 pound guard looks good running 40 yards downfield, the reality is that he was useless for that play. If that same guard can't move a big man to get you three yards when needed, he is really useless. Remember the 2011 season. FH had great backs but only two legit linemen. No one in the middle weighed more than 180 pounds. Perryville moved their big tackle into the middle on a Fort Hill first and goal and stopped them cold changing the game completely. (Some guys hate to hear it but size matters)

After the Hollidaysburg game (another possible loss as they are loaded this year) Fort Hill will walk through the rest of their schedule. But to have a shot at winning in the playoffs outside of the West, they will have to be able to square off with the likes of Dunbar, Lackey, and/or Douglass PG.

Speaking of size and Hollidaysburg, was reading about their game last week and saw that at least their O line starts three 300 pounders.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll ever know. Storms are a comin'.

No matter how conditioned FH is, they're woefully undersized on the line. So, even if they can hang with bigger teams in the first half, the second half they'll be out of gas. Especially, if this hot, humid weather persists. This is why I think Morgantown would win big -- IF the game were to be played.

ADVERTISEMENT