ADVERTISEMENT

Multiple Competitive Layers of High School Football: What is a cupcake?

MCsoccerplex

All State Poster
Aug 20, 2007
In reality, what is a cupcake in the world of competitive high school football?

While I will agree that Walter Johnson certainly is not the epitome of a superb 4A football program in MD, the team won last night and put 54 points on the board. In all honestly, FHHS could have easily put up 80 on WJ last week, but WJ won last night!

Kent Island was a formidable foe that had won six games prior to the Sentinels beating them last night 38-13. They had scored almost as many points per game as the Sentinels and had given up as few points as the Sentinels prior to last night. So...what does this say about Kent Island? What does it say about its first six opponents?

Silver Oak has multiple wins this year. Where are they this year in the overall pecking order?

Chestnut Ridge continues to win, and beat a solid Allegany team early in the season.

What about Keyser? Keyser beat a 5-1 Jefferson team last night on the road. What kind of teams did Jefferson beat?

Capital Christian won two games in two days. Their only loss this year is to the #10 team in North Carolina (Southern) 41-0. Southern is 8-0. At 9-1, where does Capital Christian fall in the pecking order?

Mountain Ridge thumped Hedgesville on the road and lost to Northern Garrett by a substantial margin.

Allegany thumped Mountain Ridge, but lost to Chestnut Ridge.

My question for discussion is this: In reality, how many competitive tiers are there in high school football?

This post was edited on 10/18 5:53 PM by MCsoccerplex

KI coach told wtbo last night that this was his worst team in 6 years. He lost 13 starters from last years team. Take it anyway you want, but they are a pretty good team this year

Originally posted by WeHave8:
KI coach told wtbo last night that this was his worst team in 6 years. He lost 13 starters from last years team. Take it anyway you want, but they are a pretty good team this year
Take it anyway you want, but if KI played Alleagny this year the clock runs in KI's favor....Despite being their worst team in the last six years.

I think the breakdown of the schedule in another thread by PolkHigh sums up what an excellent job Appel has done positioning FH to get home field throughout the playoffs. It's very smart to avoid dangerous games. But they should just admit it instead of making excuses about "other schools won't play us", "it's too far to travel", or "we don't play 3A or 4A schools", lol

They haven't avoided anyone. They just played a highly rated KI 2a school and they will play any 1a school within reasonable travel distance. It's smart to throw in a weak 4a school for points but it's not a matter of avoiding better 4a schools, it's a matter of a 1a school playing in the division they should be playing in. You just don't get it.

I think the KI game was a perfect example of why FH doesn't play the quality 3A and 4A schools. Too much in terms of numbers and in skill players. The radio said KI only had three players playing both ways, how many did FH have playing both ways? If FH didn't have the caliber of offense they have this year (yes I mean Johnson and Barnes) and the pass defense (John and Barnes again) FH loses this game. How many times have you seen a team behind 31 - 7 totally abandon the passing game so early in the third corner? The KI coach said that FHs quickness on pass defense drove KI into a run only offense. And FH had a hard time stopping it. Quite frankly couple of missplays by KI helped FH a lot. Especially on fourth down.

This is taking nothing away from the rest of FHs team. Backs can't gain ground without someone throwing good blocks, both to protect the Qback and to open holes. The line is playing very well.

FHs quick strike capability changed KIs game plan (in my opinion). If KI had a couple of athletes that could run with Johnson and Barnes it's a different story, and quality 3A and 4A teams will have them.

Just be happy that we have the quality football team we do have. Teams like this do not come along very often in 1A ball and don't schedule the future based on what this team does. After all, a high school team loses about 40% of it's players from one year to the next, and probably a higher percentage of starters.

FH essentially plays exactly the same schedule as Alco. And in the last 6 years (since Todd taking the job), has been far more successful at getting to the finals and winning a title.

So you have to give credit where credit is due, the schedule only gets you so far..you still have to win the games. FH is..Alco isn't.

This post was edited on 10/19 7:51 PM by FHHSAHS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT