ADVERTISEMENT

MD Schools to start later>

beall02

Franchise Poster
Jun 2, 2006
Governor Hogan signed an executive order to start schools after the Labor Day holiday starting in the 2017/2018 school year. This could be big for area football. We already start one week later than WV. This could mean we start two weeks later. That would be a huge disadvantage to MD schools who have WV ones in the first couple weeks of the season. They would have already played 2 games and MD schools would have played none. It also means tighter schedules. WV would only have 9 weeks to schedule games with MD schools not 10 anymore. I personally think starting after Labor Day is the right thing to do. But it would be a mess for football at least.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
Many years ago, MD schools started right after Labor Day. I don't think there was a problem then was there? FH & Alco both had CVAL schedules back then...

PA, VA, WV, DC already start first play dates a week ahead of Maryland already. It's a typical Maryland backwards set up. The logical thing to do when the post-Labor day classes start is to keep things where they are with sports. That means playing a game before school is in session. They already do this with golf.

The article in The Sun said the later start date wouldn't impact HS sports at all.

First day of practice will be August 9th, 2017, first game will still be the first week of September

Many years ago, MD schools started right after Labor Day. I don't think there was a problem then was there? FH & Alco both had CVAL schedules back then...

I started public school in Allegany County in 1980, I don't remember ever going back AFTER Labor day. I don't know what WV did back then, but also you have to figure FH and Alco were playing mostly MD schools then and bigger classes, so it probably wouldn't have been evident either way.

I started public school in Allegany County in 1980, I don't remember ever going back AFTER Labor day. I don't know what WV did back then, but also you have to figure FH and Alco were playing mostly MD schools then and bigger classes, so it probably wouldn't have been evident either way.
I started public school in Allegany County in 1958, and we always started school after Labor Day.

I totally get that, Red. I know back in the day that was the norm. I was referring more to the issue of it "being a problem" in regards to scheduling. Seeing as the MPSSAA state playoffs started 6 years before I started school, in 1974, scheduling wasn't really an issue, as there was no "set date" to be completed by in terms of playoffs. The football season didn't even start until later in September, as Turkey Day was the last game of the year.

Unfortunately if you read the comments on the Gov's Facebook page, a lot the supporters of the post labor day start have the idea that they should also push back the start of sports as well. Those of us who even somewhat follow sports and has any idea the mandatory practices and stuff know this can't work. If that were to be the case, the regular seasons couldn't start until near the end of September, there is just no way it would work. I say leave everything, including the start of school as it is, if anything let MD football start the same week WV and PA does.

Since I have been following High School Football, which is the mid 1990's, the season has always started after the start of school. I was not aware of going back post Labor Day holiday and how the schedules worked out. All I have known is pre Labor Day start and post back to school start for athletics. I was only bringing up that if they do that it would mean MD would start at least two weeks later then WV. I know that Fort Hill and Allegany have managed to keep their schedules mostly MD teams despite the difficulty of finding teams to play them. Mountain Ridge only plays Northern, Alco, and Fort Hill as far as MD teams go now. They are chocked full of WV and PA schools. As an example, the Miners play two WV schools to start their season, this would mean that John Marshall would have at least two games played when they play Mountain Ridge in the Miners first game. Not to mention that if they do this it would throw a wrench into schedules. I doubt that WV schools would be able to move the MD schools back one week on their schedules to accommodate such a move. Would be a heck of a mess if it happens. I say start them where they are or even a little earlier. That way you don't start school and have Labor Day in the first week back. Guess that is why they pay the AD's the big bucks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT