ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland to introduce bill to ban tackle football under the age of 14

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
LINK: https://wtop.com/maryland/2018/02/maryland-to-introduce-bill-to-ban-tackle-football-under-age-14/

All I am going to say is this: If you are a parent and the concussion issue while playing football is a concern I can understand this. Yes, there are risks participating in contact sports. However, if you allow your kids to swim then you are severely ignorant.

While I agree football has safety risks involved, the statistics for swimming related deaths and permanent injury are about 1000 times more prevalent. Please see the link below from The National Safety Council concerning the statistics for swimming related deaths and injury.

- There are over 7,000 drowning deaths nationally each year as opposed to 7 head injury related football deaths per year. Drowning accidents are the leading cause of death and injury of children under 5 years of age.

- Drowning is the second leading cause of injury-related death among children under the age of 15. (U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).

I am asking Terri Hill to sponsor a proposed bill that will prohibit public pools and state owned bodies of water from allowing swimming for children under the age of 15. If this cannot be put to vote than Terri Hill is a hypocrite with an agenda. If she is truly concerned with child safety the stats are overwhelming.

Think twice before reading this if you think football is a safety concern:
Facts about Swimming Pool Drowning Accidents from the National Safety Council

This is stupid. If you don't want your kids to play football just don't sign them up. This is the type of liberal government overreach stuff that got Trump elected, lol.

I also think much of the CTE research is flawed. Almost every football analyst on TV and radio played football their entire lives without apparent brain injury.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
This is stupid. If you don't want your kids to play football just don't sign them up. This is the type of liberal government overreach stuff that got Trump elected, lol.

I also think much of the CTE research is flawed. Almost every football analyst on TV and radio played football their entire lives without apparent brain injury.

There is risk in everything we do in life. Riding a bicycle, swimming, getting into an automobile, buying and selling processed foods,etc. However, we can't ban everything because .081 percent of the participants were injured or killed. This woman, while her heart may truly be concerned about safety, has an agenda. The #1 cause of death in sports is gymnastics. But you won't hear about politicians or doctors taking a stand on gymnastics. It's not going to gain any notoriety.

If you are letting your kid ride a bike or swim...football isn't even close. Don't be ignorant. I'm not saying football doesn't have risks. But if I told you 7 people died doing this while 7000 people died while doing this...if you tell me I'm scared of the thing that killed 7 people then you are truly ignorant and truly an American easily swayed by propaganda.

I do not at all agree with it. You can't compare it to swimming. A lot more ppl swim so of course the numbers will be very high

While I'm not saying I favor a ban, I do want to point out that while x number of deaths from football related/tackle injuries is not astronomically significant, the long term effects of brain injury and related repeated head injuries is alarming and still being studied. I do a lot of work with brain injured individuals. Anything that works towards reducing those issues is pertinent.

I'm not going to name names or schools, but in the last so many years, there have been issues where kids have been getting repeated head injuries and still being allowed to play. More stringent rules on concussions has been a help, but the rules are weakly enforced.

The problem with equating this to swimming or other dangerous, non contact sports is the issue of high impact and poor skills. Your kid may be fine, but he gets hit by another kid and he had no control over it. Competitive swimming, while having its own dangers, is not of the same ilk.

I think there is a serious drop off in proper technique and oversight in the pee wee and youth league instruction of tackling and head protection. Misfitting helmets, bad form, etc...I push for more stringent rules adherence, instruction and concussion oversight. Not banning tackling tho, I agree thats not the problem.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
I do not at all agree with it. You can't compare it to swimming. A lot more ppl swim so of course the numbers will be very high

You are correct. They are not comparable. Swimming dangers are far, far greater. I'm not going to dismiss the safety issues of football. Don't take sides and dismiss the safety issues involved with swimming. The numbers are so ginormous it's mind boggling.

Let's put it in other terms:
In the last ten years - .081% of every 100,000 kids who played football died or suffered from head/spine trauma. That is less than 1%. Your kid is more likely to get struck by lightening than suffer death/trauma from a football injury. Does it happen? Sure. There is risk in everything we do.

In addition to the 7,000 drowning deaths per year in America, an estimated 5,000 children ages 14 and under are hospitalized due to near drownings each year; 15 percent die in the hospital and as many as 20 percent suffer severe, permanent neurological disability. - (Foundation for Aquatic Injury Prevention)

The bottom line is you don't have to let your kid play football or swim. It's an option.

While I'm not saying I favor a ban, I do want to point out that while x number of deaths from football related/tackle injuries is not astronomically significant, the long term effects of brain injury and related repeated head injuries is alarming and still being studied. I do a lot of work with brain injured individuals. Anything that works towards reducing those issues is pertinent.

I'm not going to name names or schools, but in the last so many years, there have been issues where kids have been getting repeated head injuries and still being allowed to play. More stringent rules on concussions has been a help, but the rules are weakly enforced.

The problem with equating this to swimming or other dangerous, non contact sports is the issue of high impact and poor skills. Your kid may be fine, but he gets hit by another kid and he had no control over it. Competitive swimming, while having its own dangers, is not of the same ilk.

I think there is a serious drop off in proper technique and oversight in the pee wee and youth league instruction of tackling and head protection. Misfitting helmets, bad form, etc...I push for more stringent rules adherence, instruction and concussion oversight. Not banning tackling tho, I agree thats not the problem.

I agree that head injuries should be studied and safety rules should be strictly enforced. Personally my son started playing tackle football in pee wee league and I never had a problem with it. I actually spoke out to our youth organization about some changes that needed to be made. For example, the first year my son played practice started July 9th (they may call it camp or conditioning or something, but it was basically the same players and coaches, lol), and because our team was pretty good and kept advancing in the playoffs, the season didn't end until after Thanksgiving. I thought that was way too long for 6 and 7 year olds.

Reactions: Redwhite90
Let's put it in other terms:
In the last ten years - .081% of every 100,000 kids who played football died or suffered from head/spine trauma. That is less than 1%. Your kid is more likely to get struck by lightening than suffer death/trauma from a football injury. Does it happen? Sure. There is risk in everything we do.

In addition to the 7,000 drowning deaths per year in America, an estimated 5,000 children ages 14 and under are hospitalized due to near drownings each year; 15 percent die in the hospital and as many as 20 percent suffer severe, permanent neurological disability. - (Foundation for Aquatic Injury Prevention)

I dont disagree with your opinion that banning tackling is not necessary. But if you're going to use statistics, they have to be relevant.

You are using numbers recorded by organized football vs overall general swimming deaths and injuries. A kid who nearly drowns in a backyard pool is not relevant to a kid who gets a concussion playing an organized game of football, governed by rules and regulations.

These aren't relevant to each other. How many kids die during organized, competitive swimming each year?

Reactions: foreverredandwhite1
My issue is not to dismiss one over the other. But there is a certain level of expected safety to go along with a certain level of possible accidents in any organized sport. The goal is to make them as safe as possible and to minimize the risk of accidental injury to the fullest extent.

Kids who drown in backyard pools are most likely a) too young to be left alone near a pool b) dont know how to swim or c) bypassing some level of security to access it. Also, the statistics for drowning includes bathtub accidents as well.

Kids playing organized football are in full equipment, expected to know the correct way to tackle, are actively surrounded by a number of coaches and parents, and have people nearby to assist them if there is an injury.

Again, just use relevant statistics.

My issue is not to dismiss one over the other. But there is a certain level of expected safety to go along with a certain level of possible accidents in any organized sport. The goal is to make them as safe as possible and to minimize the risk of accidental injury to the fullest extent.

Kids who drown in backyard pools are most likely a) too young to be left alone near a pool b) dont know how to swim or c) bypassing some level of security to access it. Also, the statistics for drowning includes bathtub accidents as well.

Kids playing organized football are in full equipment, expected to know the correct way to tackle, are actively surrounded by a number of coaches and parents, and have people nearby to assist them if there is an injury.

Again, just use relevant statistics.

Public pools, commercial (business) pools and state/federal bodies of water (such as oceans) are relevant in your analysis. Lifeguards are no different than a coach or doctor on the sideline. These things are comparable.

Granted a private pool in the backyard is different. No different than kids playing tackle football in the backyard.
The point here is that there are many other activities that have similar risks. You might want to look up death and permanent injury results from baseball, ice hockey, softball, swimming, cheerleading and gymnastics --- all along the same lines of severe injury numbers. But they don't garner the same notoriety. Hence there is an agenda for people in football due to interest levels and popularity.

TO IGNORE THIS INFORMATION IS EXTREMELY HYPOCRITICAL.

Public pools, commercial (business) pools and state/federal bodies of water (such as oceans) are relevant in your analysis. Lifeguards are no different than a coach or doctor on the sideline. These things are comparable.

Granted a private pool in the backyard is different. No different than kids playing tackle football in the backyard.
The point here is that there are many other activities that have similar risks. You might want to look up death and permanent injury results from baseball, ice hockey, softball, swimming, cheerleading and gymnastics --- all along the same lines of severe injury numbers. But they don't garner the same notoriety. Hence there is an agenda for people in football due to interest levels and popularity.

TO IGNORE THIS INFORMATION IS EXTREMELY HYPOCRITICAL.

This is a discussion about football. You dont justify one dangerous activity by pointing out the dangers of another activity. I get what you're saying but its not the same. And also, dont leave out the fact that other sports HAVE seen drastic changes.

One of the newest changes, The US Soccer Federation has banned heading the ball for kids 11 and under, and some are pushing for that to be raised to 14. Maryland has followed that rule for over a year now. This is a focus on brain injury, same with football. And contact sports in general.

Other counties have been doing this for years. Rugby heavy countries have banned tackling in youth sports for many years. England, Canada, etc...they see the dangers.

Ignoring the long term affects of repeated head impacts and head injuries, some not realized for many years after the fact, is not one to take lightly either. And unless we see a drastic drop in concussions and head injuries in contact sports from better equipment or better instruction, banning elements of the game that cause those injuries is the next step.

This is a discussion about football. You dont justify one dangerous activity by pointing out the dangers of another activity. I get what you're saying but its not the same. And also, dont leave out the fact that other sports HAVE seen drastic changes.

One of the newest changes, The US Soccer Federation has banned heading the ball for kids 11 and under, and some are pushing for that to be raised to 14. Maryland has followed that rule for over a year now. This is a focus on brain injury, same with football. And contact sports in general.

Other counties have been doing this for years. Rugby heavy countries have banned tackling in youth sports for many years. England, Canada, etc...they see the dangers.

Ignoring the long term affects of repeated head impacts and head injuries, some not realized for many years after the fact, is not one to take lightly either. And unless we see a drastic drop in concussions and head injuries in contact sports from better equipment or better instruction, banning elements of the game that cause those injuries is the next step.

Football involves risk. Less risk than other optional activities. So why only stick with the football topic? Popularity is the answer. Gymnastics should be banned completely if tackle football is not permitted. So I suppose if 4 million kids participated in gymnastics then they would do something about it. That's so absurd.

Tune into the Winter Olympics here soon and watch America glorify the U.S. Gymnastics team. They are all 15, 16 and 17 year olds that have been training for this event their entire life. Gymnastics is the No. 1 cause of death/severe head and spinal injury of any sport. Yet you will not see Baltimore Delegate Terri Hill pushing for a ban on gymnastics training. SEVERE HYPOCRISY! The agenda is notoriety, not safety.

If football is all people can see while ignoring the rest there is a one-sided problem. I'm a Democrat but Jesus Christ that's bad. This whole subject reminds me of the mother I know who won't let her 12 year old play football but lets him ride his personal 4 wheeler through the woods without a helmet. That is the mentality we deal with in America and that is my point. It is embarrassingly unintelligent.

Here is a better idea: Let's put the bill up for a public vote instead of permitting a minority of politicians to push their agenda as to what is right for your kid. Parents all know the risks involved. Let them decide.

Last edited:
Here's an idea, why not eliminate all shoulder blocks, or make it a rule that you must have your hands on the defensive player to engage him. We already have rules against leading with the head when tackling, just take the shoulder block out of the line play. Actually, the only people still using their shoulders are pee wee, youth, and some high schools. It won't take away all the injuries but it might stop some.

I like the idea as bleedred presented. Focus more on specific tackling and impact requirements. And be diligent in holding parents/coaches in charge of these events responsible for injuries resulting from poor oversight and instruction.

The coach standing on the sideline screaming HIT HIM harder! to his 9 year old or the coach jumping up and down with glee because they repeatedly hit a player enough that his "bell is rung" (<---true story)...have no place in the direct oversight of kids playing football.

there ARE other measures that can be taken before banning tackling.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
It's a damn shame what we've become. Riding bikes with helmets, roller skating with helmets and elbow pads. diving boards gone from the pools, school called off because it " might " snow, etc. Geez, what a bunch of snowflakes we've become. Don't slam me - I don't want kids hurt in any way, but damn let 'em live. What's next- nerf balls in Little League baseball??

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
It's a damn shame what we've become. Riding bikes with helmets, roller skating with helmets and elbow pads. diving boards gone from the pools, school called off because it " might " snow, etc. Geez, what a bunch of snowflakes we've become. Don't slam me - I don't want kids hurt in any way, but damn let 'em live. What's next- nerf balls in Little League baseball??

I'm with you on the school called off thing, usually. But...I gotta say I completely disagree on the helmets for bikes and skates/rollerblades, etc. There is some pretty significant empirical evidence showing the benefits for wearing helmets during those types of activities. I mean, you dont have to wear a helmet when you're skating around Moon Glo. But if you are out on the sidewalks and streets, with cars and pavement and other people. Yea, you have to protect that noggin.

It wasnt that long ago when football helmets were flimsy plastic with one face bar and hockey players still refused to wear helmets. And now we cant really imagine either sport without them. There is an evolution to safety as we start looking into the long term affects of brain injuries. If adults want to take that chance, so be it. But kids dont get that luxury as long as they are kids.

I've spent the last 20 years working with individuals with brain and spinal cord injuries. Some from accidents, etc that were unavoidable.. But many from diving into pools, wrecking bikes, getting hit by a baseball, all kinds of reasons. I will never shy away from my support of any measures taken to lower the instance of head and spine injuries.

Thank you for being the sound of reason here. Common sense says you will have many more deaths in an activity that has SOSOSO many more people involved. Compare apples to apples. I get you have a viewpoint but if you are truly unbiased and want others to look at facts, then only state facts that are comparable.
Are the swimming stats including toddlers falling into pools, teenage boys diving off roofs into a 4 ft pool, diving into lakes without knowing the depth??? These are not school sponsored/sanctioned/organized events like high school football or even peewee where you have many coaches and parents all observingsupervising the activity. How many children have died or been disabled at a high school swim meet compared to those who have gotten a concussion at a high school football game....now that is the comparison I think we should see that stats on.

Last edited:

Damn straight!
What a load of manure that bill was. If you don't want your kid to play tackle football then don't.

Sadly, Americans are very gullible people. They believe whatever Photoshop graphic they read on Facebook as fact. Hitler would have ruled the world if social media was around in the 1940s with the right propaganda team. Fear is easy to use against people living here and that is all the concussion talk attempts to accomplish. Yes, it is a risk. But no more a risk than things we do everyday. Stop fearing life.

"My son Johnny isn't going to play tackle football. Here is a skateboard to ride little Johnny." - makes zero sense. Fear propaganda works.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT