ADVERTISEMENT

Lackey loses by a score of 3-0

LinemenWinGames

All State Poster
Nov 14, 2005
I have seen that Lackey Chargers lost to the Huntington Hurricanes by a score of 3-0 on Friday night. It was a 4th Qtr FG by Huntingtown that accounted for the only score. Being that Lackey is a top 1A contender, does anyone know anything about Huntingtown? I haven’t been able to find any write-up on this game.

I have seen that Lackey Chargers lost to the Huntington Hurricanes by a score of 3-0 on Friday night. It was a 4th Qtr FG by Huntingtown that accounted for the only score. Being that Lackey is a top 1A contender, does anyone know anything about Huntingtown? I haven’t been able to find any write-up on this game.

3A Huntingtown is the second ranked team in Southern Maryland (behind 4A power North Point). The outcome of the game isn't a big surprise because Lackey is the third ranked team and the line on the game was even. In the SMAC schools are divided up between the Potomac Division (4A and 3A) and Chesapeake Division (2A and 1A). Of course Lackey is in the Chesapeake but they still have to play against the bigger schools at times. They can't pick and choose their schedule. The game was played at Huntingtown and I'm sure field conditions contributed to the low scoring and turnovers. I haven't been down there in a while but many of those schools still don't have artificial turf.

http://www.somdnews.com/independent...icle_da1230e6-63f5-51e4-959b-a9874d8313f1.htm

I see Lackey had 4 turnovers. That seems to be a common theme with many teams in this early (and very wet) start to the season.

Lackey and Douglass are lucky to be in the 1A South however, literally the worst region in the entire state where 3-6 Surrattsville and Fairmont Heights get in each year. They only have 7 teams in the region and the MPSSAA laid a massive egg with this one. There has to be an even distribution of teams but the MPSSAA isn't going to budge on PG County.

It's important to note that Douglass does not make the playoffs if they were in the 1A West last year. A 7-3 Lackey won't make the playoffs in the 1A West. Even an 8 win Lackey or Douglass is going to sweat out making the playoffs in the West.

Last edited:
Lackey, like Dunbar are different teams in week 7 then they are week 2.

Last edited:
In any event, a Lackey loss is noteworthy, Fort Hill/Allegany, whoever comes out of the West, hope to get Lackey or maybe Dunbar in Cumberland for the semis. We’ll see how it shakes out but everything counts.

Lackey and Douglass are lucky to be in the 1A South however, literally the worst region in the entire state where 3-6 Surrattsville and Fairmont Heights get in each year. They only have 7 teams in the region and the MPSSAA laid a massive egg with this one. There has to be an even distribution of teams but the MPSSAA isn't going to budge on PG County.

It's important to note that Douglass does not make the playoffs if they were in the 1A West last year. A 7-3 Lackey won't make the playoffs in the 1A West. Even an 8 win Lackey or Douglass is going to sweat out making the playoffs in the West.

True, but as I said previously, Douglass and Lackey can't pick and choose their schedule. You can also say teams are lucky to be in the 1A West. Douglass didn't have a bad loss last year. If they play Alco's schedule last year they are going to be 9-1. Douglass lost a tough game to 4A power Flowers last year, but they don't the option of just dropping them like FH dropped Friendship.

Besides, we can prop up Lackey all we want, and talk about how tough their league is and it is. But, the bottom line, Lackey got the chance to come to Cumberland and play Fort Hill and the most. Props to them, and yes it was close, but we’ve played them on the field not just in message board hyperbole and we beat them.

In any event, a Lackey loss is noteworthy, Fort Hill/Allegany, whoever comes out of the West, hope to get Lackey or maybe Dunbar in Cumberland for the semis. We’ll see how it shakes out but everything counts.
Devil's Advocate..... Or......... how about the semis and a Baltimore team in the cold tundra of Garrett County in November??? anyone???

True, but as I said previously, Douglass and Lackey can't pick and choose their schedule. You can also say teams are lucky to be in the 1A West. Douglass didn't have a bad loss last year. If they play Alco's schedule last year they are going to be 9-1. Douglass lost a tough game to 4A power Flowers last year, but they don't the option of just dropping them like FH dropped Friendship.

Couldn't agree more. But again, Douglass would turn in their uniform the first week of November if they played in the West. Much like they did in 2016. Their regular season schedule may be decent but their current regional competition is the worst in the state. Football is just a tougher road up in the west. Ask Alco coaches, they may have played for several titles had they been in the South Region. Kudos for the county making them play other local schools though.

9-1? Who do they beat Dunbar or FH??? Im not sure they would even beat last yrs Chestnut Ridge who went 10-2, one game away from the Championship... Ok lol they might beat the ridge but definitely not the Sentinels or Poets...

Last edited:
But Boyz, Lackey would never be forced to play a Friendship in their league, might be a good league, but a Friendship, nah.

Lol, but they are. I'm not sure where you got the idea that Friendship is a super team, they were 4-3 last year when they played FH. They are a solid program but they are on the same level as Flowers. Currently Friendship is ranked #14 in the Washington Post poll, Flowers (4A) is ranked #18, and North Point (4A) is #24. Last year Douglass lost a close game to Flowers but they have to play them again this season. They can't just decide to drop them because it was a tough game last season. Lackey has to play North Point most seasons.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Lol, but they are. I'm not sure where you got the idea that Friendship is a super team, they were 4-3 last year when they played FH. They are a solid program but they are on the same level as Flowers. Currently Friendship is ranked #14 in the Washington Post poll, Flowers (4A) is ranked #18, and North Point (4A) is #24. Last year Douglass lost a close game to Flowers but they have to play them again this season. They can't just decide to drop them because it was a tough game last season. Lackey has to play North Point most seasons.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that anyone here said that Friendship is a super team, but they are not the average joe's you're trying to paint them as. Their losses at the time they played FH were to DeMatha, Hun of New Jersey (who finished 8-1) and Archbishop Spalding. Not exactly cupcakes. As I stated before, the only MD public's they have played since 2013 are FH, Westlake and Dunbar. All for one year, though you only question FH as to why. There are no Wise's or other MD 4A's on those schedules or even someone like Martinsburg. The schedules are full of the better privates from Baltimore and DC and up and down the East coast. As a school that openly recruits should be playing.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that anyone here said that Friendship is a super team, but they are not the average joe's you're trying to paint them as. Their losses at the time they played FH were to DeMatha, Hun of New Jersey (who finished 8-1) and Archbishop Spalding. Not exactly cupcakes. As I stated before, the only MD public's they have played since 2013 are FH, Westlake and Dunbar. All for one year, though you only question FH as to why. There are no Wise's or other MD 4A's on those schedules or even someone like Martinsburg. The schedules are full of the better privates from Baltimore and DC and up and down the East coast. As a school that openly recruits should be playing.

Friendship is good team, equivalent to a Maryland 1A school. Last year they finished #20 in the Washington Post poll and they didn't even win the DC league - they lost to an ordinary DC (non-charter) public school. They also can't "openly recruit" that's just a convenient excuse you came up with. People said the same thing about Dunbar last week and the guy from Baltimore debunked that nonsense. Also, I don't know about the arrangements they made with other schools they have played since 2013 - or why it's even important - I can speak on the agreement that FH broke to play a game this season.

But getting back to the original point. Lackey and Douglass have to play 4A powers on a regular basis, and they can't just drop them because they lost the previous year. I've heard some people here say all Maryland schools schedule for the playoffs but that's inaccurate. That's a WMD thing. And actually it's a recent (last 10 years or so) WMD thing. That doesn't happen downstate (and around the state) because those schools HAVE to play league games. So those schools are not lucky to be in 1A South. It's actually more advantageous to be in 1A West and cherry pick your schedule.

Last edited:
Friendship is good team, equivalent to a Maryland 1A school. Last year they finished #20 in the Washington Post poll and they didn't even win the DC league - they lost to an ordinary DC (non-charter) public school. They also can't "openly recruit" that's just a convenient excuse you came up with. People said the same thing about Dunbar last week and the guy from Baltimore debunked that nonsense. Also, I don't know about the arrangements they made with other schools they have played since 2013 - or why it's even important - I can speak on the agreement that FH broke to play a game this season.

But getting back to the original point. Lackey and Douglass have to play 4A powers on a regular basis, and they can't just drop them because they lost the previous year. I've heard some people here say all Maryland schools schedule for the playoffs but that's inaccurate. That's a WMD thing. And actually it's a recent (last 10 years or so) WMD thing. That doesn't happen downstate (and around the state) because those schools HAVE to play league games. So those schools are not lucky to be in 1A South. It's actually more advantageous to be in 1A West and cherry pick your schedule.

All those tough games played by Lackey and Douglass should prepare them well when they tackle the Cumberland schools. Ooops, or maybe not considering both are a combined 0-5 against FH. Now that's some good ole cherry pickin.

I'm not sure where you get your info other than your own fantasies, but the Lackey schedule is poor and pales in comparison to both Alco and FH. The toughest team they have was Huntingtown and they went 2-8 last year.

It's more advantageous to be in the 1A West than play in the 1A South - where there are only 7 teams and 3-6 teams make the playoff. LMAO

Last edited:
All those tough games played by Lackey and Douglass should prepare them well when they tackle the Cumberland schools. Ooops, or maybe not considering both are a combined 0-5 against FH. Now that's some good ole cherry pickin.

I'm not sure where you get your info other than your own fantasies, but the Lackey schedule is poor and pales in comparison to both Alco and FH. The toughest team they have was Huntingtown and they went 2-8 last year.

It's more advantageous to be in the 1A West than play in the 1A South - where there are only 7 teams and 3-6 teams make the playoff. LMAO

What are you babbling about now? LOL Douglass hasn't played a WMD school in 10 years. What does that have to do with anything? Everything I said is factual. Lackey offered to play FH in the off-season and you didn't return their phone calls. Is that a fantasy? You can find that thread on this message board. FH still hasn't defeated a Top 25 Maryland school in 10 years, is that one of my fantasies? LOL. That's easily researched. FH got beat by a 4-3 Friendship squad and then dropped them, is that another one of my fantasies? You probably made the phone call, LOL - Yes, it's more advantageous to play in WMD and pick your schedule and play Silver Oak, Capitol Christian and Maths every year. Lackey played 4A North Point in 2016. Douglass played 4A Flowers last year and again this season. When has FH or Alco played a team of that caliber?

And I want to point out this is another thread where people go off topic. The original post was about Lackey. I'm not sure why you even brought up Douglas or 3-6 Surrattsville?

What are you babbling about now? LOL Douglass hasn't played a WMD school in 10 years. What does that have to do with anything? Everything I said is factual. Lackey offered to play FH in the off-season and you didn't return their phone calls. Is that a fantasy? You can find that thread on this message board. FH still hasn't defeated a Top 25 Maryland school in 10 years, is that one of my fantasies? LOL. That's easily researched. FH got beat by a 4-3 Friendship squad and then dropped them, is that another one of my fantasies? You probably made the phone call, LOL - Yes, it's more advantageous to play in WMD and pick your schedule and play Silver Oak, Capitol Christian and Maths every year. Lackey played 4A North Point in 2016. Douglass played 4A Flowers last year and again this season. When has FH or Alco played a team of that caliber?

And I want to point out this is another thread where people go off topic. The original post was about Lackey. I'm not sure why you even brought up Douglas or 3-6 Surrattsville?

YOU BOUGHT UP THE SCHEDULE THING YET AGAIN. Go back and look.I was talking about the toughness of regions.

Then you continue to discuss MATHS, Silver Oak, Friendship, schedule stuff. No one else is, you are bringing it all up again for the 100th time. The only thing I can figure is the FH schedule thing must drive you mad. I don't give a damn if Lackey or Douglass plays the '66 Green Bay Packers in the regular season as long as they don't beat the Cumberland schools, which they have never done (see last year's state semifinal).

FYI, neither the Douglass nor Lackey schedule last year was tougher than Alco or FH. Do you want me to post the numbers again? OK - see strength of schedule final results: http://calpreps.com/2017/ratings/Maryland_division.htm

Only in your mind are they not and that is the true definition of fantasy. But what does it matter if Lackey can't beat FH?

Also FYI...if Douglass would have been 9-1 with the Alco schedule last year, Friendship would have been 10-0 with the Douglass schedule. They are still listed as a 2017 favorite over Flowers.

Last edited:
Lackey offered to play FH in the off-season and you didn't return their phone calls. Is that a fantasy? You can find that thread on this message board.

Is that the same as my begging Flowers multiple times for their advertised Week 1 opening last season but they didn't return my phone calls? You can also find that thread on this message board.

Which to make you really sound silly...Loyola (who FH scheduled instead of Lackey) is 16 points better than Lackey according to CalPreps. And they are.

You have no clue how these deals went down. None.

Last edited:
YOU BOUGHT UP THE SCHEDULE THING YET AGAIN. Go back and look.I was talking about the toughness of regions.

Then you continue to discuss MATHS, Silver Oak, Friendship, schedule stuff. No one else is, you are bringing it all up again for the 100th time. The only thing I can figure is the FH schedule thing must drive you mad. I don't give a damn if Lackey or Douglass plays the '66 Green Bay Packers in the regular season as long as they don't beat the Cumberland schools, which they have never done (see last year's state semifinal).

FYI, neither the Douglass nor Lackey schedule last year was tougher than Alco or FH. Do you want me to post the numbers again? OK - see strength of schedule final results: http://calpreps.com/2017/ratings/Maryland_division.htm

Only in your mind are they not and that is the true definition of fantasy. But what does it matter if Lackey can't beat FH?

Also FYI...if Douglass would have been 9-1 with the Alco schedule last year, Friendship would have been 10-0 with the Douglass schedule. They are still listed as a 2017 favorite over Flowers.

Just to keep the record clear, the original question was about Huntingtown. Which I answered and provided the link which was requested. For some reason you brought up Douglass, Surrattsville and Fairmont Heights, schools that don't even play in the SMAC. And I already said the field conditions contributed to the 4 turnovers. You basically added nothing to the conversation except to keep ranting about the MPSSAA. The original question asked about Huntingtown, he didn't ask about your feelings about the MPSSAA. Did the MPSSAA make you back out of the Friendship game? Most school have only played 1 or 2 games, he didn't ask you to break down the 1A playoff hunt.

And instead of just playing good teams on the field you love talking about Cal Preps and Max Preps, lol. You also know the Flowers game would have never been approved, they are currently ranked #22 in the state, and FH hasn't scheduled a top 25 team in 10 years.

And instead of just playing good teams on the field you love talking about Cal Preps and Max Preps, lol. You also know the Flowers game would have never been approved, they are currently ranked #22 in the state, and FH hasn't scheduled a top 25 team in 10 years.

Why do you put so much stock in the Media Top 25? It's meaningless. FH is a 1A MD school and for the first time, this season, they are playing, predominantly, a 1A schedule of many teams in their class........Lewis, Southern, Forest Park, Mtn. Ridge, Allegany, all teams they should be playing, mixing in a 4A Morgantown, a 3A (?) Hollidaysburg, a 4A (?) Loyola, although that one didn't get finished, and two 1A privates in Silver Oak & Capitol Christian. It's always nice to have a couple for-sure breathers. FH is a 1A school and by all means should play a 1A schedule.

What was Huntington Hurricanes record last season? I thought it was 2-7

That Huntingtown team could very well be the 1 or 2 seed in the 3A South this year at 9-1 or 8-2(possibly 10-0 if they get by North Point). They only won 2 games last year but had a young team and hung with every team they played and I don’t believe they lost any game by more than 14 points.

Why do you put so much stock in the Media Top 25? It's meaningless. FH is a 1A MD school and for the first time, this season, they are playing, predominantly, a 1A schedule of many teams in their class........Lewis, Southern, Forest Park, Mtn. Ridge, Allegany, all teams they should be playing, mixing in a 4A Morgantown, a 3A (?) Hollidaysburg, a 4A (?) Loyola, although that one didn't get finished, and two 1A privates in Silver Oak & Capitol Christian. It's always nice to have a couple for-sure breathers. FH is a 1A school and by all means should play a 1A schedule.

I agree with you 100%, in fact I said in August it was a fair schedule for a 1A team. To understand why we are even talking about the Media Top 25 please read from the beginning of this thread and tell me who went way off topic.

That Huntingtown team could very well be the 1 or 2 seed in the 3A South this year at 9-1 or 8-2(possibly 10-0 if they get by North Point). They only won 2 games last year but had a young team and hung with every team they played and I don’t believe they lost any game by more than 14 points.

Exactly, as I said previously, they are the second best team in the SMAC, and like you said they will be highly seeded in the 3A South.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT