ADVERTISEMENT

JV football: Huskies @ Miners

I may dread having to say this. And please, I mean this out of total respect for Northern and Phil Carr. No one has more respect from other coaches in this area than Coach Carr.

However, I was at the Northern D1 youth league game at Greenway on Sunday against the Patriots (64-0 final score). Northern had 15 players grades 6-8. They are the only CAYFL team that does not field a D2 squad. The past few years have been that low in numbers. Unfortunately the scoreboard reflects the difficulties about to come for Northern.

I'm told Phil Carr is close to the end of his tenured football coaching career. I fear the Huskies are going to have an extremely difficult time fielding a varsity football team in 2-3 years. There definitely is not likely going to be a JV team. I believe this season may be their last hoorah in regards to being remotely competitive and I base this on roster size and what I have seen at their lower levels. If you have 15 players through three grades I have no idea how you deal with it. That is where Hancock comes from and it's not easy.

I'm hoping Northern can find a way to reverse the course. Southern is trying. I have nothing but respect for all Garrett County football coaches at all levels. God Bless them for trying to keep football alive. Northern is going to face what Southern had to endure last season and Coach Carr most likely can't be there.

Phil Carr is to Garrett County football what Tom Bosley was to Garrett County basketball. That's a huge compliment to both of those coaches.

Last edited:
I may dread having to say this. And please, I mean this out of total respect for Northern and Phil Carr. No one has more respect from other coaches in this area than Coach Carr.

However, I was at the Northern D1 youth league game at Greenway on Sunday against the Patriots (64-0 final score). Northern had 15 players grades 6-8. They are the only CAYFL team that does not field a D2 squad. The past few years have been that low in numbers. Unfortunately the scoreboard reflects the difficulties about to come for Northern.

I'm told Phil Carr is close to the end of his tenured football coaching career. I fear the Huskies are going to have an extremely difficult time fielding a varsity football team in 2-3 years. There definitely is not likely going to be a JV team. I believe this season may be their last hoorah in regards to being remotely competitive and I base this on roster size and what I have seen at their lower levels. If you have 15 players through three grades I have no idea how you deal with it. That is where Hancock comes from and it's not easy.

I'm hoping Northern can find a way to reverse the course. Southern is trying. I have nothing but respect for all Garrett County football coaches at all levels. God Bless them for trying to keep football alive. Northern is going to face what Southern had to endure last season and Coach Carr most likely can't be there.

Phil Carr is to Garrett County football what Tom Bosley was to Garrett County basketball. That's a huge compliment to both of those coaches.

Maybe Northern needs the change at the top if for no other reason than change. There seems to be more enthusiasm at Southern with the new coach. Now it may take them 3-4+ years to get back to competitive status, but at least the arrow seems to be pointed up.

Reactions: ravemwp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT