ADVERTISEMENT

How quickly things change

bleedred

Franchise Poster
Oct 16, 2001
Just hours ago I know that I was thinking that Northern had a decent shot at getting into the playoffs this year. Now I'll say that they'll need plenty of help. I think that everyone knew that they would lose to Alco tonight, I didn't think that they would have folded like they did. The two shockers of the night were the Carroll County schools. The good news for Northern is that MV lost tonight. The really bad news is that NC upset Westminster. This puts Northern well behind the top four with two games left. Unfortunately for Northern, their remaining games don't offer a lot of extra points. BS has 2 wins, and Southern is 0 for the year. So those teams are currently worth 12 points. Northern should be setting around 37 points after tonight and the 12 would put them somewhere around 51. If the teams that they've beaten, including the next two go 500, well concede 6 additional points. That would allow Northern to finish with around 57 points. NC should be around 56 points after this week end. If they do lose the rest of the way, they are still going to pick up a bonus point or two along the way so they should be out of Northern's reach. MV should be around 4 total points ahead of Northern this week. They have FSK next week and then NC. I still think that they beat both, but a loss to NC might allow Northern to jump ahead of them and right now, NC may be the better team. That leaves us Alco. The fact that Alco has played one less game than Northern really helps matters. (The total points look close but they're really not.) Alco has Towson next week and they are worth a ton of points. Add the fact that Northern has to win and each time they do, Alco receives an additional point. A win over Towson would just about seal the deal for a playoff spot for Alco.

Having said all that, it looks like there are three teams going after two remaining playoff spots in the 1A West. Alco and MV can control their fates. Northern needs help and may be on the outside looking in.

I know Towson has played a lot of cupcakes but they do have a winning record.."things could change quickly"

ALCO does not have a win over a team above .500

Look for alco to look ahead to Fort Hill and get shocked..

Aside from Fort Hill and Southern, the 1A West hasn't been consistent all season.

Re: Alco moves to #3

Would not be surprised if FH and Alco finished No. 1 and No. 2 in
the region after Week 10 is done. Which by the way, I have run the point
totals already for this week.

1. FH
2. North Carroll
3. Alco
4. Manchester Valley (lost to Liberty)

THE NOT SO GOOD LIST

How does Smithsburg beat North Hagerstown 41-14? Wow.

North and South Hagerstown are going in completely opposite directions. Brunswick is far removed from the teams that came up here and battled FH in the 2011 and 2012 playoffs.

Also Hedgesville is just lost. Losing to Hampshire 66-6. Southern would beat Hedgesville - a school with over 1500 kids.

"Southern would beat Hedgesville - a school with over 1500 kids."

So size really doesn't matter?
ohwell.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT