ADVERTISEMENT

Has football practice started??

Red Dude

Blue Chip Poster
Aug 18, 2004
I thought it was to start the 13th but I haven't heard anything from anybody. Figured there'd be some chatter. I realize it's not quite the same, but it's still football!!

It started Saturday. I am glad that the kids will be back on the field but I hearing that some of the kids will not be playing. (Doesn't matter what the reason is, it's between the kids and their parents.) I'm thinking that it's going to be interesting to see how the Coaches are going to treat these four games. Will they treat it like a season, or will they treat these next few weeks as a spring type of camp and start getting ready for next year? It will be interesting and hey, we get to watch some football!

I'm confused to why they would even play with only 3 Teams playing in the first place.
What's the point in playing 2 other teams twice.
All the other states around us are playing basketball.

I'm confused to why they would even play with only 3 Teams playing in the first place.
I have to agree. I can't believe how the BOE basically just said screw basketball. If I had a child in school who played basketball I would be furious.

The point was not about a schedule. It was solely about getting students active again. If anyone tries to look at this as a football season and wins/losses instead of a spring training situation, then you're just bound to be disappointed. Any game is totally irrelevant. However, the BOE screwed up royally by trying to make outdoor sports a February situation. They should have just done winter sports indoors first.

Soccer and football practices have been in the gym since Saturday. Today was the first day FH football practiced outside on the turf. Alco had the field 30 minutes after. More snow coming though. There is no way to prepare a team to start playing games in 3 weeks in the gym for either sport. Although much of the rest of the state including Frederick County, Anne Arundel, Baltimore, etc are also doing fall sports during this timeline as that was the timeline the MPSSAA set forth for those interested in doing so. So much of the bad decision making starts with the MPSSAA skeleton crew still working.

I was big time in favor of the "getting active" concept. Just should have made it winter sports, then fall, then spring (which should be played through the summer months).

Was told by parent Alco doesn't have enough jv players so fh and mridge will have to play eachnother 3 times. But that was hearsay. maybe someone at alco can find out.

Was told by parent Alco doesn't have enough jv players so fh and mridge will have to play eachnother 3 times. But that was hearsay. maybe someone at alco can find out.
You are correct. Allegany will only field a varsity team for the four game schedule. From what I hear they had enough kids for a JV team but the academics requirements have taken a toll on both JV and Varsity players.

You are correct. Allegany will only field a varsity team for the four game schedule. From what I hear they had enough kids for a JV team but the academics requirements have taken a toll on both JV and Varsity players.
That might be even sadder than if they just didn't have the numbers.

Since Alco folded the JV program for this spring, FH and Mountain Ridge will play each other 3 times. It is what it is.

I totally agree about these games. I really hate the fact that Alco will not have a jv team. Personally, I would have liked to see them put two teams on the field with each having a couple of subs. I'd rather see more kids on the field than have a bunch of kids standing on the sidelines. These games will not be much more than glorified scrimmages. Get the kids as much game-like experience as possible.

Reactions: Jailerman
How many true varsity players (not including the kids moving up from JV) did Alco have come out? It breaks my heart that the Allegany program has dwindled away.

How many true varsity players (not including the kids moving up from JV) did Alco have come out? It breaks my heart that the Allegany program has dwindled away.
Allegany has 32 varsity players and 28 Jv / Freshmen players. Not sure how many will dress for these 4 games. Some have been disqualified by grades and some have opted out. Expect 40 or so dressing in the next 5 weeks. I am not complaining. At least it is some high school football which I did not expect until the real 2021 season in August.

Allegany has 32 varsity players and 28 Jv / Freshmen players. Not sure how many will dress for these 4 games. Some have been disqualified by grades and some have opted out. Expect 40 or so dressing in the next 5 weeks. I am not complaining. At least it is some high school football which I did not expect until the real 2021 season in August.
Thanks for the info. 32 isn’t bad. Back when I played, we had strong numbers in the freshman and JV teams, but even varsity didn’t have much more than 35-40 players. I’m really hoping that Hansel can get kids interested in playing and start at least being competitive with FH again.

This will finally show the area that football is just another club or activity for kids to join and do. It is NOT the center of the universe!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT