ADVERTISEMENT

Governor reopens schools...

Redwhite90

Varsity Poster
Oct 17, 2017
So what does this mean for fall sports? The MPSSA has already cancelled them but now will they reconsider? And Md football would already be weeks behind WV schools... how would they compete early on?

Why not? The Big Ten is reconsidering playing football with reports they might play starting in November. If Frankfort and Keyser can play there is no reason Alco/FH/MR can't have a shortened season starting in October. My dream of a Turkey Day game is not totally dead yet! Might be on life support but a little bit of hope coming from the MD Governor yesterday.

My guess is that MD. will see how it goes for WV in regards to school and fall sports. They will base their decision on the success of WV's opening.

Yes, no sense in playing under those terms not knowing if you will play from week to week and almost have not playing

The MPSSAA will announce this week or early next week the new plans for moving forward. Now on the table is a new two semester plan for sports - that means games can be played in the 1st semester. The plan is waiting for approval from the MSDE (State Dept. of Ed). The current plan is only for games the second semester (starting Feb 1).

I am going to post the current plan that is in place below.

Garrett County public schools begin practicing Sept 14 (Monday). They are also permitted to scrimmage - but no official games played. If any Maryland county wishes to implement the same plan it is already approved by the MPSSAA and the MSDE and teams can start practicing and conditioning this coming Monday. But I don't see Allegany County being forward enough to implement such thinking. If the plan was put into effect...Alco, FH and Moutain Ridge could begin practice with any sport and start scrimmaging each other in addition to Northern and Southern.

Here is the current MPSSAA plan for all sports. Football would start practice March 15 with 5 games being played between April 5 and May 8.

SEASON 1 - Sport Season Winter

February 1 - February 21, 2021 - Sport Season Practice and Reconditioning.

February 22 - March 27, 2021 - Sport Competition Season.

5 - weeks of interscholastic athletic competition available.

SEASON 2 - Sport Season Fall

March 15 - April 4, 2021 - Sport Season Practice and Reconditioning.

April 5 - May 8, 2021 - Sport Competition Season.

SEASON 3 - Sport Season Spring

April 26 - May 16, 2021 - Sport Season Practice and Reconditioning.

May 17 - June 19, 2021 - Sport Competition Season.

Ugh, not my call.... but... maybe students should just show up at school each day.... learn by protesting about not being in class while having class... and... practice protest football and then protest play. Sort of like... protest at being educated and then protest at playing athletics. Then again... there would have to be some teachers who care to participate. Here is a student who showed up for class.....

Then.... they had him arrested!!! Obviously, this was done to make an example of him; whereas, it wouldn't happen if his entire class showed up.... shows the general run of youths today... okay to mob in the streets but not protest at school...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT