ADVERTISEMENT

Game on Atlantic BB?

They did last year...but I was in Baltimore for that game. This year I can't go...and I'll be stuck with radio coverage!

Of course, Atlantic BB cares about local football fans...right Steelers fans?

I hope I'm wrong...would love to watch it live. Remember back in the 80's watching Alco live on MPT.

"Thats allot of work to just do you a favor"....

Every year, I make my appeal to MPSSAA to allow us to delay-televise the championship game on local cable like we used to do before they sold the rights to Sinclair Broadcasting. Once again this year, they referred me to Sinclair.

This year's conversation with Sinclair's general manager was a 15 minute appeal where I explained that our local delayed broadcast with local sponsors would in no way interfere with the national and regional sponsors that they get for their live telecast. Our viewers are accustomed to the delayed broadcast being available on Atlantic Channel 20 with local announcers that know the team. Not carving out an exception for CVS to do a local delayed broadcast means that an entire season of broadcasts is halted on the final game of the year and creates a negative image of Sinclair / CW Network and the MPSSAA. I also reminded them that although they have exclusive broadcast rights, others are contracted with MPSSAA to stream the game live.

We discussed how difficult it can be to locate the Sinclair live broadcast on ABB, as they have dumped it on any available network with little notice. I think Marion Berry's funeral was mentioned by me. I was assured that it would be easy to find this year. Where? "on Comet TV, it's on a sub-channel" he said.

I explained to him that at this point, to the best of my knowledge, ABB does not provide "Comet TV", so largest following in the state gets no cable coverage of the local team. Their sponsors must be elated.

I asked what it might cost to give us an exception and he considered out-loud how an agreement might be reached but concluded that - quote - "that's allot of work to just do you a favor" and he said no to my request.

2 things to consider.

1-Atlantic BB is not at fault here. "Comet TV" was just launched. ABB may not have interest in providing a Sci-Fi rerun channel, regardless if it can be received by them. (I'm not sure if they can receive it or not). Atlantic re-distributed last year's championship game on Channel 20 at their time and expense. Believe me, if they can provide it, they will. There are many factors to make that happen, if it is even possible.

2- MPSSAA Is doing a good thing by getting all 4 of the games televised. The problem, which I have tried to explain to them is that there should be an exception in the rights contract for local tv coverage of a Western Maryland team since western md cable companies may not carry the Baltimore stations.

Last edited:
They don't care about Western Maryland.
Apply that sentence to just about anything. What works for the population centers is all that matters in every facet of life, not just high school sports. Since Cumberland does not get a live broadcast on satellite or cable of the title games, it is very easy to just say go ahead CVS and televise the game. It's literally that easy and is not work at all.

I would personally try to help fight this "televised" battle but I already deal with too many of such things with Maryland and the MPSSAA. We can't even get the MPSSAA to acknowledge signed contracts. SIGNED CONTRACTS!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT