ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill vs Mountain Ridge: Football History

CumberlandHSFB

All County Poster
Dec 13, 2018
Friday’s game in Frostburg marks another big matchup between the schools even if their slightly down compared to years previous. I thought I would compile a little bit of the history between the 2. Should note that I didn’t include the games played during the actual pandemic times.

ALL-TIME RECORD-
FH is 19-1 against Mountain Ridge. That record includes 4 postseason wins. The west region title game in 2010, and the last 3 state championship games. The average score for FH-MR over the history sits at around 40-11 so just under 30
points. However the games from the last 3 years have an average score of 32-27 FH. Mostly because of the disparity in the two 2022 outcomes.

Memorable Matchups-
1) 2008: FH blocks a field goal attempt at the gun to win the second ever meeting with Mountain Ridge 24-21. Kept a 7 win Miner team out of the postseason, and allowed FH to move towards an eventual title game loss

2) 2011: The Snow Game. Anyone who was there remembers it. Both teams were undefeated and they had played twice the year before. I don’t think they could’ve fit more people in the joint that night. The game failed to live up to the hype though as FH dominated after the 1st quarter and won 41-0. “Our Ridge Tops Your Hill”

3) 2018: 13 carries, 3 yards. Mountain Ridge’s best team in 7 years and perhaps their best individual player ever traveled to Greenway riding a 6 game winning streak in another highly anticipated game. It again failed to live up to expectations as an All-Time FH defense dominated all night long allowing less than 50 yards of total offense and a single first down that wasn’t surrendered until late 4th quarter. Ridge would miss the playoffs and FH would coast to a 5th championship in 6 years.

4) 2021: All Area In Annapolis. For years people wanted to have the potential of seeing area teams play each other for a state title and we got it in 2021. It marked MR’s first title game appearance and the first state championship game as a head coach for Zack Alkire. FH won a regular season meeting by 30 points, and would win the state title game in a 51-31 shootout.

5) 2022: Finally. It took 15 years, but Mountain Ridge was finally able to get the monkey off their back. For a night at least. Both teams were again undefeated and again favored to play each other for a state title later in the year. Mountain Ridge rode an energetic home crowd and a physical style of play to a 30-8 drubbing of Fort Hill to hand them their first loss to an area team since losing to Keyser in 2015. FH would win the state championship rematch on a last second field goal.

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with some of the other Frostburg folks on here. Mtn Ridge has had some solid teams, but to me the 2022 squad was the best I have seen from top to bottom. At Beall or Mtn Ridge.

QB made that offense so balanced. But it was the defense that was so impressive as well. Every unit had no weakness.

I'm going to agree with some of the other Frostburg folks on here. Mtn Ridge has had some solid teams, but to me the 2022 squad was the best I have seen from top to bottom. At Beall or Mtn Ridge.

QB made that offense so balanced. But it was the defense that was so impressive as well. Every unit had no weakness.
Oh yeah that’s definitely their best team. They had other great players like Harper and Pua’ali that allowed them to have some good seasons, and I know they had some good years in the 90’s/00’s, but that was their most complete team. Honestly if they play FH ten times that year I think they win more than they lose.

Reactions: CrickRat23
Oh yeah that’s definitely their best team. They had other great players like Harper and Pua’ali that allowed them to have some good seasons, and I know they had some good years in the 90’s/00’s, but that was their most complete team. Honestly if they play FH ten times that year I think they win more than they lose. I

I was so frustrated as a Fort Hill fan watching that state championship game. It was utterly ridiculous how Mountain Ridge stacked the whole defense in the box and Fort Hill would not even throw a screen pass.. On the winning drive they finally threw a swing pass that was obviously wide open and set up the winning field goal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT