ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill 36 | Northern 7 | Final

Yea, the away bleachers was a horrible view. 50 yard line at the top and still too low and far away from the field. New turf looks great though. Had to have a sweatshirt on when the sun went down. That felt really good. Good ole Garrett County weather was what the heat doctor ordered. The breeze going up your shirt/shorts gave nice goosebumps, Ooooo Wee! LOL.

Northern has some descent size in the middle and at RB. The soph QB will eventually be a good one. They were just completely at a disadvantage in the speed department. At times it looked like the Northern defenders were standing still as the FH back ran by.

Coach Carr was quoted in the paper, and I think he was correct, saying if you don't stop FH at the line of scrimmage it's dangerous. A deep list of ball carriers are very dangerous once they get into the linebackers/safeties. Willis is faster than last year. Allen looks just like he did last time he played in 8th grade...could be touch football and they can't get him. His shiftiness is flawless. Put the comparison this way...his open field abilities are every bit as good as his clutch 3 point shooting. If the game is on the line, yea you want the ball in his hands for a big play. Both Mikey Allen and Tavin Willis have the ability to play D1 level ball.

On the same token, Carter Hess can make a highlight film out of every game. If he isn't a P5 scholarship player then college football recruiting is crooked. The opposing coaches near and far will tell you the same.

Someone asked me if this was the fasted FH team I've ever seen. That's a tough call when considering the ole days of Trimble/Peck type stand outs. But this may be the deepest set of speed backs I've seen in a while. Willis, Allen, Wertz, Palmisano, Daniels and Jones. Then throw in Welsh and Spencer at FB. All of these cats could start for any area football team. That doesn't even account for the fact Saiquan could have been in this line up. #LLQ

THE FH FULLBACK
FH coaches chose to put Wertz at fullback a good bit. Not sure why exactly but I'm sure many things were held back in this game with Old Mill up next and maybe other players were getting some rest coming off some scrimmage bumps and bruises. Just assumptions by me. Wertz was the work horse too in terms of carries. He hits the hole hard at 165 lbs but he is not a prototypical fullback. Although the FH fullback is not really a prototypical fullback. He is more a runner than a blocker. A very key position in this offense if not the biggest key. Well maybe even that is an understatement. Names like Blake White, Carson Snyder, Carter Swan, Troy Banks, Raen Smith, DeKarai Darr -- and that's just in the last ten years. All of them took home an Area Player of The Year award.

I liked how FH is trying to use the quick hit pass to the sideline to get speedy backs into open space. It's nothing more than a quick pitch really. On the negative side, the FH receivers just don't get the reps in the passing game. It shows every season. And it showed through the scrimmages. The routes are not crisp and full speed. When the QB scrambles they stop the route and watch. They have two guys running 20 yard routes (a 30 yard throw for the QB) with no receiver short over the middle. And many times there are two receivers within 5 yards of each other. It's hard to rep out of in practice. I don't know if a receiver is running the wrong route but they need to work on spacing the secondary. The current FH shortened practice field has not been much help either.

I have not seen film on Old Mill. They had a ton of seniors last year but they also had an undefeated JV team according to Coach Alkire. Maryland is divided into 6 classes now. Old Mill is a big 6A school. They shut out North County yesterday and surely have this FH game circled. For the first time since I can remember, the JV game will start at 4:30 followed by varsity. I like the Friday double header. If it goes well maybe they can consider getting more of those. The only issue is you lose the gate for the JV game. So I'm thinking not. Enjoy this double header.

Last edited:
Yea, the away bleachers was a horrible view. 50 yard line at the top and still too low and far away from the field. New turf looks great though. Had to have a sweatshirt on when the sun went down. That felt really good. Good ole Garrett County weather was what the heat doctor ordered. The breeze going up your shirt/shorts gave nice goosebumps, Ooooo Wee! LOL.

Northern has some descent size in the middle and at RB. The soph QB will eventually be a good one. They were just completely at a disadvantage in the speed department. At times it looked like the Northern defenders were standing still as the FH back ran by.

Coach Carr was quoted in the paper, and I think he was correct, saying if you don't stop FH at the line of scrimmage it's dangerous. A deep list of ball carriers are very dangerous once they get into the linebackers/safeties. Willis is faster than last year. Allen looks just like he did last time he played in 8th grade...could be touch football and they can't get him. His shiftiness is flawless. Put the comparison this way...his open field abilities are every bit as good as his clutch 3 point shooting. If the game is on the line, yea you want the ball in his hands for a big play. Both Mikey Allen and Tavin Willis have the ability to play D1 level ball.

On the same token, Carter Hess can make a highlight film out of every game. If he isn't a P5 scholarship player then college football recruiting is crooked. The opposing coaches near and far will tell you the same.

Someone asked me if this was the fasted FH team I've ever seen. That's a tough call when considering the ole days of Trimble/Peck type stand outs. But this may be the deepest set of speed backs I've seen in a while. Willis, Allen, Wertz, Palmisano, Daniels and Jones. Then throw in Welsh and Spencer at FB. All of these cats could start for any area football team. That doesn't even account for the fact Saiquan could have been in this line up. #LLQ

THE FH FULLBACK
FH coaches chose to put Wertz at fullback a good bit. Not sure why exactly but I'm sure many things were held back in this game with Old Mill up next and maybe other players were getting some rest coming off some scrimmage bumps and bruises. Just assumptions by me. Wertz was the work horse too in terms of carries. He hits the hole hard at 165 lbs but he is not a prototypical fullback. Although the FH fullback is not really a prototypical fullback. He is more a runner than a blocker. A very key position in this offense if not the biggest key. Well maybe even that is an understatement. Names like Blake White, Carson Snyder, Carter Swan, Troy Banks, Raen Smith, DeKarai Darr -- and that's just in the last ten years. All of them took home an Area Player of The Year award.

I liked how FH is trying to use the quick hit pass to the sideline to get speedy backs into open space. It's nothing more than a quick pitch really. On the negative side, the FH receivers just don't get the reps in the passing game. It shows every season. And it showed through the scrimmages. The routes are not crisp and full speed. When the QB scrambles they stop the route and watch. They have two guys running 20 yard routes (a 30 yard throw for the QB) with no receiver short over the middle. And many times there are two receivers within 5 yards of each other. It's hard to rep out of in practice. I don't know if a receiver is running the wrong route but they need to work on spacing the secondary. The current FH shortened practice field has not been much help either.

I have not seen film on Old Mill. They had a ton of seniors last year but they also had an undefeated JV team according to Coach Alkire. Maryland is divided into 6 classes now. Old Mill is a big 6A school. They shut out North County yesterday and surely have this FH game circled. For the first time since I can remember, the JV game will start at 4:30 followed by varsity. I like the Friday double header. If it goes well maybe they can consider getting more of those. The only issue is you lose the gate for the JV game. So I'm thinking not. Enjoy this double header.
Played against that Trimble /Peck team. What people fail to remember until he was stricken with mono late in the season QB Mark Paupe was just as fast as the other two. I see this years team as having more speed depth and overall team speed then that 75 team. After Trimble/Peck/Paupe, there wasn't much speed, but damn that team was really good.

Reactions: Tony54
With much, much respect for Lyle Peck and Mark Paupe, Steve Trimble was at least two steps in front of both in a 100 yard dash.

Trimble typically ran both hurdle events and did the LJ and TJ during track season.

Peck typically ran the 100 and 220 yard dashes. I believe Paupe ran in the same events and in the relays with Peck. Both were very fast.

To put things in perspective as to how much faster Trimble was, he blew away Peck and Fulton Walker and Norman Green of Martinsburg in a dual meet.

Martinsburg was loaded with distance runners and Walker and Green were terrific sprinters. Keep in mind, Walker went to WVU on a football scholarship and Green went to Kentucky on a football scholarship (as short-lived as it was). Keep in mind, too, at one time Walker had the longest kick-off return (99 yards) for a TD in the Super Bowl when he played for the Miami Dolphins.

The bulldogs did not have very good hurdlers.

Coach Lattimer pulled Trimble out of both hurdle events and put him in the 100 and 200 yard dashes. He won both with a comfortable margin as far as sprints go.

For about 15 years after Trimble graduated from high school, he was listed as a top ten all-time/all classification performer in both the 120 yard high hurdles and the 330 yard intermediate hurdles in MD.

I am convinced Steve Trimble could have been a superb DI decathlete. He was that talented, committed to excellence, coachable, and competitive.

I am glad to see FH players being compared and contrasted with the likes of Trimble, Peck, and Paupe.

I wish them the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony54
With much, much respect for Lyle Peck and Mark Paupe, Steve Trimble was at least two steps in front of both in a 100 yard dash.

Trimble typically ran both hurdle events and did the LJ and TJ during track season.

Peck typically ran the 100 and 220 yard dashes. I believe Paupe ran in the same events and in the relays with Peck. Both were very fast.

To put things in perspective as to how much faster Trimble was, he blew away Peck and Fulton Walker and Norman Green of Martinsburg in a dual meet.

Martinsburg was loaded with distance runners and Walker and Green were terrific sprinters. Keep in mind, Walker went to WVU on a football scholarship and Green went to Kentucky on a football scholarship (as short-lived as it was). Keep in mind, too, at one time Walker had the longest kick-off return (99 yards) for a TD in the Super Bowl when he played for the Miami Dolphins.

The bulldogs did not have very good hurdlers.

Coach Lattimer pulled Trimble out of both hurdle events and put him in the 100 and 200 yard dashes. He won both with a comfortable margin as far as sprints go.

For about 15 years after Trimble graduated from high school, he was listed as a top ten all-time/all classification performer in both the 120 yard high hurdles and the 330 yard intermediate hurdles in MD.

I am convinced Steve Trimble could have been a superb DI decathlete. He was that talented, committed to excellence, coachable, and competitive.

I am glad to see FH players being compared and contrasted with the likes of Trimble, Peck, and Paupe.

I wish them the best!
I absolutely 100 percent couldn't agree with you more. In my opinion Steve Trimble may have been the best ever all-around athlete to come out of Cumberland. Everyone knew about football, but you are correct about his prowess in track and field. It sometimes went unnoticed by most being that track wasn't that much of a spectator sport then. If I remember correctly in those days high schoolers could only participate in 4 events per meet. Steve was the fastest high schooler in Western Maryland, as well as the best hurdler, and jumper. He won all of his events locally, having Peck/Paupe in most cases they both finished in the top three in the sprints and relays. As the years have passed some have probably forgotten that Steve was a terrific basketball, and baseball player. I remember the more he dedicated himself to football and track the less time he had to devote to the other sports, and if I remember correctly stopped playing both his senior year. I believe if his parents would have put a golf club or tennis racket in his hand he would have been the best in the area in those also. It wasn't fun to compete against that group but they sure were fun to watch. After watching Mikey Allen play basketball, and now football, and hearing some people say that he was the best youth baseball player his age before he gave it up reminds me of my old friend Steve (RIP). I hope this young man has the same kind of successes

Last edited:
Reactions: MCsoccerplex
ADVERTISEMENT