ADVERTISEMENT

For the 1st time ever....

Red Dude

Blue Chip Poster
Aug 18, 2004
FH and Alco BOTH finish the season undefeated!! Albeit 1-0, but undefeated IS undefeated. Sad, ain't it??

• Haha
Reactions: Jailerman
I have a feeling they are going to resume the season in the spring.

Just curious, how many people on the board will take the vaccine in January or whenever it becomes available? I’m not asking people to restate their political viewpoints. Before play can resume it looks like the kids and coaches will have to take the vaccine

Just curious, how many people on the board will take the vaccine in January or whenever it becomes available? I’m not asking people to restate their political viewpoints. Before play can resume it looks like the kids and coaches will have to take the vaccine
I would take it just because I am older and have other problems to go with it. It has to end somewhere so why not try something that at least gives us some hope. I thing it would be a good thing for teachers first, then students. As far as the season continuing in February or so, I think we need to take what we had and call it a season and start anew in August on a normal schedule. Trying to get football and basketball going all at the same time won't work due to student numbers as it is. Baseball and track have the best possible chance just due the time before they can start. However, this is all moot if the numbers don't come down and soon. Just my thoughts! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Harleydeuce
I'm shocked that Jailer didn't catch this. While Red has a good thought, it's not exactly true. Fort Hill and Alco finished the 1948 season at 9 -0 -1. The final score was 7 to 7. I won't go into alot of depth here but you should check out the rosters of both teams. Both teams carried some great names. Throw in that there were no facemasks at that time, and I'll say that it was probably the greatest game of the series. Wouldn't it be cool if Commercial Video could air a replay of that one!

Reactions: cumbfanatic
I'm shocked that Jailer didn't catch this. While Red has a good thought, it's not exactly true. Fort Hill and Alco finished the 1948 season at 9 -0 -1. The final score was 7 to 7. I won't go into alot of depth here but you should check out the rosters of both teams. Both teams carried some great names. Throw in that there were no facemasks at that time, and I'll say that it was probably the greatest game of the series. Wouldn't it be cool if Commercial Video could air a replay of that one!
Well Bleedred, long time no hear from. Hope all is well with you. However, the 1948 Alco and Fort Hill game ended in a 6-6 tie vs. 7-7. Earle Bruce scored on a 22 yard pass from John Vernall and the PAT was missed. Fort Hill's John Alderton scored on a 17 yard pass from Ronnie Cage and they too, missed the PAT.
You are correct on the participants in that game...a who's who in Cumberland for the coming decades.
First of coaches Pence and Hahn were running the show.
As far as some of the players goes, how about these; Ends John Vernall, Alco, Glenn Burke, FH. Centers Jim Ruehl, Alco and Charles Lattimer FH. Running backs Earle Bruce and Wes Abrams, Alco. Ed Tucker and Larry McKenzie FH. John Alderton and Marvin Luttrell FH and Gordon Swan and Dale Hounshell Alco.
Yes there were many others, but those mentioned previously were the All Area Selections for 1948
Just to take this one step further, some of the players for 1949 who also played in the 48' game were; George Schoenadel, Herb Sarver, Lynn Beightol, Roy Manges and Mike Pratt for FH. Allegany had Tom Oglebay, Donnie Lease, Jack Bopp and Blaine Morton. All these names are people that helped make Cumberland and Allegany county what it is today. Sorry so long, but I love this stuff... :oops:

I stand corrected!!

Jailer, it's been a long year and a half for me but let's face it, we're not as young as springtime anymore. I am trying to stay out of the politics on the board. Don't get me wrong, I love to talk politics, and argue ideologies, but in todays world, it seems that people just can't disagree without someone being a bad person. My family is mixed between the R's and the D's, and yet we can all get along and love and support each other. Keep in mind that none of us will ever find one other person who will think the way we do on everything.

Anyway, I'll be happy to get this site back on the topic of football, and, hopefully, there's plenty to talk about locally, even though we only got one game into the books. Kudos to Red for opening the door.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT