ADVERTISEMENT

Football to restart?

Isnt the BOE to decide today?
Tonight the proverbial sheet will hit the fan. People are fed up with the board of Ed constantly being two steps behind everyone else and always waiting for someone else to make a decision. We here in Maryland are in the middle of states that do and have allowed sports and even school to return and yet...here we are waiting, dragging our feet again when the world passes us buy. I believe one board member in particular will get an ear full to night...and rightfully so! :oops:

At this point in time it can't be concern for the students. Good luck clearing the air of mendacity.

It was unanimously approved by the BOE. All Allegany County fall sports can begin Oct. 7.

First game Oct 27 - Dec 19
For football that means 8 games - no playoffs.

I suspect Garrett County will be on the same page. Hoping Washington County can get there soon.

Next hurdle is only 250 people permitted in the stadium. And that includes players and coaches. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: hbpass2
It was unanimously approved by the BOE. All Allegany County fall sports can begin Oct. 7.

First game Oct 27 - Dec 19
For football that means 8 games - no playoffs.

I suspect Garrett County will be on the same page. Hoping Washington County can get there soon.

Next hurdle is only 250 people permitted in the stadium. And that includes players and coaches. Should be interesting.

Band???? Anyhow, congrats to those in the community to get this done.

Band???? Anyhow, congrats to those in the community to get this done.

Let's hope so. Many clarifications needed. One thing at a time and this vote just to get practicing and playing again was the biggest.

On a band note, the owner of my business building is Allegany HS band director Larry Jackson (yes I pay him rent haha). I do bounce things off him quite a bit even though we generally share political disagreements in good taste. Being a teacher for many, many years, he was against classrooms to start for students. But he was not opposed to activities. He felt being outdoors in small groups where social distancing was not such an issue made it safe to him to teach his band. Like everyone else, that was not permitted. The problem now for him and his students now is much the same as every sports team - 3 weeks to prepare. My suggestion was to just teach the kids a couple of songs and let them have some fun.

Let's hope so. Many clarifications needed. One thing at a time and this vote just to get practicing and playing again was the biggest.

On a band note, the owner of my business building is Allegany HS band director Larry Jackson (yes I pay him rent haha). I do bounce things off him quite a bit even though we generally share political disagreements in good taste. Being a teacher for many, many years, he was against classrooms to start for students. But he was not opposed to activities. He felt being outdoors in small groups where social distancing was not such an issue made it safe to him to teach his band. Like everyone else, that was not permitted. The problem now for him and his students now is much the same as every sports team - 3 weeks to prepare. My suggestion was to just teach the kids a couple of songs and let them have some fun.

They could form what we used to call a 'pep band' that plays for the cheerleaders, team and parents. They could even do a simple formation on the field and play a few songs. It gives them something to do..... sense of community and all that. (I will not get into the classroom issue.)

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what type of schedule pans out. A lot will depend on what Garrett and Washington County decides. It could be strictly Allegany and Garrett Counties playing one another. With it being a home and away for each school. I would personally like them to get Smithsburg, Boonsboro, Williamsport and Clear Spring on board and there you have your 8 games. It is going to be hard to include Wash Co schools because they could fill their schedule with just other county schools.

Even though there is a lot that still needs to happen for everything to work out... I am just very happy to see them try and get it done.

It will be interesting to see what type of schedule pans out. A lot will depend on what Garrett and Washington County decides. It could be strictly Allegany and Garrett Counties playing one another. With it being a home and away for each school. I would personally like them to get Smithsburg, Boonsboro, Williamsport and Clear Spring on board and there you have your 8 games. It is going to be hard to include Wash Co schools because they could fill their schedule with just other county schools.

Even though there is a lot that still needs to happen for everything to work out... I am just very happy to see them try and get it done.
Much of this plan can only work if Garrett and Washington Counties get on board. I feel pretty certain Garrett will. It's time all three western counties form an athletic coalition. Been a very long time coming.

7 games maximum. I still think Alco/FH should play Thanksgiving Day for tradition. Even if only 250 fans allowed in stadium. Maybe get a waiver for that day and allow 1000. Plenty of room in the stadium to social distance with 1000-2000 fans.

Everyone would have to be off a week if that's the case, since there's an odd number of schools; I don't think it'd work where everyone would get the same number of games in. Nothing wrong with also playing Washington Co, or would they be allowed to play neighboring WV counties in the first week if there would be openings?

If it's just 8 games with no playoffs, why not the Allegany and Garrett schools play home and home? Cuts travel and keeps any monies to be made at the gates local.

Reactions: beall02
Garrett County B.O.E to vote this evening on whether to adapt plan that Allegany County did last night.

For some reason I missed the fact that there were only 5 schools in the two counties. Probably because I was so excited to possibly have football back. They would need at least one school to join those five in order to make it work.

I don't think WV is interested in playing MD schools at all. I am not sure if it would even be allowed. Not to mention if a MD school were to play WV schools, they would be at a big disadvantage since WV would mostly be done their season.

Garrett County voted unanimously this evening to go with the Oct 7 start.

Yes beall, based on listening to the meeting, sounds like playing WV is not an option

Reactions: beall02
Washington County B.O.E. voted tonight NOT to resume practice. They also stated that practice wouldn't resume any earlier than Oct 12th. And that date isn't guaranteed. It was only mentioned as the earliest possible date.

That is disappointing news for Allegany and Garrett County schools.

Confirming again...
Garrett County and Allegany County start practicing Oct. 7
Washington County is done in regards to playing sports this fall.
I have not heard yet from Frederick County but the feedback I'm getting is no for this fall.

Understand that the COVID metrics for Washington and Frederick Counties is high right now. If they were in WV they would be in the red color scheme and could not play.

At present, Allegany and Garrett have a no out-of-state policy when it comes to opponents.

Carroll County voted yes on Oct. 7. So the hope is that while the 5 Allegany/Garrett schools play each other, that during the bye week that team could maybe play a team from another county. That decision or guidance has not been made clear yet as all this shifts daily. I'm certain more counties will get on board so we wait and see over the next week.

I know this continues to be a fluid situation. I know football is where the bread is buttered, but considering soccer, volleyball, and cross country, I sure hope we are considering Bishop Walsh (very specifically BW and what they are doing/are they doing what Allegany & Garrett are?), Calvary, and Lighthouse. We could make up a nice little 8-week schedule between those teams. I'm sure Calvary would be open to some games, if they can fit it into their schedule. I think Lighthouse may only have girls varsity volleyball, but it's worth a phone call.

I like the 7-game local schedule with a bye week to potentially pick up a Carroll County school. Even if you don't get a Carroll County school, 7 games is better than 0 games. Will the ACPS BOE finally allow Commercial Video to carry games live? That is the question.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
I know this continues to be a fluid situation. I know football is where the bread is buttered, but considering soccer, volleyball, and cross country, I sure hope we are considering Bishop Walsh (very specifically BW and what they are doing/are they doing what Allegany & Garrett are?), Calvary, and Lighthouse. We could make up a nice little 8-week schedule between those teams. I'm sure Calvary would be open to some games, if they can fit it into their schedule. I think Lighthouse may only have girls varsity volleyball, but it's worth a phone call.

I like the 7-game local schedule with a bye week to potentially pick up a Carroll County school. Even if you don't get a Carroll County school, 7 games is better than 0 games. Will the ACPS BOE finally allow Commercial Video to carry games live? That is the question.

I agree with You but I am pretty sure the BOE already made it clear that None of The 3 Allegany County Schools Can play BW in any sport Boy's or Girl's even though they should.

If we can't get another school from outside Allegany/Garrett county, we are looking at only two local games per week with one school idle for that week. That is Mt. Ridge, Alco, FH, Southern and Northern.

It looks like Frankfort will sit out this week due to Berkeley Springs got COVIDED for this week anyway. It would be nice to get the local WV team to fill in in those type of situations, but like was said earlier...I doubt that.

I was thinking along the lines of Bedford, Chestnut Ridge, the team in Uniontown or even Somerset to fill in some holes and vice versa. I assume that the JV teams will be in this mix as well, hope so but would not bet on it.

I have also heard the BOE is saying that total of 250 people will be allowed in Greenway for games including the teams, refs and cheerleaders. That will allow maybe 75 people to attend the games give or take team sizes. No mention of concession stands to open or those that volunteers to manage the ticket booths.

It will be interesting and I am glad they are at least allowing games to happen and we are considering that all this may be for naught if one or two of the five teams start to show symptoms of COVID...then it will be over! Fingers crossed that that don't happen and a few more people can come to games...we'll soon find out.

If we can't get another school from outside Allegany/Garrett county, we are looking at only two local games per week with one school idle for that week. That is Mt. Ridge, Alco, FH, Southern and Northern.

It looks like Frankfort will sit out this week due to Berkeley Springs got COVIDED for this week anyway. It would be nice to get the local WV team to fill in in those type of situations, but like was said earlier...I doubt that.

I was thinking along the lines of Bedford, Chestnut Ridge, the team in Uniontown or even Somerset to fill in some holes and vice versa. I assume that the JV teams will be in this mix as well, hope so but would not bet on it.

I have also heard the BOE is saying that total of 250 people will be allowed in Greenway for games including the teams, refs and cheerleaders. That will allow maybe 75 people to attend the games give or take team sizes. No mention of concession stands to open or those that volunteers to manage the ticket booths.

It will be interesting and I am glad they are at least allowing games to happen and we are considering that all this may be for naught if one or two of the five teams start to show symptoms of COVID...then it will be over! Fingers crossed that that don't happen and a few more people can come to games...we'll soon find out.
If they let the media in... and they are definitely going to want to let some in with it being the only way for the vast majority of fans to follow ... their won't really be any spectators allowed. Won't be able to get all the radio stations, the paper and TV guys all in the press box either. So they'll have limited access as well I'd imagine.

We are a week away from when Dr. Salmon announced the ability for local jurisdictions to decide on whether or not to start the fall sports season on October 7th. It is also less than a week away from that Oct 7th resume date. Thus far, only Allegany and Garrett counties in Maryland have voted to start the fall sports season on that date. Several jurisdictions have came out and voted or stated NO on that date. They include Washington, Frederick, Carroll, Baltimore, Harford, Howard, Anne Arundel, Montgomery and Prince George's counties. Some of those (Washington, Baltimore, Harford, Montgomery and Prince George's) have flat out came out and said that they will not start fall sports until early 2021. While others (Carroll, Frederick, Howard and Anne Arundel) have said that they will address the issue at their next regularly scheduled board of education meeting in early October.

As of right now, it looks like it will only be Allegany and Garrett County schools playing fall sports in late October. One would hope that Frederick and Carroll counties get on board when they vote in less than a week.

Has anyone heard anything about a plan for other sports, soccer, volleyball etc, with only Allegany and Garrett giving the green light it obviously would make a very limited schedule

Has anyone heard anything about a plan for other sports, soccer, volleyball etc, with only Allegany and Garrett giving the green light it obviously would make a very limited schedule
Very limited schedule in volleyball and soccer is better than no schedule. 4 teams home and away is 8 games right there. 8 > 0. And also consider BW, Calvary play those sports.

Regardless of when football starts for each county there will be no playoff system.

To repeat: Montgomery, PG and Baltimore Counties will not be playing sports in the spring either. Unless COVID is some how magically eradicated.

The football schedules are set.

Northern and Southern are playing twice (home and home) and Allegany, FH, Mtn Ridge once (5 games total)

Allegany, FH, Mtn Ridge will play each other twice (home and home) and Northern, Southern once (6 games total)

Question for TDHelmick.

Is there definitely no opportunity for State Championship play if the local schools wait until the 2nd semester?

Thank you in advance.

Will there be state tournaments or championships?
The MPSSAA recognizes the highest risk, according to the CDC, is increased participation opportunities that includes statewide competitions among different geographic areas. This reality places state championships or culminating events in jeopardy depending on the sport.
Each respective sport will be evaluated by the MPSSAA on an individual basis to make
calculated and informed decisions dependent on the characteristics of the MPSSAA-administered sport, the number of programs being administered by member schools, and local and state health department guidance on the status quo of statewide participation. The MPSSAA will look for creative ways regarding these types of events and make decisions as we get closer to the second semester.

Question for TDHelmick.

Is there definitely no opportunity for State Championship play if the local schools wait until the 2nd semester?

Thank you in advance.

The MPSSAA recognizes the highest risk, according to the CDC, is increased participation opportunities that includes statewide competitions among different geographic areas. This reality places state championships or culminating events in jeopardy depending on the sport.
Each respective sport will be evaluated by the MPSSAA on an individual basis to make
calculated and informed decisions dependent on the characteristics of the MPSSAA-administered sport, the number of programs being administered by member schools, and local and state health department guidance on the status quo of statewide participation. The MPSSAA will look for creative ways regarding these types of events and make decisions as we get closer to the second semester.

Now that we have some counties doing Oct 7 starts, there will never be a state playoff in any sport for this 2020-21 school year. By allowing some schools to start Oct 7 and others 2nd semester, the MPSSAA ended any thought of a state post season. Not that we were going to have one any way with the 2nd semester plan as there are currently only 5 weeks to play games for each sport.

In short, there is no way to declare a state champion without everyone participating on the same timeline.

Keep in mind, this all changes daily. I would not be surprised if some counties opt to start winter sports in November, which then allows a longer fall and spring sport season 2nd semester. This makes the best sense. Because 5 weeks is not enough under the current 2nd semester plan. Also note that many counties have told me there is no way they will have a 2nd semester of sports either due to COVID concerns.

What the MPSSAA has said for those starting Oct 7 is that the week of Dec 19 is called a "culminating activity" for scheduling. For football, that can mean the two best teams in this WestMAC can play a title game that week. The hopes in the west are that maybe Washington County could have started this fall and the champion of the WestMAC cold play the champion of Washington County that week. But that is more of a regional championship, not a state thing. Other sports such as soccer will possibly hold a WestMAC or regional tournament that week of Dec. 19.

In answer to your question, the MPSSAA will give allowance for counties to decide if they want a regional/county champion playoff some way. There will be no state championship playoff.

Question for TDHelmick.

Thank you in advance.

I will also add that the MPSSAA has told counties that chose to start Oct 7, that they can still participate in the spring as well. In other words, if COVID or other issues cause these fall sports to have games cancelled or the season disrupted, they can try again in the spring. This was a deciding factor for Allegany and Garrett Counties. Because coaches kept asking, "what if COVID cancels our 1st semester season, does that mean we can't go in the spring either?". Yes they can.

Washington County decided to do a complete 180 tonight. They will start fall sports on/or about October 27th.

Reactions: Lagmeister
Has the schedule been posted?
I had the dates but then on Friday they changed. Then they changed again today. So no posting of schedules yet and even when they do it may change daily. With Washington County on board for fall it could change again.

The issue right now is still attendance. Only 250 people allowed in stadiums which includes players, coaches, cheerleaders, band. That means not a single parent can come in and watch their child. This has to change or mothers will pitch forks will have to be arrested. I suspect it will stay at 250 people but will not include actual participants on the field like players, coaches and cheerleaders.

I was also told no concessions this year.

It all changes daily though.

One thing that I have learned from this year, this pandemic, THINGS CHANGE DAILY! So you can't take what you hear today as gospel. Washington County is all the proof you need of that particular statement. One thing is for sure... parents are really pushing for schools and sports to resume. I sure hope for these kids sake that they are able to get a fall sports season in.

Reactions: Jailerman
If the season actually does start, y'all realize none of you will be able to watch in person, right? Including Dave Christopher...whose streak will end.

The BOE has submitted a plea to the governor to at least reword the capacity of 250 to NOT include participants. I highly doubt it gets waived, but regardless, even so that will BARELY be enough to allow parents of participants to attend, and probably will not allow for siblings, etc to attend. With Allegany already halting practice, and at least one kid (not necessarily associated with football) in very bad shape in a Pittsburgh hospital following the careless private social gatherings associated with the dances last weekend, I see this continuing to become a statistical nightmare.

And if anyone wants to keep harping on the very small percentage of kids contracting/dying, and the assertion that life has to go on; would you be willing to contact the parents of the above child who is sick in the hospital and let them know that their child is expendable because your kid needs to play what amounts to a bunch of exhibition scrimmages? I'm sure they'd love to hear your reasoning.

If the season actually does start, y'all realize none of you will be able to watch in person, right? Including Dave Christopher...whose streak will end.

The BOE has submitted a plea to the governor to at least reword the capacity of 250 to NOT include participants. I highly doubt it gets waived, but regardless, even so that will BARELY be enough to allow parents of participants to attend, and probably will not allow for siblings, etc to attend. With Allegany already halting practice, and at least one kid (not necessarily associated with football) in very bad shape in a Pittsburgh hospital following the careless private social gatherings associated with the dances last weekend, I see this continuing to become a statistical nightmare.

And if anyone wants to keep harping on the very small percentage of kids contracting/dying, and the assertion that life has to go on; would you be willing to contact the parents of the above child who is sick in the hospital and let them know that their child is expendable because your kid needs to play what amounts to a bunch of exhibition scrimmages? I'm sure they'd love to hear your reasoning.

Well Said Fhhsahs! Then someone like lags thinks we all should be sympathetic towards someones financial hardships. When these same people cannot be sympathetic towards others. Nor can they fathom the thought that saving lives at this point outweighs someones social need to go to a bar, resteraunt, hs football game. We're in Pandemic for Christ's sake.
Yes, COVID-19 has killed more Americans in 8 months than the flu in 5 years.

That's with social distancing practices in place. Could you imagine what the numbers would be if everyone didn't take precautions? Could you also imagine if these snowflakes that are whining about masks and not being able to watch HS sports were actually ever really inconvenienced? Like being racially profiled, Jim Crowe, or not being able to live in certain areas because the local, state and federal housing policies that mandated segregation. Not being able to get a mortgage because "the Federal Housing Administration, which was established in 1934, furthered the segregation efforts by refusing to insure mortgages in and near African-American neighborhoods"? Actual inconveniences that other people have lived with their entire lives. Yeah but you're inconvenienced because you might not be able to watch a HS scrimmage bc the local Health Dept has decided the need to actually protect the children, you falsely claim to care about, outweighs your viewing pleasure...

Last edited:
Reactions: OneRing

And if anyone wants to keep harping on the very small percentage of kids contracting/dying,..........would you be willing to contact the parents of the above child who is sick in the hospital and let them know that their child is expendable..... I'm sure they'd love to hear your reasoning.

I have to say that I am aghast... nonplussed... and completely astounded at what the **** you are suggesting here. It is almost as though some political nutbag paid you to post this totally unbelievable and completely bullshit attempt at tugging one's heartstrings.

You cannot possibly believe what you just posted..... right? In a town where a high proportion of young people are dying from drug overdoses because they live in an uninvolved, directionless and impoverished town, where the main employer is a ****ing prison.... you... you have the balls to suggest that the lockdown should continue because nobody should be able to tell parents their child has the Kung flu..... where no child under 10 has died and only 2 under 20 yrs of age have actually died from it in the entire state... and even those 2 could either be 'presumed' or 'died with' Kung flu, having actually died from a drug overdose or a multitude of other causes.

You want to continue to abuse and cheat the kids out of what might be their only positive experience this year when, in fact, the ****ing town is collapsing around them? Are you that stupid or that callous.... or both?

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
Well Said Fhhsahs! Then someone like lags thinks we all should be sympathetic towards someones financial hardships. When these same people cannot be sympathetic towards others. Nor can they fathom the thought that saving lives at this point outweighs someones social need to go to a bar, resteraunt, hs football game. We're in Pandemic for Christ's sake.
Yes, COVID-19 has killed more Americans in 8 months than the flu in 5 years.

That's with social distancing practices in place. Could you imagine what the numbers would be if everyone didn't take precautions? Could you also imagine if these snowflakes that are whining about masks and not being able to watch HS sports were actually ever really inconvenienced? Like being racially profiled, Jim Crowe, or not being able to live in certain areas because the local, state and federal housing policies that mandated segregation. Not being able to being able to get a mortgage because "the Federal Housing Administration, which was established in 1934, furthered the segregation efforts by refusing to insure mortgages in and near African-American neighborhoods"? Actual inconveniences that other people have lived with their entire lives. Yeah but you're inconvenienced because you might not be able to watch a HS scrimmage bc the local Health Dept has decided the need to actually protect the children, you falsely claim to care about, outweighs your viewing pleasure...

Yep.... everybody but you.... the chose race... are devils.

And if anyone wants to keep harping on the very small percentage of kids contracting/dying,..........would you be willing to contact the parents of the above child who is sick in the hospital and let them know that their child is expendable..... I'm sure they'd love to hear your reasoning.

I have to say that I am aghast... nonplussed... and completely astounded at what the **** you are suggesting here. It is almost as though some political nutbag paid you to post this totally unbelievable and completely bullshit attempt at tugging one's heartstrings.

Okay, we get it...you think a certain number of people are expendable. I dont. Thats a fundamental difference between us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT