ADVERTISEMENT

FHSAA (Florida) Handing Out 3-year Postseason Bans for Broken Game Contracts

eaglesinsider

All Region Poster
Feb 18, 2013
This would fix the problem in MD but I doubt the MPSSAA has the guts to do it:
"Last week’s cancellation of their home matchup with Frostproof has the Trinity Prep Saints in hot water with the Florida Athletic High School Association — and the cost is high.

Due to the Saints breaking bylaw 8.4 in the FHSAA Handbook, the program has been slapped with a three year postseason ban starting this year and continuing through the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

The bylaw itself deals with contracts between schools, which must be executed by the school’s principal, designated FHSAA representative or athletic director.

For schools to cancel a contract, article 8.4.2 states that they must be "canceled by mutual consent any time at least seven (7) days prior to the event.”

https://www.orangeobserver.com/arti...eason-to-trinity-prep-football-observer-preps

You cannot enforce such a thing against non-league members. Out-of-state and private schools are not bound by local state public rules.

I have had teams cancel contracts on four separate occasions. The only response is to not think twice if you need to drop somebody. Every man for himself in today's world. Which can make for a bad situation.

Last edited:
This would fix the problem in MD but I doubt the MPSSAA has the guts to do it:
"Last week’s cancellation of their home matchup with Frostproof has the Trinity Prep Saints in hot water with the Florida Athletic High School Association — and the cost is high.

Due to the Saints breaking bylaw 8.4 in the FHSAA Handbook, the program has been slapped with a three year postseason ban starting this year and continuing through the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

The bylaw itself deals with contracts between schools, which must be executed by the school’s principal, designated FHSAA representative or athletic director.

For schools to cancel a contract, article 8.4.2 states that they must be "canceled by mutual consent any time at least seven (7) days prior to the event.”

https://www.orangeobserver.com/arti...eason-to-trinity-prep-football-observer-preps

As Helmick touched on, private schools and out of state schools still wouldn't have to follow that.

Maryland could work with Pa, Va and WV to come to some sort of agreement to honor each other's bylaws when it comes to that, setting a standard punishment, but that's unlikely.

You cannot enforce such a thing against non-league members. Out-of-state and private schools are not bound by local state public rules.

I have had teams cancel contracts on four separate occasions. The only response is to not think twice if you need to drop somebody. Every man for himself in today's world. Which can make for a bad situation.

I like the rule. It makes sense that it is currently in place in Florida. Not as unique a situation as MD is, as far as schools playing so many other schools either out of state or private. I would like the MPSSAA to at least consider something like that for member schools. As far as out of state or private schools I think you could add something to the rule... like if they are out of state or private they receive a ban of similar nature on the ability to schedule or play a member school for that amount of time. It isn't as severe a penalty as not being able to qualify for the playoffs but still penalizes the team for such a situation. And in a case, for example, like Frankfort (And I am only using them as an example) not being able to schedule MPSSAA members would hurt them. It is at least food for thought.

This rule would be dead in the water as soon as it was brought up for a vote. I still think that forcing sectional play similar to what Pa does is the best route. Each region is already divided for basketball, it's a no brainer. Let the top two in each section play the top two in the other section. That way you still have your regional playoffs, which is what the State wants anyway. At least there would be no ducking opponents and you could schedule anyone else you would want without fear of being left out of the post season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT