ADVERTISEMENT

FH Football Camp brings 239 participants

BrianH1974

Blue Chip Poster
May 2, 2005
That is crazy. Football alive and well in Cumberland.

Does Alco still have their camp? Cannot remember if it was always before or after the FH camp. I do know there was a large array of Alco youth league kids at the FH camp.

That is crazy. Football alive and well in Cumberland.

Does Alco still have their camp? Cannot remember if it was always before or after the FH camp. I do know there was a large array of Alco youth league kids at the FH camp.
So no one cares what high school kids do at a 7-on-7 (your words), but everyone cares what middle school kids are doing at a football camp?

To use your own words against you again, 'I realize you don't have much going for ya these days, but if what little kids do at the field during the summer gets you going, have at it.

239 kids at a camp in this county is relevant. If some of them got into an argument or fight and left early correct, I dont care. But if that is what interests you, again have at it. That thread is stI'll on this forum. Jump right in.

Last edited:
239 kids at a camp in this county is relevant. If some of them got into an argument or fight and left early correct, I dont care. But if that is what interests you, again have at it. That thread is stI'll on this forum. Jump right in.
As you said, nobody cares what kids do during the summer, but if being up on the latest on middle schoolers is your thing, have at it.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
The main thing here is that 239 kids got off their phones and off their couches in the summer to participate in ANY outdoor activity. I don't care what sport it is I'm glad to see it,. The fact that it is a sport I love to follow just makes it that much better. Good for them and the FH camp. It is encouraging for the future. I know there are a lot of rivalries on this board but sometimes a statement is just that... a statement. Just hoping some of the negative comments don't keep people from posting when they have something football related to share. Many of us just enjoy the info during these doldrums of summer. R.I.P. Duffy Fudge!

The main thing here is that 239 kids got off their phones and off their couches in the summer to participate in ANY outdoor activity. I don't care what sport it is I'm glad to see it,. The fact that it is a sport I love to follow just makes it that much better. Good for them and the FH camp. It is encouraging for the future. I know there are a lot of rivalries on this board but sometimes a statement is just that... a statement. Just hoping some of the negative comments don't keep people from posting when they have something football related to share. Many of us just enjoy the info during these doldrums of summer. R.I.P. Duffy Fudge!
That's what I told Brian. He said no one cares what they do in the summer.

I agree with you. Maybe I'm missing something but is the FH camp only for kids that will eventually go to FH? Is that how it works in Cumberland? I send my son to all the camps (football and basketball) regardless of whether it's the high school he's planning to attend. If you read Brian's original post he said, "Does Alco still have their camp" - so basically he wanted to take a shot at Alco, lol.

For the record, Allegany had about 140 kids come out to their camp. One good thing Hansel is doing is establishing connections with the youth league coaches. It's sad how something that basic was neglected by the previous head coach.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
Just for clarity I was not busting on Alco in the least. I honestly did not know whether they still had a camp or not. I'm glad they do.

Does this mean alco could pick up freshman football again?

I was thinking the same thing. It would be a shame for the Allegany youth to attend camps to better themselves only to have to loose a year of football in the 9th grade.

I agree with you. Maybe I'm missing something but is the FH camp only for kids that will eventually go to FH? Is that how it works in Cumberland? I send my son to all the camps (football and basketball) regardless of whether it's the high school he's planning to attend. If you read Brian's original post he said, "Does Alco still have their camp" - so basically he wanted to take a shot at Alco, lol.

For the record, Allegany had about 140 kids come out to their camp. One good thing Hansel is doing is establishing connections with the youth league coaches. It's sad how something that basic was neglected by the previous head coach.
I would say hansels establishment of connections came from the fact that 3 years ago he was coaching on the youth level.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
I don't see Allegany having a freshman team. They arent losing a year of football they still play. Many large schools do not have Freshman teams.

If all 239 of those kids were from FH feeder programs, it would be even more astounding. But kids from all over go to that camp, not just FH bound kids.

And, while I dont always agree with BrianH, I didn't take his question to be a jab about the Alco summer camp at all. Why so defensive? I was interested to know if and how many kids they had as well. I'm sure out of the 370 some kids who attended both of those camps there was a decent percentage attending both. But still, I think those numbers are all pretty promising.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
I was thinking the same thing. It would be a shame for the Allegany youth to attend camps to better themselves only to have to loose a year of football in the 9th grade.
How does Allegany kids loose a year of football in the 9th grade?

Reactions: Lagmeister

Seems to me that all 9th graders at Alco that want to play will play JV. The better 10th graders will play varsity - so, in reality, all young men at Alco will be playing up, not losing opportunities. The JV may lose more games, but if you can play.... you will play.

I would think that freshman football at FH accounts for an overflow of those who want to play but could not make JV because of the high numbers there... and that's fine. What FH is doing is fine. What Alco is doing is equally fine. Nobody is losing out.

As time goes on, it will be interesting to see how many parents make moves for their child to get into the new school or play DeMatha. When the time came, I wanted my sons to go to a certain high school... so I moved.

Seems to me that all 9th graders at Alco that want to play will play JV. The better 10th graders will play varsity - so, in reality, all young men at Alco will be playing up, not losing opportunities. The JV may lose more games, but if you can play.... you will play.

I would think that freshman football at FH accounts for an overflow of those who want to play but could not make JV because of the high numbers there... and that's fine. What FH is doing is fine. What Alco is doing is equally fine. Nobody is losing out.

As time goes on, it will be interesting to see how many parents make moves for their child to get into the new school or play DeMatha. When the time came, I wanted my sons to go to a certain high school... so I moved.
I think you are correct. If memory serves me correctly at least 6 or 7 freshman kids started on the JV teamthat finshed 6-2-1 and dismantled FH's JV team in little homecoming. Also true the 6 or 7 that started are now on varsity.

Basically the freshman that should be seeing playing time on the freshman level are now sitting on the bench behind the 10th graders that are on JV.
Lag touched on it in his post above. Alco has the low numbers where everyone is getting playing time and not losing a year.
You look at a place like FH or dematha for that matter where their are 60 or so kids between the jv and freshman level. If they were to drop freshman football then their freshman would be basically losing a year of football.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Basically the freshman that should be seeing playing time on the freshman level are now sitting on the bench behind the 10th graders that are on JV.
Lag touched on it in his post above. Alco has the low numbers where everyone is getting playing time and not losing a year.
You look at a place like FH or dematha for that matter where their are 60 or so kids between the jv and freshman level. If they were to drop freshman football then their freshman would be basically losing a year of football.
Those same kids lose at least a year when they get to varsity and sit behind seniors as juniors, and maybe even sit behind juniors as seniors.

I've never known any player who went from bad to good because of freshman football.

Those same kids lose at least a year when they get to varsity and sit behind seniors as juniors, and maybe even sit behind juniors as seniors.

I've never known any player who went from bad to good because of freshman football.
I meant to add about sitting as a junior or senior but kept it to only freshman so I’m glad you brought it up.
I look at freshman football as a way for the kids to get put in game situations that don’t happen when their only practicing with jv.

I would assume also that schools with a full pipeline from freshman through varsity have a whole lot more players sit in general. Eventually, it becomes a numbers game.

if the coaches think a Freshman is gonna be good they will get him playing time on the JV, if not it doesn't matter, the good players will play and the others are just happy to say they were on the team.

I would almost bet you never see a freshman team at Alco again, that is not a bad thing. Ask the coaches and I am sure you would see they would like to see it this this way

If you think playing 9 games and then waiting a year to play again then yes, not having a freshman team hrurts

A team with 9th and 10th graders will be better than a team with just 10th graders.

Much the same as a team with 11th and 12th graders will be better than a team with just 12th graders.

So when Alco and FH meet at little homecoming that is a distinct advantage for Alco. But long term getting all those 9th graders playing time they normally wouldn't get is a distinct advantage for FH. Just the way I see it.

A team with 9th and 10th graders will be better than a team with just 10th graders.

Much the same as a team with 11th and 12th graders will be better than a team with just 12th graders.

So when Alco and FH meet at little homecoming that is a distinct advantage for Alco. But long term getting all those 9th graders playing time they normally wouldn't get is a distinct advantage for FH. Just the way I see it.
You could say due to the numbers FH has a distinct advantage on all levels of football..

How soon do people forget? Fort Hill has had freshmen on it's JV team for several years now. The freshmen team then plays with what is left. This may be why Fort Hill is so deep on the varsity level.

How soon do people forget? Fort Hill has had freshmen on it's JV team for several years now. The freshmen team then plays with what is left. This may be why Fort Hill is so deep on the varsity level.
And since so few schools have freshmen teams for FH to play, its almost like having two jayvee teams.

This ongoing debate about the benefits of freshman football is based purely on opinion, no factual analysis is taking place. When you look at reality very few (if any) of the top publics in the state have freshman squads, so why do you believe it's so helpful? Friendship and Dunbar don't have freshman squads. Did your freshman tradition help you win those games last season? If Silver Oak had a freshman program would they have fared any better against FH last year? It makes for spirited August convo but there's no evidence that says a freshman team helps your overall program.

Last edited:
Reactions: cumbfanatic
IMO it gives more kids a chance to play, honestly the kids that are going to be studs will be studs regardless of having a frosh team. Playing freshman football did not make Ty the RB he is now, it didnt make Robinette the player he was. But at the end of the day this is high school, these are kids and the more opportunities kids have to do something they enjoy is a good thing regardless of whether or not it provides any competitive advantage

My father played football for FH in 1957-1960. They only had JV ball back in those days. He says 230 kids tried out. Only about 50 made the team. Even better...my mother was a cheerleader at FH from 1958-1961. The cheerleaders only had varsity. She made varsity cheerleader as a freshman. They only had 6 cheerleaders and 200 tried out. More proud of my mom than my dad. LOL. Of course FH had an enrollment of 2300 students then.

Just think if a team had 230 kids try out now-a-days. Since players can no longer be cut from the team and with everybody participant receiving a trophy. ...that could get kinda pricey just in the cost of the trophies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT